Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lem Barney: NFL won't be around in 10-20 years « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: June 15, 2013, 12:01:40 AM

Lem Barney: Football will be gone in 20 years

Mark Snyder, USA TODAY Sports 5:01 p.m. EDT June 14, 2013

(Photo: Evan Habeeb, USA TODAY Sports)

Lem Barney is an NFL legend, a Hall of Famer who made his living playing football.

And he wouldn't do it again.

Speaking Friday at the Sound Mind Sound Body Camp in Southfield, Mich., the Detroit Lions great said the sport would be gone within the next two decades.

He said he wishes he would have been a truck driver or a cab driver, anything other than a player suffering concussions.

"People often ask me do I miss the game, do I wish I could still play with all the money they're making today. Even with all of that, I'd say, 'Heck, no,' " Barney said. "The game is becoming more deadly today.

"It's a great game, and I think it's the greatest game if you like gladiators. It's the greatest game for yesteryear's gladiators. But in the next 10 to 20 years, society will alleviate football altogether because of how strong it's becoming, how big it's becoming and the tenacity that it already is. And it's only going to get worse."

Barney said he would "feel really bad" if he didn't say anything about what he knows.

He said he has been diagnosed in recent years with seven to eight concussions from his playing career. He said he shudders to see what the game has done to former players dying.

He told his son years ago not to play football, and he has been even more emphatic with his grandson, who will play at Barney's alma mater, Jackson State, this fall.

Barney's comments came while he was sitting on a panel alongside major college football coaches -- Michigan's Brady Hoke and Michigan State's Mark Dantonio among them -- all who appeared frozen as Barney attacked their profession.

Both tried to be respectful to Barney while pointing out that there's known risk in the game.

Dantonio and Hoke emphasized proper tackling and safety at the camp. Dantonio even presented a video on technique to the 600 or so campers.

Barney suggests removing the helmet from the game, but he understands that's not a reasonable expectation.

"You look at guys like Bubba Smith that left us, Dave Duerson that left us, Junior Seau as of late, that are killing themselves because of the head injuries they had," Barney said. "You hear about guys who played in championship games, Pro Bowlers and Super Bowls, but you don't hear about the regular Joe who plays the game and has killed themselves. The game is that deadly today."

Snyder writes for the Detroit Free Press, a Gannett property.
: June 15, 2013, 01:00:06 AM michael89156

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 15, 2013, 12:15:21 AM

Well that's a very depressing thought. I just don't see it happening with the unbelievable popularity of the game and the exponentially growing revenue that owners are taking in. For football to be abolished there needs to be a point where it starts to decline and I do not see that happening even a few decades from now.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 15, 2013, 12:46:56 AM

It will happen if they keep gong down the same road they're on right now.

Waiver forms are the only thing that can save it, and I'm not sure why that hasn't been already done to preserve the game. Maybe the players union?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

wolfet

Pro Bowler

#3 : June 15, 2013, 12:57:15 AM

It will be around but it will look different than today. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 15, 2013, 01:03:28 AM

Agree with that.  They will develop some high tech equipment to protect knees and brain injuries.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 15, 2013, 02:26:18 AM

It will happen if they keep gong down the same road they're on right now.

Waiver forms are the only thing that can save it, and I'm not sure why that hasn't been already done to preserve the game. Maybe the players union?
No way would the union let that happen and players would be stupid to sign it.

The league will be around, its by far the most grossing sport in the US. The only thing stopping the NFL is Goodell.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 15, 2013, 06:34:53 AM

My son is a big kid.  Just turned 11 and is 5'5" 155 pounds.  Not fat, just big and husky.  Sure I dream of him becoming a college/ pro offensive lineman but considering the odds of making that level vs. the injury potential I'm not so sure I want him playing.  Won't stand in his way if that's what he want to pursue but definitely not going to force him to play football. 

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 15, 2013, 11:33:48 AM

My son is a big kid.  Just turned 11 and is 5'5" 155 pounds.  Not fat, just big and husky.  Sure I dream of him becoming a college/ pro offensive lineman but considering the odds of making that level vs. the injury potential I'm not so sure I want him playing.  Won't stand in his way if that's what he want to pursue but definitely not going to force him to play football.

Husky? You've got to be kidding.

As long as we still have a country, we'll have football.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 15, 2013, 11:56:22 AM

exactly.... just as football of today looks different to football of the 80s

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 15, 2013, 02:01:58 PM

And every ten years lead to more wussification. I believe that is what we're dealing with here.

When does it become unwatchable? When does it become less of a man's sport?

I think we're just starting to see that come into play, and it may not end too well if they keep going that same route.

Back in Montana's days, they had real kickoffs, late hits were arguable, how they hit didn't matter a whole lot, and leading with your head was a way for players to be safer from a hit. Given what has transpired over the last twenty years, how tech/humanity/lawyers progress, it may be less the time to take more away from the game even qucker in today's society. That's what worries me.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 15, 2013, 02:37:49 PM

Husky? You've got to be kidding.

As long as we still have a country, we'll have football.
sure he could stand to lose a few pounds but isn't fat.  He went out for pop Warner last year and his head was so big they had to special order a helmet.  He was the only one out of 30 kids or so. 

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#11 : June 15, 2013, 03:19:27 PM

And every ten years lead to more wussification. I believe that is what we're dealing with here.

When does it become unwatchable? When does it become less of a man's sport?

I think we're just starting to see that come into play, and it may not end too well if they keep going that same route.

Back in Montana's days, they had real kickoffs, late hits were arguable, how they hit didn't matter a whole lot, and leading with your head was a way for players to be safer from a hit. Given what has transpired over the last twenty years, how tech/humanity/lawyers progress, it may be less the time to take more away from the game even qucker in today's society. That's what worries me.

I find the game no less entertaining now than before.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 15, 2013, 03:36:06 PM

don't give me that whole "they are wussyfying the game" bs .  It's real easy to talk tough when its not your body . 

gone

Hall of Famer
#13 : June 15, 2013, 03:47:04 PM

Not much on the sympathy factor here.  The NFL is a rough gig, but it is far from uniquely dangerous.  There are many other professions with greater health and physical risks and pay millions less.  Players know what they are signing up for and they want the rewards: fame, wealth, competition at the highest level.

NFL will surely look different in 20 years, but it will still exist.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 15, 2013, 03:51:42 PM

And I wonder if say Earl Campbell, who can barely walk and spends much of his time in a wheel chair, would in retrospect trade the fame and fortune he made to be healthy and not in pain again. 

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lem Barney: NFL won't be around in 10-20 years « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools