Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Carimi ranks #5 on the biggest busts in Bears history. « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 14, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »

Biggest Bears busts in recent memory

By Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins

If you're any kind of a Bears fan, you know the franchise has a painfully long list of draft and free agent woes.

The latest of which is Gabe Carimi. The Bears traded its former first-round pick to Tampa Bay for a sixth-round pick in the 2014 draft. With his departure, the Bears are now without any first-round picks selected by former general manager Jerry Angelo, who ran drafts from 2002 through 2011.

Carimi arrived in Chicago as a highly regarded tackle out of Wisconsin. If you caught just a second of last season's Bears-49ers game, you know how his time as a Bear ended.

So, in honor of Carimi, RedEye looks at the Bears' biggest busts in recent memory.

David Terrell

After a stellar career at Michigan, which included two All-Big Ten selections, the Bears selected David Terrell with the eighth overall pick in the 2001 draft. He spent four seasons in Chicago and caught just nine touchdowns.

Cade McNown

The Bears' drafted Cade McNown with the 12th overall pick of the 1999 NFL draft. The former All-American QB at UCLA is the perfect model for a draft "bust." McNown was traded to the Dolphins in 2001 after throwing just 16 touchdowns and a gaudy 19 interceptions in two seasons. He played just 25 games in a Bears uniform.

Bryan Cox

The Bears signed the former three-time Pro Bowler with the Dolphins to a mega four-year, $13.2 million contract in 1996 that made him the highest paid Bear in history at the time. Cox went on to spend just two bland seasons in Chicago, never recording more than five sacks.

Rashaan Salaam

The Bears selected the 1994 Heisman Trophy winner at Colorado in the first round of the 1995 draft. As a rookie, he erupted for more than 1,000 yards. But problems with ball security, injuries and drugs led him to spend just three years with the Bears. Following his rookie season, he rushed for 496 yards in 1996 and 112 in 1997. He finished his career in the XFL.

Gabe Carimi

The former 2010 Outland Trophy winner (an award for the nation's top collegiate interior lineman), All-American and Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year was the Bears' first-round pick in 2011. Injuries and poor play led to his eventual trade for a sixth-round draft pick.

David Terrell: 'I would have cut off both my balls' to play with Cutler

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

CBS Sports

June 13, 2013 9:30 am ET

Apparently, David Terrell wishes he could have played with Jay Cutler. (USATSI)

A few days ago, RedEye Chicago put out its list of the top Bears draft pick busts in team history. Cade McCown, Rashaan Salaam and the just-traded tackle Gabe Carimi made the list, but standing not-so-proudly at No. 1 was receiver David Terrell, who was drafted by Chicago at No. 8 overall in 2001 but caught just nine touchdown passes in four years.

Terrell saw the list and made a call to the author of the story to protest. And then he gave current quarterback Jay Cutler what could be the biggest compliment of his life.

After he was asked by RedEye Chicago's Riley Blevins what he would have given to catch passes from Cutler, Terrell said, “I would have cut off both my balls. I'd give those up, no problem. You could have neutered me. I would have been neutered with a smile.”

In a word, wow.

Now, Terrell makes a good point, which is kind of the entire basis of this new article, when he says he perhaps would have had a different career outcome if he would have played with a half-decent quarterback.

During his tenure in Chicago the quarterbacks the Bears employed included Jim Miller, Shane Matthews, a 38-year-old Chris Chandler, Henry Burris, Kordell Stewart, Chad Hutchinson, Craig Krenzel, Jonathan Quinn and Rex Grossman. So, not the most Hall of Fame-worthy bunch.

In fact, that group alone probably would make any receiver want to chop off his testicles.

“What I'll say is this, to be able to play with a guy like Jay Cutler is one thing,” Terrell said. “Jay Cutler is without a doubt a top 10 quarterback in the league. No doubt about that. His knowledge of the game, his pocket presence makes him that. I never witnessed that in the NFL. I could have [that] with Rex, but I had limited time with Rex. I only had four games with Rex, you know what I'm saying? Great quarterbacks know what's going on before the play.

“My last year here was just in disarray because the quarterbacks didn't even know the play calls. So it takes out some camaraderie, yeah. … I didn't have that anywhere but at Michigan with Tom Brady and with that quarterback Drew Henson.”

Plus, Terrell also had injury problems that led to some ineffectiveness and time away from the field.

“Factually, my first year with the Bears -- my first and my last year -- those were like my best years here. My first year was the best team I ever played on besides my Michigan teams, you see what I'm saying. But my first year we was one game from the Super Bowl, and I think I was a big, big piece in a lot of those wins. I think I may have won four, five games for my team. I mean, hey, maybe I didn't win them all by myself, but I sure played a big part. The next year I went to Bourbonnais and I kicked the season off with what, like, four touchdowns in three games? Then I broke my foot. Then I was done for the whole year.

“Then my third year I couldn't play because my foot was just broke and they had my time limited. **CENSORED**, then the last year, I led the league for like the first four games with Rex Grossman at quarterback. Until Rex Grossman breaks his foot against Minnesota. Did you forget that? I think you must have forgot about that. Man, I led the league in like every category basically until Rex broke his foot. When Rex broke his foot, after that, the season was over. I had nine different quarterbacks after Rex Grossman. I caught a ball from nine different quarterbacks in one year. Did you forget that?”

Anyway, it's a lengthy interview filled with a decent amount of cussing. But if you want to hear Terrell's thoughts on why former general manager Jerry Angelo wasn't a big Terrell fan or how a staph infection suffered in New England nearly cost him his leg, read the rest of the article here.

Maybe Terrell will convince you that he wasn't actually the biggest draft bust in Chicago. Or at least explain to you why it wasn't his fault.

Netwalker

Rookie

« #1 : June 14, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »

Not sure how a guy who was out injured for all but two games his rookie year and played without proper rehab time his second year is a bust.  Maybe it's the Bears player management that is a bust.  We'll know a lot more in a few months.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : June 14, 2013, 01:06:38 AM »

The Bears are now without any first-round picks selected by former general manager Jerry Angelo, who ran drafts from 2002 through 2011.

Colossal fail.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Octagenarian

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #3 : June 14, 2013, 02:31:26 AM »

Carimi is kind of cute.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 14, 2013, 06:30:27 AM »

"After he was asked by RedEye Chicago's Riley Blevins what he would have given to catch passes from Cutler, Terrell said, “I would have cut off both my balls. I'd give those up, no problem. You could have neutered me. I would have been neutered with a smile.”"

Wow.  Most people stop with "I'd give my left nut", but Terrell went full eunuch.  You never go full eunuch.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : June 14, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »

"After he was asked by RedEye Chicago's Riley Blevins what he would have given to catch passes from Cutler, Terrell said, “I would have cut off both my balls. I'd give those up, no problem. You could have neutered me. I would have been neutered with a smile.”"

Wow.  Most people stop with "I'd give my left nut", but Terrell went full eunuch.  You never go full eunuch.

LOL

Its too early in the mans career to label him a bust.

What if he surprised everyone, and made the Pro Bowl multiple times?   Still a bust?

Now if he fails here for whatever reason,  and never catches on with another team, then it would make sense to label him a bust.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #6 : June 14, 2013, 09:56:16 PM »

Rashaan Salaam

I remember when I was a kid and went nuts when I found out that there was a football player with the same first name as mine and spelt the same. For some reason I thought that was impossible.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : June 14, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »

Rashaan Salaam

I remember when I was a kid and went nuts when I found out that there was a football player with the same first name as mine and spelt the same. For some reason I thought that was impossible.

Careful about giving out too much info bro, before you know it, Java is parked across the street from your house.   With the zoom lens ready to go.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 14, 2013, 10:11:34 PM »

Rashaan Salaam

Careful about giving out too much info bro, before you know it, Java is parked across the street from your house.   With the zoom lens ready to go.
Lol

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
« #9 : June 15, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »

The Bears are now without any first-round picks selected by former general manager Jerry Angelo, who ran drafts from 2002 through 2011.

I think Carimi was just a casualty to get all of the Angelo taste out of their mouth.  He did play poorly but it seemed that they gave up on him way too early. 

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #10 : June 16, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »

I don't see how they could call Bryan Cox a bigger bust than Gaines Adams. I followed the Bears back then and Cox was solid. Not spectacular but solid.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #11 : June 16, 2013, 06:18:17 PM »

Rashaan Salaam

Lol

Haha. Vicious.

I don't see how they could call Bryan Cox a bigger bust than Gaines Adams. I followed the Bears back then and Cox was solid. Not spectacular but solid.

I would think for one, we drafted him, and he wasnt a free agent signing (the 2 criteria stated in the article that its using to judge players on unless I missed something). They traded for him, he just didnt pan out, but its not like he was tearing it up here before the trade, which is why he was traded. Still cant believe we got a 2nd back in return. Its that kind of **CENSORED** that gives me confidence in MD. For whatever reason, he doesnt seem to get fleeced on trades.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : June 16, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »

Rashaan Salaam

lmao
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Carimi ranks #5 on the biggest busts in Bears history. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools