Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doctor stops accepting insurance « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« : May 29, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/27/news/portland/south-portland-doctor-stops-accepting-insurance-posts-prices-online/

Dr. Michael Ciampi took a step this spring that many of his fellow physicians would describe as radical.

The family physician stopped accepting all forms of health insurance. In early 2013, Ciampi sent a letter to his patients informing them that he would no longer accept any kind of health coverage, both private and government-sponsored. Given that he was now asking patients to pay for his services out of pocket, he posted his prices on the practice’s website.

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #1 : May 30, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »

He'd better be a damn good doctor to try to pull that off.   

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : May 30, 2013, 07:31:03 AM »

FP doctors can do that (treat minor ailments)- surgeons can't. Not a big deal - not really newsworthy.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 30, 2013, 07:31:47 AM »

His practice volume will drop significantly but so won't his overhead. Depending on how many patient's he has he could very easily have 2-4 full time workers just for handling insurance claims, disputes and straight up not paying. Don't blame him. If he could make a similar amount of money seeing less patients and not having the hassle of waiting for re-imbursement, why not?

I'm sure many people would pay the extra for actual time with their doctor. If you  live in NY and need to get in quickly, you usually don't see the MD, you see the PA or NP. I'm sure it's different in other states but then again NY has a significant problem with provider shortage, which WILL get worse.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

DejaVu

Starter

« #4 : May 30, 2013, 07:33:57 AM »

I will say that value for money (even with insurance) for medical in the US is the worst I have seen.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #5 : May 30, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »

His practice volume will drop significantly but so won't his overhead. Depending on how many patient's he has he could very easily have 2-4 full time workers just for handling insurance claims, disputes and straight up not paying. Don't blame him. If he could make a similar amount of money seeing less patients and not having the hassle of waiting for re-imbursement, why not?

I'm sure many people would pay the extra for actual time with their doctor. If you  live in NY and need to get in quickly, you usually don't see the MD, you see the PA or NP. I'm sure it's different in other states but then again NY has a significant problem with provider shortage, which WILL get worse.

In some cases it isn't even paying extra for the patient.  I know what he is charging for the simple in office surgery is generally less than I pay through insurance

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 30, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »

I will say that value for money (even with insurance) for medical in the US is the worst I have seen.

Malpractice insurance is through the roof, why? Because people are bringing lawsuits against their physicians. When this happens the malpractice company takes the cheap way out every time. Is it cheaper to defend you against a bogus lawsuit or just to pay off the patient and get rid of it. Setting out of court for $10,000 to $20,000 is far far cheaper than actually having to defend.

Right or wrong, tests are ordered, exams are done, not that are needed to diagnose but needed to build a case against getting sued, just in case. Doctors are not fought for in court the way they should so they do what they have to, to not go to court. It is what it is and the defensive medicine will not stop until the lawsuits stop. That's not going to happen so the unneeded testing will continue.

- Everyone

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #7 : May 30, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »

If you have taken the drug Zoloft and experienced anal leakage, warts, flatulence, or ED, you may be entitled to compensation.

Call 1-800-Sue them

If you or a loved one has used the IUD device "Tinkerbell" and now cannot have children or are experiencing PMS, cramps, or mood swings, we can get you FREE MONEY

Call 1-888-schyster

If you were involved in the testing of the drug Lipozoidinal 7-L and you now have a fear of banana pudding, you may be entitled to a huge check

Call 1-877-slimebag ext 3

yep hundreds of these ads on TV and we wonder why health care and medicines are soooo damn expensive.

I believe Shakespeare had the best answer to start to fix the HC system.

step 1- kill all the lawyers

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #8 : May 30, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »

Excessive and frivolous litigation is no doubt a major problem, so is the woosification of America

this could solve other problems as well including some you have identified here in the cove .....

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #9 : May 30, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »

I believe Shakespeare had the best answer to start to fix the HC system.

I actually agree that tort reform is very important, both in general and specifically as involves HC. It is, however, only one of several reasons HC costs are so high.

I even agree with Shakespeare --- to a point, the caveat being that the lawyers who bring those frivolous lawsuits need jurors, so you might have to kills the jurors too,  and those same lawyers need plaintiffs, i.e., everyday people like you and me, so we would have to kill them too, and the jurors would not be so willing to return big verdicts against drug companies (and other companies) if they didn't in fact do bad things to people, so might have to kills the companies too . . .  which brings us back to tort reform . . . because we cant go around killing all those people and human beings are not going to change whether they are lawyers, plaintiffs, jurors or employees of HC companies . . .  the actual answer is broad tort reform, taking some of the money out of the system while still protecting consumers . . .  as much as we might want to kill a bunch of people.  ;)

(Funny side note is that some lawyers are so sensitive about the Shakespeare quote that they have tried to turn it around and claim that Shakespeare was actually suggesting that lawyers safeguard essential institutions -- which might be another sign Shakespeare was right!!)

Bottom line - The concept of insurance does not mesh with the notion of repetitive and preventative care.  It meshes with catostrophic care.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #10 : May 30, 2013, 01:07:35 PM »

After reading the article and seeing the price list I think he'll make it.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #11 : May 30, 2013, 01:36:49 PM »

Since this is a football site, I have decided to expand my previous comments and SOLVE the HC issue.

John Galt?'s "Sudden Death" Healthcare Solution:

Step 1: Kill all the lawyers

Step 2: Kill all the lobbyists              Insurance Co.s spend Billion$ on lobbyists, Big Pharma spends Billion$ on lobbyists, the AMA spends Billion$ on lobbyists, patients spend ZERO on lobbyists. Guess who is NOT gonna benefit from any HC reform legislation or regulations??

Step 3: Kill Obamacare        it is highly flawed and primarily benefits insurers and bloated bureaucratic workers. It does nothing to address high drug costs or procedure costs.

Step 4: Kill Fraud   
       Medicaid and Medicare fraud is rampant. Root it out and make the penalties for involvement in fraud so stiff as too discourage it i.e. jail time and loss of licenses.

Step 5: Kill unilateral pricing         Prices for drugs and procedures is neither regulated nor competitive. Instead, every year have a price setting committee meet. The committee will be composed of an equal number of reps from 1) medical professionals, 2) insurers 3) pharma 4) a group of average Joe's to rep the patients-no doctors, lawyers, nurses, or insurance workers allowed. This committee will then set maximum prices for MRIs, mammograms  surgeries, and other emergency and vital procedures and for vital and necessary drugs. Prices should be based on costs and a reasonable profit margin. For instance, Drug X cost $50 million to develop and test, and you expect 5 million bottles to be prescribed per yr, and the production costs are $3/bottle, the price of Drug X is set at $16.25/bottle which includes a 25% profit margin for the developer. (as opposed to $90.00/bottle w/insurance or medicare paying $81.00 of that under our current system)

Step 6: Kill Medicare/caid        Replace these gargantuan fraud ridden programs with a Federal 2 State HC grant program. The Fed takes Medicare payroll taxes ($400 billion) and allocates that based on both how much they paid in and what their excess need may be, and grants that to the states and the states are mandated to come up with their own Universal HC system. With 50 different systems and administrations, some will work great, others not so, but the bad ones can learn from the good ones, and the better ones and see what not to do from the bad ones. 50 brains instead of just one.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : May 30, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »

Like I said, lots of killing  (Good post JG?)

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 30, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »

I don't think people realize exactly how many "doctor bills" go unpaid or partially paid. Even if he is taking significant pay cuts going to this system, he'll likely make a similar amount of money just based on the fact that a much higher percentage of his procedures are going to get paid in full.

Tort reform is a great 1st step but it isn't the last or only step.

- Everyone

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #14 : June 01, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »

Since this is a football site, I have decided to expand my previous comments and SOLVE the HC issue.

John Galt?'s "Sudden Death" Healthcare Solution:

Step 1: Kill all the lawyers

Step 2: Kill all the lobbyists              Insurance Co.s spend Billion$ on lobbyists, Big Pharma spends Billion$ on lobbyists, the AMA spends Billion$ on lobbyists, patients spend ZERO on lobbyists. Guess who is NOT gonna benefit from any HC reform legislation or regulations??

Step 3: Kill Obamacare        it is highly flawed and primarily benefits insurers and bloated bureaucratic workers. It does nothing to address high drug costs or procedure costs.

Step 4: Kill Fraud   
       Medicaid and Medicare fraud is rampant. Root it out and make the penalties for involvement in fraud so stiff as too discourage it i.e. jail time and loss of licenses.

Step 5: Kill unilateral pricing         Prices for drugs and procedures is neither regulated nor competitive. Instead, every year have a price setting committee meet. The committee will be composed of an equal number of reps from 1) medical professionals, 2) insurers 3) pharma 4) a group of average Joe's to rep the patients-no doctors, lawyers, nurses, or insurance workers allowed. This committee will then set maximum prices for MRIs, mammograms  surgeries, and other emergency and vital procedures and for vital and necessary drugs. Prices should be based on costs and a reasonable profit margin. For instance, Drug X cost $50 million to develop and test, and you expect 5 million bottles to be prescribed per yr, and the production costs are $3/bottle, the price of Drug X is set at $16.25/bottle which includes a 25% profit margin for the developer. (as opposed to $90.00/bottle w/insurance or medicare paying $81.00 of that under our current system)

Step 6: Kill Medicare/caid        Replace these gargantuan fraud ridden programs with a Federal 2 State HC grant program. The Fed takes Medicare payroll taxes ($400 billion) and allocates that based on both how much they paid in and what their excess need may be, and grants that to the states and the states are mandated to come up with their own Universal HC system. With 50 different systems and administrations, some will work great, others not so, but the bad ones can learn from the good ones, and the better ones and see what not to do from the bad ones. 50 brains instead of just one.

If you were to simply socialize healthcare by creating a single payer system, and socialize liability insurance by creating single payer malpractice coverage for doctors, then you would have to kill a significantly lower number of people.

A single payer system makes Medicare/aid unnecessary, and also makes unilateral pricing virtually impossible. A single payer malpractice system would lower costs significantly for MD's, because rather than a doctor's premiums being subject to change by being sued, the premiums would only be subject to change by the total amount the payer had to pay out in all cases being brought against all doctors practicing that form of medicine. In other words, the cost of malpractice suits are absorbed by all doctors, not just a single doctor. Canada does this and malpractice insurance premiums there are nearly ten times lower than they are here. Tort reform wouldn't even be necessary. No lawyers need be harmed.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doctor stops accepting insurance « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools