Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Banks, how good can he be? One draft experts opinion. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

nitey

Hall of Famer
« : June 13, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

Link: http://thepewterplank.com/2013/06/11/how-good-can-johnthan-banks-be-nfl-draft-expert-dane-brugler-breaks-down-the-buccaneers-rookie/

I found this to be a decent take on Banks ability and how he might fit in the Tampa secondary. However, the 'expert' does back track a bit on his opinion at the end by first stating about whether Banks would be a successful corner 'I wouldn't be against him' to stating that he wouldn't be surprised if he moved to safety in a few years.

I honestly haven't seen enough tape on Banks, but I doubt that the Bucs had a possible move to safety in mind when they drafted Banks. Banks might not be a #1 corner for the Bucs, but I would really be surprised from what tape I've seen if he isn't a pretty good #2 corner that compliments Revis well.

Nice comment about Spence at the end though.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 13, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »

Seems pretty fair.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

« #2 : June 13, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »

Would be interesting to know what the discussion was between the scouts and coaches about Banks speed, I'm guessing they were looking at him and knew they didn't need to trade.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 13, 2013, 02:05:18 PM »

Banks has all the tools of an elite cover corner but his lack of speed will keep him away from #1 recievers and that isnt a bad thing now that we have Revis who is another gifted athlete w/o the blazing speed. Banks is a mentally strong aggressive player who will thrive under Revis's mentorship.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #4 : June 13, 2013, 02:13:13 PM »

Banks has all the tools of an elite cover corner but his lack of speed will keep him away from #1 recievers and that isnt a bad thing now that we have Revis who is another gifted athlete w/o the blazing speed. Banks is a mentally strong aggressive player who will thrive under Revis's mentorship.
Then by definition, he doesn't have all the tools. Darrelle Revis has all the tools. Banks doesn't.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #5 : June 13, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

I like what I've seen from Banks. Exceptional fundamentals for a young guy, and looks/acts very calm and confident.
    He could well cover another teams #1 receiver with safety help, leaving Revis on his island versus the #2 receiver. That would give opposing QBs a tough choice...

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #6 : June 13, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »

NDY, that could be the plan to spare Revis´'leg, especially early on in the season.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

flaitguy

Starter
« #7 : June 13, 2013, 05:40:38 PM »

Yeah and 'speedy' Rhonde Barber set the record of int's and sacks by a db. Speed is great, dont get me wrong, but being in the right place and fundamentally sound is 80% of it. To me, athleticism, ie, speed just gets you out of trouble sometimes, when you screw up.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #8 : June 13, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »

Richard Sherman doesn't have elite speed and he is still an elite cover corner. Banks will be fine

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #9 : June 13, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »

I just wished Banks had some of that 4.4 burst in him. He does seem lithe, and smooth, but that lack of speed in today's NFL is disconcerting.

Hope he pans out, I was disappointed in his forty time. Big time. But I love his production against the SEC. That means the guy plays better than he times. Fingers crossed. l

JM2

Pro Bowler

« #10 : June 13, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »

Revis posted a 4.38 40 at his pro day (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrelle_Revis), he didn't attend the combine due to a tweaked hammy. 4.38 is pretty fast.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #11 : June 13, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »

When they time a CB in the 40 he should have to run the first ten yards backwards the next 20 yds through pylons and the last ten yds running forward.  CBs hardly ever run 40yds in a straight line.

SCLOBERNOCKER

Hall of Famer

« #12 : June 13, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »

When they time a CB in the 40 he should have to run the first ten yards backwards the next 20 yds through pylons and the last ten yds running forward.  CBs hardly ever run 40yds in a straight line.
I actually really like that idea

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #13 : June 13, 2013, 10:35:47 PM »

That is called "flipping your hips".

That gets verified through other drills.

The forty is what it is. It tells you if you have to worry about vertical field stretching.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #14 : June 13, 2013, 10:54:27 PM »

Banks is the perfect compliment for revis. Or maybe I should say, the BGR trifecta will compliment him well.

Banks, in small space is deadly. That being the case, both Barron and goldson will probably slide to his side because of revis's command over the other side (presumably), and because of that, willcause a plethora of turnovers between banks, goldson, and barron (assuming he's not closer to the LOS)

All things considered, and despite maybe the falcons WR's (no way he hangs with Jj or white just yet), banks should have a very productive season.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Banks, how good can he be? One draft experts opinion. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools