Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Console Wars Generation 8. And The Winner Is « previous next »
Page: 1

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
: June 03, 2013, 09:20:22 PM

Sony by a landslide. 50% more  CU 18vs12(compute units) 100% more ROPs 32vs16 (render output units) and 8GB of GDDR5 ram running at 550mhrz for 176gbits vs 8gb of DD3 ram with 64gbit of bandwidth, 1.84tflops vs 1.2tflops. Both are running x86/64 bit architecture, however PS4 doesn't have to worry about ESRAM, or move engines to carry info around. Xb1's memory pool of ddr3 memory is unified-ish, while PS4 is true unified memory, which means that the easier system to develop for this time will be PS4, and games will be ported down to xb1

3gb of ram on XB1 will be dedicated to the windows 8 kernel and two other OS's, 10% of the total system (2 of the 8 cores, and .2tflops) is dedicated to keep the live feed from the TV feature active at all times regardless of its use or lack there of. only 1gb of the GDDR5 is dedicated for the OS in PS4.... PS4 will be DRM(digital rights management) optional for developers, while XB1 will have it on all games. Xb1 will require full installs of the game ontp a 500gb hd(Ps4's HD size unconfirmed) XB1 will not allow for used games, or even sharing of games between friends. If I take a game over to a friends, and use his xbox account he will be askd to purchase the entire game for retail or play a demo.

this is all before even mentioning the games themselves. and I think Bungies exodus of MS is a clear indication where this is going, hell even Blizzard has teamed up with activision after the whole EA fiasco, and have commitments to exclusive properties on PS4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-24-xbox-one-developers-have-their-say-on-specs-self-publishing-and-tvtvtv
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one
: June 03, 2013, 09:25:01 PM Zsnore

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

gone

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 06, 2013, 08:50:00 PM

I don't get why people use consoles.  PC is way too much more convenient and adaptable plus has much more scope.

Zsnore

Pro Bowler
#2 : June 07, 2013, 06:16:17 PM

There are games on consoles that just don't work as a PC game. Not from a graphical/technical standpoint... PC gamers have to realize not everyone wants to only play FPS's and RTS's all the time.

gone

Hall of Famer
#3 : June 07, 2013, 06:25:59 PM

Any examples?

Zsnore

Pro Bowler
#4 : June 07, 2013, 06:37:09 PM

Sure... Platformers- such as Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Dexter there are dozens examples for this Genre alone. Then there is the fighting game Genre like, Mortal Kombat, Dead Or Alive, Tekken, Soul Calibur  etc etc etc etc etc. Then there is the JRPG genre.... Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Dark Souls, etc etc etc etc.... Also games like Castlevania, Katamari Damacy etc etc etc etc.... You want racing? Sure... Gran Tourismo, Drive Club, Forza etc etc etc etc etc.... Did I forget to mention games like God Of War, Little Big Planet, Zelda....

I mean... there is hundreds examples, did you really not know?

gone

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 07, 2013, 08:25:11 PM

There are games on consoles that just don't work as a PC game. Not from a graphical/technical standpoint... PC gamers have to realize not everyone wants to only play FPS's and RTS's all the time.

Sure... Platformers- such as Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Dexter there are dozens examples for this Genre alone. Then there is the fighting game Genre like, Mortal Kombat, Dead Or Alive, Tekken, Soul Calibur  etc etc etc etc etc. Then there is the JRPG genre.... Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Dark Souls, etc etc etc etc.... Also games like Castlevania, Katamari Damacy etc etc etc etc.... You want racing? Sure... Gran Tourismo, Drive Club, Forza etc etc etc etc etc.... Did I forget to mention games like God Of War, Little Big Planet, Zelda....

There isn't a single game you listed that wouldn't work on a PC.  Still waiting.

Zsnore

Pro Bowler
#6 : June 07, 2013, 09:05:58 PM

There isn't a single game you listed that wouldn't work on a PC.  Still waiting.

why dont you go ahead and find me the PC versions of the games and list them here. FF7?

gone

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 07, 2013, 11:34:45 PM

why dont you go ahead and find me the PC versions of the games and list them here. FF7?

You don't even read what you wrote.  You said there are games that can't work on a PC, not that there are games that aren't on a PC.  Just because they are kept on a console doesn't mean the couldn't be on a PC.  Console is a scam.

Zsnore

Pro Bowler
#8 : June 07, 2013, 11:42:34 PM

You don't even read what you wrote.  You said there are games that can't work on a PC, not that there are games that aren't on a PC.  Just because they are kept on a console doesn't mean the couldn't be on a PC.  Console is a scam.

PC gamers aren't willing to trade in there keyboard and mouse for a controller, among other reasons. How am I gonna play against a friend in a fighting game on a PC, or do a 1v1v1v1 4-player split screen FPS battle, IN the same room without some crazy rig?  Also consoles offer reasonable performance at a consumer market price. High-end PC gaming rigs are can be in 1000$, 2000$, even 10,000$ range. The reason why those games I mentioned won't and indeed CANT work on the PC should be obvious to any gamer that has done both console gaming and PC gaming. Cause there isn't a market for it in the PC world, and in fact PC gamers are playing for a different gaming experience entirely.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 08, 2013, 12:22:34 AM

PC gamers aren't willing to trade in there keyboard and mouse for a controller, among other reasons. How am I gonna play against a friend in a fighting game on a PC, or do a 1v1v1v1 4-player split screen FPS battle, IN the same room without some crazy rig?  Also consoles offer reasonable performance at a consumer market price. High-end PC gaming rigs are can be in 1000$, 2000$, even 10,000$ range. The reason why those games I mentioned won't and indeed CANT work on the PC should be obvious to any gamer that has done both console gaming and PC gaming. Cause there isn't a market for it in the PC world, and in fact PC gamers are playing for a different gaming experience entirely.

You can spend a lot of money on a "high end" gaming PC, true, but that's a luxury not a need. My PC would be considered low to mid range and I've yet to run into a game that I can't play with high settings, visuals that obliterate anything you'd see from a console. The reason some games aren't made for PC has nothing to do with whether they can be or not, it's because developers know consoles are where the money is at. The PC market isn't nearly as large. Any game can be made for the PC, some are crappy console ports, but it can always be done. Plus, on PC there are no extra costs for MP. The downside is that you run into more hackers, but I find it worth it. The last thing I want to do is spend $400 on the new consoles coming out, $60 per game, and then another $50 per year to play online. That doesn't include the cost of an extra controller, batteries, a decent headset (applies to PC too) etc. Combine the extra cost with the backwards compatibility issue with the next gen consoles, and the xbox needing a permanent online connection and to me the pros far outweigh the cons to stick with PC gaming, which is what I'll be doing.

Zsnore

Pro Bowler
#10 : June 08, 2013, 12:48:40 AM

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 08, 2013, 12:58:48 AM

You do know that there are controllers for PC's, right?

gone

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 08, 2013, 05:15:32 AM

Clearly he doesn't. 

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 08, 2013, 07:44:04 AM

Sim City 5 is the reason people dont buy games on PC.

EA killed PC gaming.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#14 : June 08, 2013, 10:45:50 AM

Haven't played a PC game in the last 3 years. Got tired of having to upgrade my computer for every new game that came out. I also didn't like living through my keyboard and mouse. Give me console and controller any day of the week.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Console Wars Generation 8. And The Winner Is « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools