Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ranking the divisions offensive position groups, what's your take and why? « previous next »
Page: 1

nitey

Hall of Famer
: June 15, 2013, 02:00:09 PM

Ranking the NFC South offensive position groups.

Okay so here's the discussion, how would you rank the four teams based upon the players at each offensive player group and why? Here's my list:

Quarterback:

1. Falcons - Ryan, Davis
2. Saints - Brees, Wallace
3. Carolina - Newton, Clausen
4. Tampa - Freeman, Glennon

I really love Drew Brees, but last season Matt Ryan was the better quarterback. I also think that Brees is in decline. Everyone talks about how many interceptions that Freeman gets, but over the last 3 years Brees has had 55 ints to Freeman's 45 and to Ryan's 25. While Brees throws more TDs, he puts his defense in tough positions too often. Ryan gets my nod as the best quarterback in the division. As to Newton in the #3 position, the reality is that Newton and Freeman share the 3rd position and are pretty distant from Brees and Ryan at the moment. I honestly don't think one is better than the other.

Running back/Fullback:

1. Tampa - Martin, Lorig, James
2. Saints - Sproles, Collins, Thomas
3. Carolina - Stewart, Williams, Tolbert
4. Falcons - Jackson, Rodgers, DiMarco

The fact of the matter here is that all 4 teams have great running attacks. Tampa gets the nod to the top rank because Martin got 1400+ yards and a pro bowl berth, but would fall to the bottom of the list if Martin got hurt. The Saints got my number 2 ranking because Payton does so much with Sproles and Carolina was made 3rd because of the balance they have between their 3 players. I think this makes it pretty clear though, that the Bucs need to find some depth behind Martin either with someone on the roster or another veteran that still on the market.

Wide Reciever:

1. Atlanta - Jones, White, Douglas
2. Tampa - Jackson, Williams, Underwood
3. Saints - Colston, Moore, Morgan
4. Carolina - Smith, Lafell, Hixon

Atlanta is the class of the division, but I think Tampa's wide outs are just as good. Both teams have a question mark at the third wide receiver position. The Saints are a very close #3, but like the other two are struggling to find a third wide receiver option. Carolina is Steve Smith and everyone else.

Tight Ends:

1. Saints - Graham, Watson, Higgins
2. Atlanta - Gonzalez, Coffman, Toilolo
3. Carolina - Olson, Hartsock, Rosario
4. Tampa - Stocker, Crabtree, Byham

I think this ranking is pretty clear cut. The Saints, have the best 1-2 punch of TE's in the division and I have no doubt Brees will make excellent use of them. A case could be made for Carolina having the 2nd best TE group, but Gonzalez, like Revis makes a case all by himself. Tampa, is just trying to see what they have in this position.

Offensive Tackles:

1. Tampa - Penn, Dotson, Carimi
2. Carolina - Gross, Williams, Bell
3. Saints - Brown, Smith, Strief 
4. Atlanta - Baker, Schraeder, ?

Now I don't know a lot about the other team's offensive tackle positions, but I've read that all the other three division teams have questions on one side of the line or the other. The Bucs seem like the only team that doesn't have questions at their offensive tackle position. I think Carolina might have the 2nd strongest tackle position, but Gross is older and may not stand up to another 16 game season, so I really don't know.

Guards/Center:

1. Tampa - Nicks, Joseph, Zuttah
2. Saints - Evans, Gubbs, de la Puente
3. Atlanta - Konz, Hawley, Johnson
4. Carolina - Kalil, Hangartner, Hicks

So that's my offensive rankings. What do you think? Where do you disagree and why?
: June 15, 2013, 02:38:00 PM nitey

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Hate

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 15, 2013, 02:53:59 PM

Quarterback - Brees, 'nuff said
Running Back - Saints, depth & versatility
WRs - Falcons, Bucs 2nd
TE - Saints, the best TE in the league last yr left off of top 100. What a crock

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 15, 2013, 03:08:23 PM

Seems right

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 15, 2013, 05:49:08 PM

My only quibble is Freeman should be above Newton. Despite Josh's occasional meltdowns, he has done it less than Newton. No question Brees and Ryan are easily the top two. Also agree Ryan is rising, Brees MAY be declining; after all he is the "old man" at 34...
    Crabtree or Noble COULD raise our TE ranking, but ain't there yet... 

And, I'd rate the Falcons RBs at #2. I am ASSUMING Jackson hasn't lost a step and Jacquizz Rodgers continues his upward trend... He looked a lot like the Douginator, I hate to say... 8)
: June 15, 2013, 05:52:25 PM NotDeadYet

gone

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 15, 2013, 07:51:22 PM

Isn't nitey the guy who ripped into someone else last week for asking people to grade our own groups?

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#5 : June 15, 2013, 08:14:16 PM

Nice writeup by the OP.
My initial impression was damn, this division is stacked at skill positions.
NOLA scores the most points over us... Brees & Co. Until we stop them were going nowhere.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 15, 2013, 08:17:27 PM

TE - Saints, the best TE in the league last yr left off of top 100. What a crock

Another example of why that list is a joke. I hate to say it obviously, but Graham is an absolute baller.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 15, 2013, 08:19:45 PM

My only quibble is Freeman should be above Newton. Despite Josh's occasional meltdowns, he has done it less than Newton. No question Brees and Ryan are easily the top two.

I absolutely hate Cam, but he was like one of the best QBs in the NFL over the last half of the season last year. **CENSORED** him but he's ahead of Josh right now in this strong QB division imo.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 15, 2013, 08:24:29 PM

Nice writeup by the OP.
My initial impression was damn, this division is stacked at skill positions.
NOLA scores the most points over us... Brees & Co. Until we stop them were going nowhere.
if all 32 teams were QB less and could choose between Newton or Freeman who would get pick the majority?  Now I don't think it would be 32-0 or anything like that but I do believe Newton would lead. 

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ranking the divisions offensive position groups, what's your take and why? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools