Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bloomberg and Obama target of terrorism « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 31, 2013, 01:48:50 PM

They are going to raid your homes and take all your guns!

That comment questions your point.....

My point was only that the barrier to any meaningful public health consideration on gun safety is an irrational (in my view) fear, what many refer to as the "slippery slope" argument. "If I give an inch, the government will take a mile." 

I understand the fear and am for small, unobtrusive government, but  I think  the fear it is greatly overblown in a modern society with essentially no gun restrictions (i.e., anyone can buy a gun without a background check online or from a friend) and with a Supreme Court recently confirming the right to bear arms.

You should arm yourself.........

you know what they say about assumptions :-)

Btw, I am not for banning guns.  I just believe in simple logic, so simple it was conveyed in a Star Trek movie:  the neeeds of the many (i.e. society) outweigh the needs of a few (i.e. hard core gun owners). There's simply no reason for UNFETTERED access to guns
: May 31, 2013, 01:50:32 PM VinBucFan

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 31, 2013, 01:50:10 PM

They are going to raid your homes and take all your guns!

That comment questions your point.....

My point was only that the barrier to any meaningful public health consideration on gun safety is an irrational (in my view) fear, what many refer to as the "slippery slope" argument. "If I give an inch, the government will take a mile." 

I understand the fear and am for small, unobtrusive government, but  I think  the fear it is greatly overblown in a modern society with essentially no gun restrictions (i.e., anyone can buy a gun without a background check online or from a friend) and with a Supreme Court recently confirming the right to bear arms.

Vin, I'm thinking the events of the last few weeks suggest now is not the time to put forward the benign Govt argument.

case and point ^^

political stupidity does NOT equal home invasion by Obama's jack-booted thugs BUT even if it did that is still not a reason to resist every reasonable measure to reduce gun violence.  Your 8 hand guns and 4 rifles are not enough to keep you safe against a US government that wants to take you away.

I respect your right to own a gun (more than you know), but not to the point of living in a society where anyone can buy a gun at any time, which is our current status.  May not matter to some, but a very conservatiive US Supreme Court agrees.

good stuff...........

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#17 : May 31, 2013, 01:58:47 PM

I just believe in simple logic, so simple it was conveyed in a Star Trek movie

This literally made me lol.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#18 : May 31, 2013, 02:02:36 PM

I just believe in simple logic, so simple it was conveyed in a Star Trek movie

This literally made me lol.

who wouldve known that humor would reach you?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

spartan

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 31, 2013, 02:29:12 PM

political stupidity does NOT equal home invasion by Obama's jack-booted thugs

True The Vote might just disagree with you.

Now consider the recent new laws and general attitudes of California, and tell me with all conscious and a straight face that those who are forced to register their firearms with the State won't be subjected to some kind of further "restrictions"; based on that information, and neither will California ever use that information to confiscate any firearms.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#20 : May 31, 2013, 02:57:09 PM

True The Vote might just disagree with you. "the few"
Now consider the recent new laws and general attitudes of California, and tell me with all conscious and a straight face that those who are forced to register their firearms with the State won't be subjected to some kind of further "restrictions"; based on that information, and neither will California ever use that information to confiscate any firearms.

see above

I am not sure I follow the rest, but I know the NRA pushes that gun registration = gun confiscation.  I am sure someone will come take my car soon :-)

Kidding aside, in California you do NOT have to regaister a rifle or shotgun and you only need identify the handguns and sign this declaration:

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct. I expressly authorize the Department of Justice to perform firearms eligibility checks of all relevant state and federal databases, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. I also understand that if I currently possess or own firearms and the results of this check reveal that I am ineligible either to lawfully possess or purchase firearms, I must relinquish any and all firearms in my possession.

Doesnt seem like a threat to a person who can carry a firearm legally?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 31, 2013, 11:16:21 PM

Slippery slope. The only way to protect legal gun ownership is to allow illegal gun ownership, so says the pro-gun crowd.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 01, 2013, 02:43:46 PM

Just another attempt by the current administration to divert attention from the current embarrassing issues.  They really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel trying to play the victim card.

Yeah, they sent Ricin laced letters to themselves and Bloomberg. The lengths they will go to .....
who sent the anthrax back in 2001?  It could have only come from one place.  Fort Detricks. 

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#23 : June 01, 2013, 03:37:02 PM

Just another attempt by the current administration to divert attention from the current embarrassing issues.  They really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel trying to play the victim card.

Yeah, they sent Ricin laced letters to themselves and Bloomberg. The lengths they will go to .....
who sent the anthrax back in 2001?  It could have only come from one place.  Fort Detricks.

Yeah, I was being serious ... Great lengths!!

spartan

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 01, 2013, 08:51:39 PM

True The Vote might just disagree with you. "the few"

see above

I am not sure I follow the rest, but I know the NRA pushes that gun registration = gun confiscation.  I am sure someone will come take my car soon :-)

Kidding aside, in California you do NOT have to regaister a rifle or shotgun and you only need identify the handguns and sign this declaration:

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct. I expressly authorize the Department of Justice to perform firearms eligibility checks of all relevant state and federal databases, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. I also understand that if I currently possess or own firearms and the results of this check reveal that I am ineligible either to lawfully possess or purchase firearms, I must relinquish any and all firearms in my possession.

Doesnt seem like a threat to a person who can carry a firearm legally?

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/29/local/la-me-guns-boy-scouts-20130530

... by passing a measure to require the state Department of Justice to notify local law enforcement agencies when someone buys more than 3,000 rounds of ammunition.

Californians who want to buy ammunition would have to submit personal information and a $50 fee for a background check by the state, under a bill passed by the Senate.

The Senate also OK'd a bill that would outlaw the sale, purchase and manufacture in California of semiautomatic rifles that can accommodate detachable magazines. The measure, SB 374 by Steinberg, also would require those who own such weapons to register them with the state.

Me: I kinda, sorta, relate/understand the theory behind the background check here, but at the same time, you already would have gone through the background check to buy a firearm so what's the point? It is either superfluous or there is some other motive. The other measures, well, care to present any other argument for their existence and purpose other than the authorities knocking on your door at some point? At the very least it's intent is to intimidate people not to buy firearms IMO.
: June 01, 2013, 09:01:42 PM spartan

spartan

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 01, 2013, 08:53:18 PM

Slippery slope. The only way to protect legal gun ownership is to allow illegal gun ownership, so says the pro-gun crowd.

link?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 01, 2013, 09:42:27 PM

link?

Well, you don't want guns to be registered, and you don't want background checks to be implemented on all purchases. If you aren't in favor of allowing illegal gun ownership to continue unabated, how exactly would you suggest that we prevent it?

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 01, 2013, 10:37:05 PM

other than the authorities knocking on your door at some point? At the very least it's intent is to intimidate people not to buy firearms IMO.

fear

Funny thing is some deny it or dance around it, at least you're honest about it

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 02, 2013, 06:35:05 PM

It's highly amusing watching the guy who keeps citing gun violence statistics, and who clearly favors strict gun laws, jump from thread to thread to tell everyone THEY are the ones living in fear. I've held off long enough, I was hoping at some point you were going to say "just kidding", but it seems as though you really believe it's everyone else who's afraid. I think we might be dealing with someone very special in your case.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 02, 2013, 06:59:49 PM

It's highly amusing watching the guy who keeps citing gun violence statistics, and who clearly favors strict gun laws, jump from thread to thread to tell everyone THEY are the ones living in fear. I've held off long enough, I was hoping at some point you were going to say "just kidding", but it seems as though you really believe it's everyone else who's afraid. I think we might be dealing with someone very special in your case.

"Special" is one way to put it, alright.  Really, he's just completely oblivious to arssholery he puts out there.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bloomberg and Obama target of terrorism « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools