Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs DT McCoy misses Rays first pitch due to accident « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 26, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »

Bucs DT McCoy misses Rays first pitch due to accident

ANDREW ASTLEFORD 

Fox Sports Florida

Published: Saturday, May 25, 2013, 5:15pm

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. --

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy was scheduled to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before a game Saturday between the Tampa Bay Rays and New York Yankees, but he never received the chance.

McCoy was involved in a minor accident on his way to Tropicana Field and missed the scheduled 4:02 p.m. throw. The Rays said he is fine, and McCoy confirmed his condition via a tweet.

Gerald McCoy        ✔ @Geraldini93

Apologies to all. Got in a car accident on way to game and it caused me to miss. Everybody is ok.

1:19 PM - 25 May 2013

Thanx for all the concern. I'm ok. And at  the game and rooting for @RaysBaseball. Preciate all the love!!
1:30 PM - 25 May 2013

McCoy had anticipated making the appearance. How would he have done? That will stay an unknown.

Throwing out first pitch @RaysBaseball game against Yankees today. Be there!! @DAVIDprice14 watch ya back. Haha
7:05 AM - 25 May 2013

Not gonna lie people I'm gonna fly it down there. Forget pitching it for real I'd rather throw it over the plate then not get it there. Haha
7:09 AM - 25 May 2013

McCoy, taken as the third overall pick in 2010, made his first Pro Bowl appearance after last season. He had a career-high 30 tackles and five sacks.

NFL stars' first pitches aren't always on target

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer      NFL.COM

Published:  May 26, 2013 at 10:25 p.m.

NFL Network's Rich Eisen threw out the first pitch at Dodger Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

NFL stars throwing out the first pitch

Check out some of the best photos of NFL players and coaches throwing out the first pitch at baseball games.

Things went smoothly, as this Vine tweeted out by the Dodgers proves. Bully for Rich, who ensured he won't appear on a blooper reel with Baba Booey any time soon.

Since you asked (no, you didn't), there are three keys to a truly successful first pitch:

1) Throw from the rubber: Unless you're a senior citizen or otherwise physically unable, get up on the hill. None of this pitching-from-in-front-of-the-mound garbage. Would you start "The Star-Spangled Banner" at "And the rocket's red glare?" Of course not. So why is it OK here?

2) Put some heat on it: Too often, you see supreme athletes go the lolly-pop route. Make no mistake: This is a decision bred out of fear of failure.You welcomed the moment, so own it. This throw also is known as The Revis (see below).

3) Reach the catcher: Fairly self explanatory. You don't want to bounce it, or roll it or Mariah it. Just get it there on a fly. That's all the crowd that's half paying attention wants.

Since you're barbecuing and I'm working on my computer, I decided to search YouTube for some first pitches from NFLers. Here are a few I found, in no particular order.

Thrown from the rubber? No
 Heat on it? No
 Reach the catcher? Yes

This one is pretty dreadful. How can the best cornerback on the planet throw like my Aunt Brenda? New York Jets fans felt a little better about the trade after this.

Grade: D

Thrown from rubber? No
 Heat on it? (Hell) Yes
 Reach the catcher? Yes

The Ol' Gunslinger just lets it rip here. We can even forgive him for not going off the mound (this probably is because he wanted to get back to his truck as soon as possible). If this was a movie, the old scout with the cigar in his mouth would look down at a radar gun that reads 99 and say, "I'll be damned."

Grade: A-

Thrown from rubber? No
 Heat on it? No
 Reach the catcher? Yes

Savvy move by Eli here. When you're holding your daughter in one arm, nobody is going to expect greatness. Actually, our favorite part of the video is Manning's laughable sales pitch written by a collaborative think-tank at Pampers Corp.

"Obviously, as an athlete I always want to be in the best gear. So, I want the same for my family. That's why I always have Ava in Pampers."

If you look close enough, you can see the reflection of the paycheck in Eli's eyes.

Pitch Grade: B
Diaper Pitch Grade: C

Thrown from rubber? Yes
 Heat on it? Yes
 Reach the catcher? Yes

Now this is how you do it. Coach toes the rubber, gives us a wind-up, puts something behind it and gets it to Yankees catcher Russell Martin on the fly. Coughlin also wore a glove, which is a level of committment you don't often see. The only thing keeping this from a perfect grade is pitch location.

Grade: A

Thrown from rubber? Yes
 Heat on it? Yes
 Reach the catcher? Yes

Romo hits everything on the checklist, but an active NFL quarterback works under a harsher grading curve. You gotta throw a strike there, Tony. Romo criticism is boundless.

Grade: B-

Thrown from rubber? No
 Heat on it? No
 Reach the catcher? No

A particularly egregious effort when you factor in that Robinson was a three-year starting quarterback for Michigan. In a related story, the fifth-round draft pick is being groomed for a non-QB role with the Jaguars.

This is maybe the Citizen Kane of bad NFL first pitches, and for that, Shoelace earns the Gentleman's F.

Grade: D-

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.
« : May 27, 2013, 12:29:33 AM michael89156 »

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 26, 2013, 12:10:55 AM »

Glad GMC is all right. Too bad he didn't throw one out, it couldn't have been worse than Baba Booey's...

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 26, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »

Revis made his appointment.

Shame on you GMAC!

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #3 : May 26, 2013, 03:22:02 AM »

Glad GMC is all right. Too bad he didn't throw one out, it couldn't have been worse than Baba Booey's...

If it was Jerry Meals or Ángel Hernández I would do the same thing, except a nut shot.

ingey1968

Starter

« #4 : May 26, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »

Thats what happens when you tweet while driving....

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #5 : May 26, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »

Good thing McCoy didnt have Suh riding in the car with him. He would have been an eye witness to assault and battery.

ingey1968

Starter

« #6 : May 26, 2013, 09:41:12 AM »

Thats not a bad idea. That way he could have opened the car door for Gerald when they inspected the car. Seems to injure his arms anytime he has to use them

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #7 : May 26, 2013, 09:44:54 AM »

Haha!   Now that was good!

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
« #8 : May 26, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »

Wish I missed that game too.....

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 26, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »

Have to admit, that was the first thing that popped into my head.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 27, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »

Revis gets a D ?  His was a lot better than a few of those other ones.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs DT McCoy misses Rays first pitch due to accident « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools