Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SR's FAB 5 - 6-14 - SIZING UP THE CBs, WRs, TEs & RBs, DEMPS, FREEMAN, CARIMI « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
: June 14, 2013, 08:18:07 PM

How do Tampa Bay's WRs, TEs, CBs and RBs shape up literally and figuratively this year? When will RB Jeff Demps join the team? What does new Bucs QBs coach John McNulty think Josh Freeman's problem is? What do the Bucs like about Gabe Carimi? Get the answers and more insight in this edition of SR's Fab 5.

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=8942

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 14, 2013, 10:59:26 PM

Mike James seems like a decent PS candidate but maybe the Bucs have soured on him quickly?

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 14, 2013, 11:50:59 PM

Or they are taking a long look at Michael Smith to see where he's at. I doubt they would have soured on James this quickly. JMO.
    I am curious where Danny Noble is after last season's injury; really thought he was a good prospect, at least catching the ball. He's much more athletic than Stocker, who has always looked too stiff. Sounds like he's even more so after his off-season of bulking up. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 15, 2013, 08:27:39 AM

Forget who the backup QB is, if Martin gets hurt its going to be a long season.  I just find it curious that Dom deemed it necessary to use a 3rd in order to try an upgrade the backup QB position when we already had one that is at least average but we really have no one that can be a primary ball carrier if Martin goes down. 

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 15, 2013, 08:31:30 AM

Or they are taking a long look at Michael Smith to see where he's at. I doubt they would have soured on James this quickly. JMO.

+1

How do you draft a guy who fits the "leader" mold as much as Mike James then suddenly sour on him in favor of an Underwear Olympics champ? I think they're trying to make a decision on what to do with Smith....if Demps comes onboard, Smith won't likely have a Kick Return gig so his only value to the team would be as backup RB so they'll give him every opportunity to show his stuff.......before he's ultimately cut. :)

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 15, 2013, 12:13:55 PM

considering the size issue, i thought david nelson would have been a welcome addition.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 15, 2013, 12:34:21 PM

After having the chance to work with him for a few months, McNulty knows the best is yet to come for Freeman, who has had the unfortunate circumstance of having four quarterbacks coaches and three different offensive coordinators to deal with, and three offensive systems to learn in four years in the NFL.

That should read, McNulty believes/suspects/thinks the best is yet to come for Freeman. He doesn't KNOW anything yet about how Freeman will play.

Most of us hope he's right and this is Freeman's best year yet. A few would love to see failure as they have predicted it.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 15, 2013, 03:30:02 PM

Now with little depth on the OL why would Dum try and trade Merideth who can supposedly play 4 positions?  It's not Luke he would have gotten much in trade.  Also, this staff seems to preoccupied with size.  Great players come in all different sizes.  If you can play, you can play. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 15, 2013, 03:52:59 PM

Now with little depth on the OL why would Dum try and trade Merideth who can supposedly play 4 positions?  It's not Luke he would have gotten much in trade.  Also, this staff seems to preoccupied with size.  Great players come in all different sizes.  If you can play, you can play.
keep trying.  every good GM should always keep open lines and explore every avenue, right?  were you one of the guys talking about how good the Bucs OL depth was?

as for "to preoccupied with size", how in the world do you explain doug martin and lavonte david?

keep fishin'.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 15, 2013, 03:58:43 PM

According to the article, the Bucs want their RBs, CBs, TEs, WRs, and OL to be a certain size.  Who cares if a RB is 6'1" or a WR is 5'10" if they can play?  And no, I've always said the OL depth sucks so why trade your only depth you do have for a late draft pick.  Makes no sense.  And if you could be honest for once snd not a cheerleader I'm sure you would agree. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 15, 2013, 04:22:55 PM

According to the article, the Bucs want their RBs, CBs, TEs, WRs, and OL to be a certain size.  Who cares if a RB is 6'1" or a WR is 5'10" if they can play?  And no, I've always said the OL depth sucks so why trade your only depth you do have for a late draft pick.  Makes no sense.  And if you could be honest for once snd not a cheerleader I'm sure you would agree.
you dont believe ted larsen is depth?  he's filled in the last 4 seasons?

im the cheerleader, and you are just the ditchdigger.  we signed a short CB and re-did the contract of another short CB this season.  we also brought in a potential starter in a short CB in LJ last season.  but its a bad thing that we are looking for tall fast CB's also?  please.  you'd be first in line to complain that we didnt have any height if we had a team of midgets.

as for RB's...what RB's are 6'1?  most RB's are shorter.  no where in the article did it say the team will only get players of a certain height.  no where in the article were quotes from the coaches about it.  keep diggin.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 15, 2013, 04:30:00 PM

you dont believe ted larsen is depth?  he's filled in the last 4 seasons?

im the cheerleader, and you are just the ditchdigger.  we signed a short CB and re-did the contract of another short CB this season.  we also brought in a potential starter in a short CB in LJ last season.  but its a bad thing that we are looking for tall fast CB's also?  please.  you'd be first in line to complain that we didnt have any height if we had a team of midgets.

as for RB's...what RB's are 6'1?  most RB's are shorter.  no where in the article did it say the team will only get players of a certain height.  no where in the article were quotes from the coaches about it.  keep diggin.
adrien Peterson for one.  i didnt write the article.  Tell Scott you think his theory is crap then.  Maybe it is.  Just commenting on his take though. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 15, 2013, 04:32:30 PM

But yeah, Ted Larsen is pretty much a fringe player.  Not a guy I want to see playing. 

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#13 : June 15, 2013, 05:32:46 PM

Smith is getting the reps because the Bucs covet an undersized back with freakish speed. Holes don't stay open forever, just ask Blount.  I remain skeptical he can be " the guy" with Martin off the field though.
James seems to be a step slow to be in the second level and beyond, again, ask Blount how that worked out.  Nice kid in the Buccaneer man sense, but still does not generate much excitement here.
I was surprised to see SR saying Demps is a sure thing. Here's where the slot could get interesting. Sproles on speed?
Lastly, don't make too much of the size thing because its not an absolute. There will always be a roster spot for those special players.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#14 : June 15, 2013, 06:49:02 PM

adrien Peterson for one.  i didnt write the article.  Tell Scott you think his theory is crap then.  Maybe it is.  Just commenting on his take though.
the team wants big fast guys at CB and WR.  stop the presses!  the team doesnt want a gazelle at RB?  why?  most of them dont pan out.  this isnt rocket science. 

nowhere did the article say the team wouldnt use a great player who didnt fit the definition of "todays NFL player", did it?  because scotts theory isnt wrong.  your assumption that the player HAS to fit the description is wrong.
But yeah, Ted Larsen is pretty much a fringe player.  Not a guy I want to see playing.
what backups does any team want to see playing?  or are you one of those fans that think your backups should be just as good as your starters?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SR's FAB 5 - 6-14 - SIZING UP THE CBs, WRs, TEs & RBs, DEMPS, FREEMAN, CARIMI « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools