Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bucs Secret Superstar « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#15 : June 13, 2013, 09:03:14 PM

I keep hearing that....but really? Seems like a battle to decide the tallest midget to me. Unless one of the young unknowns rise up and surprise, I don't find that competition exciting or interesting at all. Ogletree and Underwood just don't do anything for me.
how do you think team receptions should break down between WR1, WR2, WR3, TE and RB?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#16 : June 13, 2013, 09:13:12 PM

I keep hearing that....but really? Seems like a battle to decide the tallest midget to me. Unless one of the young unknowns rise up and surprise, I don't find that competition exciting or interesting at all. Ogletree and Underwood just don't do anything for me.
how do you think team receptions should break down between WR1, WR2, WR3, TE and RB?
I'm not sure that's a valid question since we don't have a #3 or a TE.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : June 13, 2013, 09:18:21 PM

Yeah, more excited about Page than I am Ogletree or Underwood.

Owusu had three concussions in one year. Not little ones either. Knocked the **CENSORED** out cold concussions. So to me he is a waste of a roster spot.

Derek Hagan certainly doesn't peek my interest.

Steve Smith retired.

Just not a whole lot going on there. Still hopefull someone more interesting gets cut during preseason and we grab em.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : June 13, 2013, 09:21:16 PM

I don't think there is some magic formula. Whatever happens happens.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : June 13, 2013, 09:21:50 PM

considering we have freeman, jackson, williams, and martin, what are realistic expectations for WR3 and TE receptions?

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#20 : June 13, 2013, 09:29:54 PM

considering we have freeman, jackson, williams, and martin, what are realistic expectations for WR3 and TE receptions?
I get what you're saying but we at least need a legitimate threat at every position that handles the ball.  The thinner you can spread a D the better.  We don't need players on the field that can be ignored.  They at least have to be taken seriously.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : June 13, 2013, 09:36:06 PM

Well, when you have studs at #1 and #2, and a stud at RB.....and mediocrity at best at TE and slot.....it's fair to assume they won't get too many targets.

Last year Underwood and Clark accounted for 132 targets. (27%)

Jackson, Williams, and Martin accounted for 318 targets. (73%)

I don't know what that means, but maybe that helps you. Personally, I think if we had better talent in the slot and at tight end.......I think those numbers would not be so lopsided.
: June 13, 2013, 09:41:39 PM JDouble

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 13, 2013, 09:45:59 PM

Last year Underwood and Clark accounted for 132 targets. (28%)

Jackson and Williams accounted for 247 targets. (59%)

I don't know what that means, but maybe that helps you. Personally, I think if we had better talent in the slot and at tight end.......I think those numbers would not be so lopsided.
54% of jackson and williams targets were receptions.

56% of underwoods and clarks targets were receptions.

does that stat matter?  probably not.  but i still question how much talent a team can  realistically acquire.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#23 : June 13, 2013, 09:56:30 PM

does that stat matter?  probably not.  but i still question how much talent a team can  realistically acquire.
You can acquire talent until u run out of cap space.  These guys don't have to be superstars but it'd be nice if they were at least solid players.  Someone you can count on when they're needed.  It's not really about the number of plays they make it's more about making the clutch play when they're called on.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 13, 2013, 09:58:36 PM

Well, I would point to the Broncos. They have one of the best QBs in the history of the NFL. They have one of the scariest WR tandems in the league with Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. At Tight End they have two solid but average vets in Jacob Tamme and Joel Dressen, as well as two very exciting young guys in Virgil Green and Julius Thomas. That didn't stop them from signing Wes Welker to play the slot and spending an early pick drafting an all purpose back in Monte Ball.

I don't think it is unrealistic to expect the same type of weapons for the Bucs. It's not easy to accumulate that type of depth and talent, but it is possible and I think settling for less ans saying you "can't have studs at every position" is just a cop out and a loser mentality.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 13, 2013, 10:01:25 PM

You can acquire talent until u run out of cap space.  These guys don't have to be superstars but it'd be nice if they were at least solid players.  Someone you can count on when they're needed.  It's not really about the number of plays they make it's more about making the clutch play when they're called on.

Very true. Unspectacular guys like Stroughter and Parker didn't put up huge numbers, but they made a lot of clutch catches to convert 3rd and 4th downs.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 13, 2013, 10:09:44 PM

LJ is a good corner and should see some playing time.

In fact, he's better than Wright. But since Wright's soon-to-be new job will need some speed, LJ isn't taking that role very often.

I would deffinately use him to sub for banks at number two, with the defense shifted towards his side. Despite lacking top end speed, the guy is indeed a ballhawk type player and should be used sparingly and methodically. 

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 13, 2013, 10:15:33 PM

Well, I would point to the Broncos. They have one of the best QBs in the history of the NFL. They have one of the scariest WR tandems in the league with Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. At Tight End they have two solid but average vets in Jacob Tamme and Joel Dressen, as well as two very exciting young guys in Virgil Green and Julius Thomas. That didn't stop them from signing Wes Welker to play the slot and spending an early pick drafting an all purpose back in Monte Ball.

I don't think it is unrealistic to expect the same type of weapons for the Bucs. It's not easy to accumulate that type of depth and talent, but it is possible and I think settling for less ans saying you "can't have studs at every position" is just a cop out and a loser mentality.
i think you seriously overrate tamme, dressen, green, and thomas.  by doing so, you seriously underrate manning.  how long have green and thomas been in the league?  how are they exciting?  they have more years in the league than combined catches!  what did tamme do his first couple seasons?  what did he do in '11 without manning?  and dressen?  that guy took 5 years just to get 20 receptions...in a pretty potent offense.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : June 13, 2013, 10:23:20 PM

Very true. Unspectacular guys like Stroughter and Parker didn't put up huge numbers, but they made a lot of clutch catches to convert 3rd and 4th downs.
lets be honest, neither guy made a lot of clutch catches.  and neither guy had any meaningful impact.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 13, 2013, 10:23:24 PM

Dude. Tamme and Dressen are every bit as good as Stocker and Crabtree. So if you think they suck....well ok.

Virgil Green and Julius Thomas were drafted in 2011 and they haven't done much yet....but they are both very exciting prospects. Look em up. I'd love it if we had an unproven young TE with half the potential of either of those guys.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bucs Secret Superstar « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools