Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is the market about to have a monumental crash? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #75 : June 24, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »

Sense someone suckling off a Big Government teat do you Von Mises?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #76 : June 24, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »

I might have used the term "nursing."

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #77 : June 24, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »

Might have been a better choice - I can see the logic

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

jbear

Pro Bowler

« #78 : June 27, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »

Mortgage rates skyrocket. Bonds in the tank. 

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/real_estate/mortgage-interest/index.html?iid=Lead

jbear

Pro Bowler

« #79 : June 27, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »

are you sure sky rocket is the right term? did you expect the rates to remain low indefinitely?  do you know the relationship between interest rates and bonds? did you think the Fed was going to continue to stimulate the economy indefinitely?

biggest jump in 26 years to me warrants the term "Skyrockets".  And yes, I do.

Quote from: morgan
did you expect the rates to remain low indefinitely?  do you know the relationship between interest rates and bonds? did you think the Fed was going to continue to stimulate the economy indefinitely?

I'm convinced you don't look at anything others post that may mess up your cozy little world view.  This has been commented on by many others.  Of course the fed has to stop QE at some point soon and the FED's actions, including QE are whats been keeping interest rates artificially low for a long time.  Unfortunately, the economy, while probably severly damaged by the actions of the FED, is happening under your guys watch.  He's let Bernake keep pulling the strings and refused to do what really needed to be done and some of us think this may be bad.  That is all.  I'm contrasting your "The Markets are up! YIPPIE!" little Obama sunshine bubbles.  There are some scary economic indicators.  We will see what happens.
« : June 27, 2013, 12:21:37 PM jbear »

Brahmal

Second String
« #80 : July 11, 2013, 11:46:35 PM »

I'm convinced you don't look at anything others post that may mess up your cozy little world view.  This has been commented on by many others.  Of course the fed has to stop QE at some point soon and the FED's actions, including QE are whats been keeping interest rates artificially low for a long time.  Unfortunately, the economy, while probably severly damaged by the actions of the FED, is happening under your guys watch.  He's let Bernake keep pulling the strings and refused to do what really needed to be done and some of us think this may be bad.  That is all.  I'm contrasting your "The Markets are up! YIPPIE!" little Obama sunshine bubbles.  There are some scary economic indicators.  We will see what happens.
Why would the Fed stop QE when unemployment is still high and inflation very low?

gone

Hall of Famer
« #81 : July 12, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »

Why would the Fed stop QE when unemployment is still high and inflation very low?

The stock market is riding the biggest fantasy bubble in history.  The crash is going to hurt.  There is no relationship between reality and the market at this point. 

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #82 : August 01, 2013, 07:58:54 PM »

Is the market about to have a monumental crash?

stay tuned...

still waiting

+128.48 (0.83%) today......all time high?

DejaVu

Starter

« #83 : August 01, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »

Nobody wants to have US dollars right now, so people are buying gold and investing in the market.   The US dollar is on the brink of a massive fall and US banks are about to go under.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #84 : August 01, 2013, 09:15:16 PM »

lol

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

jbear

Pro Bowler

« #85 : August 02, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »

I won't be jumping for joy when the dollar loses its status as reserve currency to the world and American's standard of living goes in the tank.  I'm just saying, that will happen and from the looks of the congress not being able to reign in spending probly sooner than later.  There are a LOT of economists talking about this now.  I get that the mainstream like Bernake are clinging to the old model but by any definition, QE3 is a dangerous move but the mainstream guys CAN"T let you know that.  They understand how much their house of cards has to do with confidence.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #86 : August 10, 2013, 06:29:59 AM »

From the top ranked financial planner in the country.........

Did You Stay Invested During the 2008 Economic Crisis?

By Ric Edelman
July 2013

Millions of Americans have less money in their investment accounts today than they did in 2008 — despite the fact that the S&P 500 Stock Index reached an all-time high in May.

The reason is obvious: During the 2008 credit crisis, millions of investors panicked and sold their stocks, bonds and mutual funds after those investments fell sharply in value. And by sitting in cash ever since, fearful of further price declines, they’ve essentially locked in their losses. So while the financial markets have recovered, the accounts of millions of people have not. It’s almost as if they are frozen in time.

But if you were among those who kept your investments and stayed focused on your long-term investment goals — and better yet, continued adding to them while prices were falling — you have been rewarded for your confidence and fortitude.

Proof comes from two studies recently released by Fidelity, the nation’s largest 401(k) provider, which examined data from more than 1.1 million employees working at tens of thousands of companies.

In the first study,1 Fidelity found that the average 401(k) balance reached a record high in December 2012. You might assume that a new record was set because workers kept up their contributions. And participants do defer an average of 8% of their salaries. Still, that’s not the reason account balances are so high.

Indeed, according to the study, about two-thirds of the jump in value came from market increases. So as important as it was that you kept contributing, it was even more important that you stayed invested in the first place.

The second Fidelity study2 produced an even more astonishing result. It examined the performance of workers’ accounts in a more segmented way, focusing only on those who stayed with the same company over the previous 10 years and made no changes from 2008 to 2012. In other words, these folks didn’t panic, didn’t stop contributing and stayed with the same investments.

What happened to their account values? They quadrupled.

The average account balance for those workers increased 324% over the 10-year period, from $47,100 to $199,800, according to Fidelity.

Even more revealing is that, during the same period, the S&P 500 rose only 62%. Thus employees who continued to do what they’d always been doing beat the market by a factor of five!

How could this be?

The answer: dollar cost averaging. By buying in 2008 and 2009 (when many others were selling), you were buying twice as many shares with each dollar as you’d buy today. When those shares rose in value, your account value grew exponentially.

That’s why it was so important that you stayed invested and kept investing during those crucial years. You have reaped the benefits. Congratulations!

1  Fidelity® Average 401(k) Balance Climbs to Record High at the End of 2012 – Fidelity, February 14, 2013.

2  Retirement balances of 401(k) faithfuls quadrupled in past decade – Reuters, February 13, 2013.

« : August 10, 2013, 06:33:11 AM Morgan »

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #87 : August 15, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »

Market down DJIA -200...must be that cataclysmic end of summer crash that was predicted

jbear

Pro Bowler

« #88 : August 15, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »

Market down DJIA -200...must be that cataclysmic end of summer crash that was predicted

The article you posted about dollar cost averaging was hilarious.  If that's news to you then you shouldn't even post in this thread....

That has been used as a sales tool for longer than I've been alive.  You could still make that true after a massive crash given the proper timeframes.  For example, if the timeframe began far enough in the past OR ended far enough in the future.  I for one am not calling for the end of days.  No matter how bad it was, dollar cost averaging will always be able to show the same thing when applied by an economist in a manipulative manner.   Cherrypicking.  Simple as that. 
« : August 15, 2013, 03:57:31 PM jbear »

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #89 : August 15, 2013, 05:29:23 PM »

The point of the article was that many of the doom-and-gloomers pulled their money out of the market several years ago and predicted a cataclysmic collapse in the market.  And they lost a great amount of potential earnings by doing so,.
  Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is the market about to have a monumental crash? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools