Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs supportive of Demps and track efforts... opportunity is open for football « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

: June 06, 2013, 11:14:19 AM

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/jeff-demps-discusses-football-future-current-track-season-on-db-show/

Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB/KR Jeff Demps made another appearance on The David Baumann Show to discuss the current track and field season his future in football.

Its still a possibility down the road. Me and Mark (Dominik), we spoke shortly and he just let me know that they hold my rights and asked me about the whole track deal and let me know that they were very supportive and they were behind me and when I got ready, the opportunity would be there for me and told me to keep in touch with him.

LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW HERE:

Jeff Demps on The David Baumann Show : June 6, 2013

Demps recently endured some brush-back from football fans for his recent comments on The David Baumann Show after he said hed prioritize his track career over his NFL career:

I already knew some people wasnt gonna be happy with it, some people was going to be upset. I try to do my best to avoid all that stuff because sometimes it can get you down. To me, I hear about it and I use it as motivation You gotta stay away from the negativity and keep striving forward and thats what I try to do.

He touched on common misconception that he cant earn as much money in track and field as compared to what he can make by playing in the NFL:

You can make a healthy living in track and field as well I know what it takes to be on top and I know the hard work and dedication that is needed and I feel like I can do it. Its not about the whole money thing right now, its about the passion, the love for track and field.

Demps, once a two-sport star with the Florida Gators, also suggested that hell revisit the idea of playing in the NFL once the track season has come to a completion:

I havent really decided yet because all my focus is on track and field, but once the season is over Ill sit with my track trainer and then to talk with the Bucs and see if we can get a deal worked out or get things situated, but like I said, as far as right now, all the focus is on track and then after the season Im pretty sure Ill know more about it.

On long term vs. short term goals, Demps said:

The long term goal is of course to compete in the Olympics and medal, but as far as right now, the short term goals is to make the World Championship team and to be ranked in the top five in the world.

Im actually feeling pretty great man because I feel like there is no pressure on me with the whole football thing, theyre very supportive, and on the track and field side, everything is not perfect, but Im able to do it again and Im definitely enjoying that Im not worried about the negatives or any naysayers, so Im just having fun and enjoying myself.

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 06, 2013, 11:20:36 AM

It will be interesting to see what happens to Demps if he can not crack the top 20 in the world

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 06, 2013, 11:44:39 AM

Good for him to be pursuing his dream. IMO, it's nobody else's business what $$$ he makes at track. Takes a lot of guts to pursue a goal when ya know the financial rewards aren't necessarily there. 100% behind him, and I've never been a Gator fan... 8)

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#3 : June 06, 2013, 01:07:05 PM

Hopefully when the track bug is satisfied, he goes to the Bucs later this year and Dom looks like a genius.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

19bucs19

Second String

#4 : June 06, 2013, 04:41:12 PM

I work with his cousin, he seems pretty confident he'll be playing football this year... We'll have to wait and see, can't it just be September already!!!

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 06, 2013, 04:53:13 PM

This is a guy working for a dream and not money. Hard to get that in a football player. I think he'll play this season.

ingey1968

Starter

#6 : June 07, 2013, 10:45:04 AM

umm, he is still getting money. Hell, he is prob making more from his NFL contract for doing NOTHING then he does in track

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 07, 2013, 10:55:30 AM

Dooooooooche

This guy...

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 07, 2013, 01:03:02 PM

dont count on the guy putting on a Bucs uniform . .  certainly not any time soon.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 07, 2013, 03:24:32 PM

umm, he is still getting money. Hell, he is prob making more from his NFL contract for doing NOTHING then he does in track

Demps was paid for last year. If he doesn't show up for the Bucs he's not gettin' paid no more.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 07, 2013, 04:14:19 PM

Best case scenario is he gets smoked all track season and realizes its a lost cause.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 09, 2013, 03:53:01 AM

I read somewhere on Saturday, he hopes to be playing football in the fall.  He wasn't more specific that that.  I would like to see him doing returns. At least we would have someone back there with the threat of taking it to the house on every kickoff / punt.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 09, 2013, 07:50:51 AM

Justin Gatlin, who tried out for the Bucs a few years ago, beat Usain Bolt this weekend in Rome.

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 09, 2013, 04:56:09 PM

Yep, saw that. Bolt is great, but no one is unbeatable.
    Every day is a new day; just 'cause you won yesterday, doesn't mean you'll win today... Same goes for losing...
    I'm greedy; I want Demps to become our Darren Sproles!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 09, 2013, 05:28:26 PM

I am still holding out hope he is the return guy this season.  But its a long shot.   I don't know if Schiano is the type of HC to coddle the guy. Will he let him come in and just hand him the return job?  Without any OTA's or training camp?

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs supportive of Demps and track efforts... opportunity is open for football « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools