Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Little Brother.......Big Brother......Grandpa « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 14, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »

Fennelly: Martin readies for his encore

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
In his astounding rookie season, Doug Martin had 1,454 rushing yards, 12 touchdowns and five 100-yard games.

By Martin Fennelly | Tribune Staff

Published: June 13, 2013

TAMPA

It wasn’t too long ago that Doug Martin moonlighted as a defensive back at Boise State.

Five months ago, the sun was on his face. He was on a bus in Hawaii, going to Pro Bowl practice. Sitting with him was his new friend and NFC teammate, Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Sitting nearby was his other new NFC pal, who is also a running back: Adrian Peterson.

Sorry – A.P.

“It was pretty surreal for me,” Martin said.

But it was all very real for Doug Martin in his astounding rookie season, the 1,454 rushing yards, the 12 touchdowns, the five 100-yard games, the knockout performance in Oakland, 251 yards and four TDs on homecoming in California.

Now he has to do it again, second time around.

“I don’t believe in the sophomore jinx at all,” Martin said.

But everyone will be watching. Defenses will be waiting.

Bucs running back coach Earnest Byner sees an opening.

“It’s good to be hunted, but it’s also good to hunt,” Byner said. “We’re not necessarily just prey.”

Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman calls Doug Martin “Little Brother.” Martin calls Freeman “Big Brother.” Martins calls Bucs receiver Vincent Jackson “Grandpa.” These three have a good thing going, as does the Bucs offense, which last season was ranked ninth in the NFL.

Throw in the return of guards Davin Joseph and Carl Nicks and it would seem that there might be even bigger holes for Martin to scoot through in 2013, plus the fact that this will be Martin’s second season in this offense, and the offseason workouts and, well …

“We all got better,” Martin said. “I got better.”

“I think he looks better now than he did at this time last year, physically, understand wise,” Bucs coach Greg Schiano said. “I think there’s another level for him, a few.”

There is room for improvement, but what Martin did as a rookie bordered on sensational. The Bucs moved up to the end of the first round to grab him in the draft, and was he a keeper, setting franchise rookie records for rushing yards and yards from scrimmage.

We might be looking at Peterson’s heir apparent. Martin is only 24, and in his first season, he finished in the top five in the league in rushing yards, rushing touchdowns and carries. Throw in 49 catches. He is true three-down treasure.

The kid was in on a whopping 841 snaps, second among running backs, and had 319 carries, fourth among backs. And as much as he made people miss with those lightning moves, according to one metric he was one of only three NFL runners last season to gain at least 1,000 yards after initial contact. We worried about overuse. The Muscle Hamster hummed his little tune, his mantra.

“Don’t ever let one guy bring you down,” Martin said.

Hamster kept humble, too, which made people pull for him all the more. When he was all done, he was exhausted. Martin admits it. He retreated to California to decompress.

“It was a long season, from way back to the combine, and pro days, going into the season, training camp and then the season. I just wanted to get home and see my friends and family.”

And now it’s back to work.

“One of the things I tell Doug is that you’re not only competing against the other guys in the league, you’re competing against history,” Byner said.

Martin shakes his head sometimes. It really happened, Hawaii included.

“Probably three years ago, I was playing nickel back at Boise State,” he said. “It’s crazy what I’ve gone through and now where I am.”

And imagine where he could be going.

He’s on the bus.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 14, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »

Vincent has to hate that nickname.  One of the rooks called Wannstadt a legend, the other day.  That had to make him feel 100 years old.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #2 : June 15, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »

I believe Schiano is smart enough to split up the carries this year. You gotta love Dougie, but he's going to have a very short career if he continues to shoulder the whole load. Sophomore slump/jinx has nothing to do with it. Common sense says his numbers have to come down if he's going to last.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 16, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »

I believe Schiano is smart enough to split up the carries this year. You gotta love Dougie, but he's going to have a very short career if he continues to shoulder the whole load. Sophomore slump/jinx has nothing to do with it. Common sense says his numbers have to come down if he's going to last.

James and Smith will get plenty of chances IMO.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 16, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »

I believe Schiano is smart enough to split up the carries this year.

If you believe that, then you didn't watch what he did to Ray Rice.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #5 : June 16, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »

Martin is a great player. I can see why they give him as many carries as they did. Wear and tear is a big thing though. I believe, they will need to get good play from the other guys to have the carries be taken away from Dougie. Blount didnt do **CENSORED** with his opportunities last year.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #6 : June 16, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »

BB85 I couldnt agree more. If Smith and James dont show up, you can bet your last dollar that Dougie will be getting those touches, and while it may be good for the time being, it will shorten his career I think, which would suck. We really need somebody to step up and be able to give him a break here and there. I hear Smith has been getting alot of touches/opportunities this offseason. Heres hoping he comes through as he looked pretty good last year in pre-season from what I can remember (although that was against scrubs......hes a vicious #2 for me in Madden though.....Haha)

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #7 : June 16, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »

How long can Martin maintain . . .

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 16, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »

Ray Rice - Rutgers
2006 - 339 touches(13 games)
2007 - 407 touches(13 games)

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #9 : June 16, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »

Ray Rice - Rutgers

At college you have a guy for only a few years. Run the **CENSORED** out of your best players because by the time they wear down, they're not on your team anymore.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #10 : June 16, 2013, 09:10:44 PM »

Ray Rice - Rutgers
If you were the head coach of Rutgers and you had Ray Rice on your team what would you do.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #11 : June 16, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »

That helped Rice get ready for the grind of an NFL career.

I also expect to see some of Jeff Demps on 3rd down plays...

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #12 : June 16, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »

I hope so but I'm not convinced Demps will play this year.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #13 : June 16, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »

Smith has looked good in mini camp.  Even better than the much hyped James.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #14 : June 16, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »

Smith has looked good in mini camp.  Even better than the much hyped James.

AJ, was James really "much hyped"?  I saw a bunch about his good character, but was he hyped for his playing ability?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Little Brother.......Big Brother......Grandpa « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools