Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to ESPN Bucs aren't even an option to make the playoffs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#30 : June 15, 2013, 04:38:25 PM

how often are Bill Bilichick coached teams not ready to ball?  How often is Tom Brady not prepared snd focused?  I plan to be at that game and would love that but it ain't gonna happen.  If we beat them we are gonna have to earn it.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012091602/2012/REG2/cardinals@patriots#menu=highlights|contentId:0ap1000000062931&tab=analyze
yep.  They're  good for about 1 stinker a year.  The year before it was against the Browns.  So we have a 1 in 15 chance.  Better than winning the lottery I guess but still not good odds. 
: June 15, 2013, 04:40:00 PM Skull and Bones

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#31 : June 15, 2013, 04:46:40 PM

Money talks. ESPN and other sports networks will always provide more coverage of the major market teams.
The small market teams need to beat the large market teams to earn coverage and that's usually only after mid season.
Meanwhile, the Bucs have not been relevant in years because we just don't beat teams with winning records.
We hold out true hope as fans, outsiders don't.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#32 : June 15, 2013, 06:36:59 PM

Vegas has the Bucs winning 7.5 games.

As I recall Vegas had us at 4.5 games last year and had the Saints as 9.5. The Colts were only 4.5 games as well. Those were the one's I remember.

I also don't remember Baltimore to be shoo-in's for the Superbowl either.

They were off a little bit...

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#33 : June 15, 2013, 06:42:15 PM

So basically they predict the same exact teams who made it last season, plus the Saints .....way to go out on a limb , ESPN. <yawn>

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 15, 2013, 06:45:40 PM

As I recall Vegas had us at 4.5 games last year and had the Saints as 9.5. The Colts were only 4.5 games as well. Those were the one's I remember.

Vegas isn't in the business of making actual predictions . Vegas simply sets their lines based on public perception . That way they can get close to even money bet on both sides of the wager ( this is so they can't lose ). This is also why they will adjust that line if too much money is coming in on one side . 

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#35 : June 15, 2013, 07:07:23 PM

Vegas isn't in the business of making actual predictions . Vegas simply sets their lines based on public perception . That way they can get close to even money bet on both sides of the wager ( this is so they can't lose ). This is also why they will adjust that line if too much money is coming in on one side .

Exactly, so using the Vegas odds of W-L record as if they were some kind of experts as a argument is silly.

The public perception, which drives those predictions, basically comes from the so-called Sports experts like Schlereth, whose motivation is to CYA before training camp even starts. So the easiest way, is to say that the teams that made it last year are the one's that are the favorites to make it this year, with a change or two.

Like the Great Oz, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 15, 2013, 07:13:07 PM

Who cares what ESPN says. They got a good enough team to win big games. Its put up or shut up time in TB.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#37 : June 15, 2013, 08:45:09 PM

Honestly, I agree with Ronde Barber on this one. He said that if they run the same defense they ran for the first 15 games last year they are crazy. IF Revis comes back 100% we will have one cb who can play the system. Goldson is a great player so Im expecting him to be able to play in the system too.

That still leaves LJ Wright Barron, Myron Lewis, Gorer, Black, etc. who cant play in the system. Its a system that requires the dbs to be left on islands, even the safeties. The dbs are left on an island so that our all pro speed rushers can get to the qb. Guys like bowers, clay, Watson. So, regardless of who our dbs are the system fails without getting to the qb.

Call me stupid, but i dont see last years system working even with two all pro dbs. I actually said on this board last year that the system would not work with Revis and Goldson. Hopefully we will put a system in place that will take advantage of our strengths, instead of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole like they did last year.

This will be an exciting year for me. Hopefully i will be proven wrong, and Schiano will adjust his system to make it work. Or, maybe his system will work just fine. If you look at the defensive backfield, we swapped Goldson for Barber and we swapped Revis for Biggers. No doubt Goldson will upgrade the safety position, but not having Ronde weakens the nickel position. So, there is one equation left. Is Revis going to be better than EJ Biggers? That depends how well his knee is healed. EJ Biggers was a fine cover corner, but he wasn't very good at playing the ball. If Revis knee is back to normal, i have no doubt, but if his knee isn't 100% then we are looking at the worst case scenario. A defensive backfield that isn't better than last years.

Its a damn shame they didn't retain Biggers, because Biggers and Revis could have been a true shutdown tandem, but obviously the db love was not there for Biggers.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#38 : June 15, 2013, 08:50:43 PM

Honestly, I agree with Ronde Barber on this one. He said that if they run the same defense they ran for the first 15 games last year they are crazy. IF Revis comes back 100% we will have one cb who can play the system. Goldson is a great player so Im expecting him to be able to play in the system too.

That still leaves LJ Wright Barron, Myron Lewis, Gorer, Black, etc. who cant play in the system. Its a system that requires the dbs to be left on islands, even the safeties. The dbs are left on an island so that our all pro speed rushers can get to the qb. Guys like bowers, clay, Watson. So, regardless of who our dbs are the system fails without getting to the qb.

Call me stupid, but i dont see last years system working even with two all pro dbs. I actually said on this board last year that the system would not work with Revis and Goldson. Hopefully we will put a system in place that will take advantage of our strengths, instead of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole like they did last year.

This will be an exciting year for me. Hopefully i will be proven wrong, and Schiano will adjust his system to make it work. Or, maybe his system will work just fine. If you look at the defensive backfield, we swapped Goldson for Barber and we swapped Revis for Biggers. No doubt Goldson will upgrade the safety position, but not having Ronde weakens the nickel position. So, there is one equation left. Is Revis going to be better than EJ Biggers? That depends how well his knee is healed. EJ Biggers was a fine cover corner, but he wasn't very good at playing the ball. If Revis knee is back to normal, i have no doubt, but if his knee isn't 100% then we are looking at the worst case scenario. A defensive backfield that isn't better than last years.

Its a damn shame they didn't retain Biggers, because Biggers and Revis could have been a true shutdown tandem, but obviously the db love was not there for Biggers.

WOW.. Really?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 15, 2013, 08:59:13 PM

Biggers was the no.1 corner here for the last few years. We have Revis and zero other cover corners on the roster right now. Pay attention. Biggers is hugely underrated on this board. He put up very good numbers in Raheem's defense. Last year was a bit of an anomaly for him and he actually regressed in Schianos system. But so did all the dbs. Even Talib looked dreadful in it.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#40 : June 15, 2013, 09:05:20 PM

BIggers had horrific ball awareness. Guy could cover just fine and then NEVER make a play on the ball to prevent the WR from getting a reception. That is surely my recolection of watching him.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 15, 2013, 09:14:07 PM

He's still better than Wright LJ Gorer Myron Lewis?? The fact is this system requires cover corners and we let a good one walk with zero other cover corners on the roster. You realize how much worse last year would have been without Biggers? How many TD did Biggers give up all year? One? Two? How about LJ? Four or five in a handful of games?

If Revis knee doesn't heal up we have downgraded the position and we will have zero cover corners. Thats truth.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#42 : June 15, 2013, 09:21:26 PM

He's still better than Wright LJ Gorer Myron Lewis?? The fact is this system requires cover corners and we let a good one walk with zero other cover corners on the roster. You realize how much worse last year would have been without Biggers? How many TD did Biggers give up all year? One? Two? How about LJ? Four or five in a handful of games?

If Revis knee doesn't heal up we have downgraded the position and we will have zero cover corners. Thats truth.

Thats not TRUTH.. thats specualation. How do you go into a season expecting nothing but disappointment? If i felt as negative about my team I wouldnt bother with football at all. I just can't wrap my arms around this. Dont start with the "realist" crap either since its not realist... its pessimest.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#43 : June 15, 2013, 09:34:39 PM

What? This is reality. The Buccaners coaches made Biggers the no.1 cb the last few years, not me. It was the coaches who thought he was better than those other guys and made him our no.1 cb, not me. That is all truth.

I dont go into the season expecting disappointment, i just know exactly what i am looking  at.

If you want to have blind faith in this organisation, go ahead, but Im going to evaluate everything for myself.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 15, 2013, 09:39:45 PM

And where did I expect disappointment? I just went over the scenarios. I said IF Revis knee isn't better than we haven't upgraded the corner position. That was one scenario, the worst case scenario, not what Im expecting to happen?

And I said they should have retained Biggers because that would have made the team better. Where do you get the take that i am expecting disappointment?
Was it the part that i quoted from Ronde Barber who said they would be crazy to run this same defense?

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to ESPN Bucs aren't even an option to make the playoffs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools