Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No bags allowed at NFL stadiums « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
« : June 13, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »

This seem counter-intuitive to me.  They want more fans to attend the game but are taking away some of the, for lack of a better word "perks"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/league-alters-bag-policy-for-safety-convenience/ 

League alters bag policy for safety, convenience
Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT

At a time when the NFL is championing diversity, the league still doesn’t want to see men with purses.  But for entirely different reasons.
The NFL is now prohibiting purses and other similar bags from pro football stadiums.

A team source alerted PFT to the looming change in the NFL’s policy regarding bags.  The NFL has confirmed that the policy, primarily intended to enhance safety, was revised based on the recommendation of the Stadium Security and Fan Conduct Committee.

Fans will be encouraged to bring no bags of any kind to NFL stadiums.  Starting with the 2013 preseason, only certain bags will be permitted.
Specifically, the bags must be clear, and they must be made of plastic, vinyl, or PVC.  The dimensions may not exceed 12 inches by six inches by 12 inches.  Alternatively, fans may bring a one-gallon Ziploc (product placement!) freezer bag. Fans are limited to one bag each.  Teams will be encouraged to make clear bags available for their belongings.  Binoculars, phones, and cameras can be can be carried in to the stadium.

Coincidentally, clear plastic tote bags bearing official NFL team logos are available for purchase.
This means no purses (other than small “clutch” bags) or backpacks or coolers or briefcases or fanny packs or cinch bags or seat cushions or luggage of any kind or computer bags or camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.  The NFL has explained that seat cushions are prohibited because of the possibility that they will be used to conceal an explosive device.

Again, small “clutch” bags (roughly the size of a hand) are permitted.  Also, an exception will be made for medically necessary items, subject to inspection at the gate.
Other venues have taken similar measures.  The University of Michigan, Penn State University, and Michigan State University prohibit all bags, and TD Garden in Boston allows only “clutch” bags.  It’s amazing more venues haven’t joined this trend.

The goal, in addition to safety, is to minimize the time spent inspecting items at the gate.  This procedure makes it easier to eyeball what fans are bringing to the stadium.

Ideally, fans would bring nothing, other than their wallets.

All (or at least most) kidding aside, it’s a good policy.  To ensure that everyone at a game is safe, sacrifices have to be made.  In lieu of sacrificing a bunch of time standing in line while gigantic purses and backpacks are searched, this policy makes plenty of sense.
And if fans don’t like it, they can watch the game at home.  The fact that the NFL is willing to let fans make that choice at a time when the league is trying desperately to lure fans to the stadium demonstrates the importance the NFL has attached to the issue.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 14, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »

another reason to stay home and not go to the game.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #2 : June 14, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »

Smart move-- tho it's "not enough".

The most vulnerable time for NFL fans is BEFORE the bag checks... when 100+ people are standing IN LINE before they open the gates (no bags have been even looked at).

That's why the pre-entry security is most important now, imo.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #3 : June 14, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »

Can't spend a few hours without your 'murse'?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 14, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »

Smart move-- tho it's "not enough".

The most vulnerable time for NFL fans is BEFORE the bag checks... when 100+ people are standing IN LINE before they open the gates (no bags have been even looked at).

That's why the pre-entry security is most important now, imo.

Ain't that the truth. Remember several games where I was nearly claustrophobic from being crammed with hundreds of fans (Cowboys' 2009 game comes to mind) waiting. It would have been a terrorist's dream to hit that spot.

I'm all for limiting bags. It would be too easy to target fans in a stadium.

I used to bring in a backpack w/ my camera/zoom lens/several towels, sometimes a radio.  Guess I'll just carry them in individually without a bag. Cumbersome, but can do - all in the name of fighting those bastard terrorists.

I've also learned not to be at the gate right when they open - for some reason people enjoy lining up to get in.   Now I just get there about 1 hr before and usually have no problems getting right in.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #5 : June 14, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »

Damn, it's going to be harder to smuggle my rum in now....

gone

Hall of Famer
« #6 : June 14, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »

Just put it in your stomach.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #7 : June 14, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »

Can't spend a few hours without your 'murse'?

Easier said than done apparently.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 14, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »

Just put it in your stomach.

I employ that strategy every game - down 2-3 beer once parked and before heading in the gates.  Saves a few $$, but does require heading to the latrines once or twice during the game - something I don't like to do because it disrupts peeps in  my section/row when I get up (got some fatass **CENSORED** Buc fans who can't get out of their seats when you try to pass by).

S.A.N.T.A.N.A.

Starter

« #9 : June 14, 2013, 06:58:29 PM »

Terrorists? Give me a break cnn watcher

You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist.

We have all this crap "protecting" us from terrorists...

Yet no one protecting our RIGHTS

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 14, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »

Buh bye. They'll get my Sunday Ticket money and nothing more.

In Verner We Trust

RaHonde Barber

Rookie

« #11 : June 14, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »

Going to a football game isn't a "right". You want to go to a game, you've gotta play by the NFL's rules.

I travel light anyway but this has as much to do with increasing concession sales as it has to do with safety. Pretty much a part of a continuing policy of the NFL to wring every possible cent out of the fans.
« : June 14, 2013, 07:30:32 PM RaHonde Barber »

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

« #12 : June 14, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »

Sounds like direct result of Boston Marathon.... guess its ok.   

S.A.N.T.A.N.A.

Starter

« #13 : June 14, 2013, 07:33:48 PM »

Going to a football game isn't a "right". You want to go to a game, you've gotta play by the NFL's rules.

I travel light anyway.
I get that, but it was more of a generalization of this diseased country filled with fear.

Every year there is more liberties taken away for the sake of fighting the cia boogie man terrorist

Benjamin Franklin - Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither,

S.A.N.T.A.N.A.

Starter

« #14 : June 14, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »

Sounds like direct result of Boston Marathon.... guess its ok.
*pukes*
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No bags allowed at NFL stadiums « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools