Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 5 reasons they make playoffs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 15, 2013, 12:00:35 AM »

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 5 reasons they make playoffs

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer   NFL.com

Published:  June 14, 2013 at 03:09 p.m.

During last week's "ATL Debate Club," Gregg Rosenthal, Dan Hanzus and I tossed around ideas for our surprise team of 2013.

Hanzus cited the Cleveland Browns as a possibility, while Rosenthal picked Chip Kelly's Philadelphia Eagles. My pick? The Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Coming off a 7-9 campaign under coach Greg Schiano, the Bucs boast a young roster that could sink or swim in the NFC South. I say they'll swim, right into January.

Why the Bucs are playoff material...

1. You can't call this a playoff team if you don't buy into the quarterback, and I'm a believer in Josh Freeman. He's one of a handful of true gunslingers in today's NFL. Sure, he's guilty of enigmatic, drive-killing passes, but he's also capable of jaw-dropping throws into tight spaces. People forget how young Freeman is, because he's been a mainstay in Tampa since 2009 (Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick are his elders). Almost any game you watch reveals Freeman's need for development, but also his strengths:

2. Darrelle Revis, perhaps the finest player in New York Jets history, now anchors a secondary that boasts one of the NFC's better safety combinations in Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron. Eric Wright and rookie Johnthan Banks will battle for snaps opposite Revis Island, and this deep lineup should help the Bucs mimic what the Houston Texans pulled off in 2011 under Wade Phillips, going from No. 32 to No. 3 against the pass.

3. Tampa's top-rated run defense from 2012 might ultimately be better this season. In the game against Jamaal Charles and the Kansas City Chiefs, the Bucs consistently held their assignments vs. inside rushes, sweeps and screens. I saw that week after week. From a pass-rushing angle, I hate letting go of Michael Bennett in free agency, but Schiano believes strongly in Da'Quan Bowers. The young defensive end isn't forecasting 50 sacks for himself, but says double-digit totals are in the cards with Gerald McCoy beside him. Like the Cincinnati Bengals, Tampa uses plenty of stunts up front, and should cause headaches for quarterbacks this season.

4. Adrian Peterson aside, Doug Martin might be the most enjoyable running back to watch on tape. Tiny in stature, Martin becomes a rolling ball of butcher knives on the field. Schiano has preached physical football from the start, and Martin gives Tampa a fever dream in the backfield.

5. The Bucs exited the Raheem Morris era drenched in chaos, but Schiano arrived with a plan. Tampa's coaching staff and front office are in sync, and general manager Mark Dominic isn't afraid to swing for the fences. The Revis trade made it clear: The Bucs are going for the throat.

Of course, there's another scenario where Freeman collapses, Glennon is rushed into action and the offense fractures to pieces by Week 8. On defense, Revis might never be the same guy again.

Instead of that disaster, I'm banking on Freeman's continued growth and a return to form by the best defensive player in the NFL.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 15, 2013, 01:28:28 AM »

To have a shot, we need Freeman to excel and stay healthy.  Same for Revis, play well and stay healthy.

Need a big year from Bowers.   And no major injuries to the key players like Vincent, Doug, Mike Will.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #2 : June 15, 2013, 08:25:57 AM »

I have a hard time visualizing Freeman being bad enough for our offense to tank our season. In 12 games last season, Freeman played well enough for the team to win and in the four that he played badly, two of them the team could have still won with better defense. With another year in the same system and Sullivan understanding Freeman's strengths and weaknesses, I just don't buy a bad season out of him. He's still going to make some throws that make you cringe and some that will make your jaw drop and he's still going to over throw tall receivers again this year, but in the end, I believe the real bad plays will mostly be under control and eliminated.

With Revis, and the others, injuries are going to happen. Occasionally some team goes the distance with all their starters, but most do not. What I'm hoping for is no season ending injuries to any of our starters. I think we have enough depth to get by a few games with a second teamer playing in place of the starter, but I honestly don't want to go through another year like last season. We are due for some injury luck, I'm hoping that it happens this year.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #3 : June 15, 2013, 08:30:56 AM »

5reasons why they don't:
1. Josh Freeman
2. Sean Peyton
3. Mike Smith
4. Drew Brees
5. Matt Ryan

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 15, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »

The Falcons don't intimidate me!! Brees and Payton, on the other hand, are cause for concern.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #5 : June 15, 2013, 09:49:36 AM »

Love the pessimism...
SMH

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 15, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »

Need a big year from Bowers.   

Agreed.  Man, if we could get some consistent push from the D-Line it could be a very successful season.

Turn the page.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #7 : June 15, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »

I'm confident the Bucs will sweep the division and send at least 7 players to Hawaii.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 15, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »

5reasons why they don't:
1. Josh Freeman
2. Sean Peyton
3. Mike Smith
4. Drew Brees
5. Matt Ryan
ha, mike smith and matt ryan couldnt even beat the Bucs last season.  and even when they could, it was a squeaker.

i do agree with hate that payton and brees are a concern, but i think their WR's start alligatorarming it against us this season.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Sweep

Hall of Famer
« #9 : June 15, 2013, 12:41:18 PM »

5 Reasons they will make the playoffs

1. Vincent Jackson catching jump balls
2. Mike Williams catching jump balls
3.  35 run attempts per game
4.  Top Ten Defense overall
5.  Coach Schiano

It’s going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon they’ll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #10 : June 15, 2013, 01:14:41 PM »

I have a hard time visualizing Freeman being bad enough for our offense to tank our season. In 12 games last season, Freeman played well enough for the team to win and in the four that he played badly, two of them the team could have still won with better defense. With another year in the same system and Sullivan understanding Freeman's strengths and weaknesses, I just don't buy a bad season out of him. He's still going to make some throws that make you cringe and some that will make your jaw drop and he's still going to over throw tall receivers again this year, but in the end, I believe the real bad plays will mostly be under control and eliminated.

With Revis, and the others, injuries are going to happen. Occasionally some team goes the distance with all their starters, but most do not. What I'm hoping for is no season ending injuries to any of our starters. I think we have enough depth to get by a few games with a second teamer playing in place of the starter, but I honestly don't want to go through another year like last season. We are due for some injury luck, I'm hoping that it happens this year.

This^.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

blackfoot

Starter
« #11 : June 15, 2013, 01:16:29 PM »

Free does not make the Pro Bowl this year, but only because it takes a year for the NFL fans to catch on! We make the playoff and make some noise is my guess.

flaitguy

Starter
« #12 : June 15, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »

It is a bit of an anomaly that such a top rated run defense doesnt make the playoffs.

ingey1968

Starter

« #13 : June 15, 2013, 01:42:04 PM »

why? the majority of your good teams are pass orientated.

It is a bit of an anomaly that such a top rated run defense doesnt make the playoffs.

Madman

Hall of Famer
« #14 : June 15, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »

Fire the cannons! Bucs should make a run this year. This roster is loaded with talent.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 5 reasons they make playoffs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools