Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dashon Goldson the punt protector? « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 16, 2013, 12:03:24 AM »

Dashon Goldson the punt protector? Sure.

by Gil Arcia

June 14, 2013

Several reports suggested the Bucs overpaid for safety Dashon Goldson when they signed him at the start of free agency. General manager Mark Dominik and the team would disagree while adding that the All-Pro safety brings many dimensions to the football field. And among those dimensions, his ability to play special teams had to have been a plus for the team.

Position players play on special teams all the time. Whether they help out the punt or kickoff units is no big secret. For the Bucs, Goldson appears as though he will also serve as the punt protector.

At day 1 of the Bucs mini-camp practices on Tuesday, an interesting sight was Tampa Bay’s $41.25 million man lined up as punt protector for the majority of snaps during punting drills. While it seemed awkward at first, Goldson is no stranger to the position.

As a member of the the San Francisco 49ers, he served as their punt protector also. To shed some light on Goldson’s past as a punt protector, 49ers beat writer for the Mercury News, Monte Poole, told TheBayCave.com that the former 49ers Pro Bowler was a threat at the position.

“Two reasons why Goldson generally lined up as the protector for punter Andy Lee,” Poole said. “One, he’s a ferocious tackler who liked special teams. Two, he’s a legitimate threat to take a fake.”

And a threat for a fake he is.

During the 2012 season with San Francisco, Goldson — in as the punt protector — took a direct snap and rushed for 31 yards in Week 15 against the New England Patriots (video after the post). It was his only run of the season but the fact that he is now a threat to run the ball gives Tampa Bay yet another potential weapon to keep their offense on the field at any moment of a game.

Head coach Greg Schiano has been high on the importance of special teams since the first day he stepped into One Buc Place. After the mishap on the punt against the Kansas City Chiefs last season where Cody Grimm was the protector at the time, one has to believe this offseason the Buccaneers have truly evaluated last season’s film thoroughly.

The signing of Dashon Goldson was not only to prevent receivers from getting into the end zone, but also to give the Bucs another option in a crucial phase of the game, special teams. For that reason, the Bucs did not overpay for Goldson’s services, they may have gotten one of heck of a deal.

http://www.thebaycave.com/2013/06/14/dashon-goldson-the-punt-protector-sure/

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 16, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »

I like it.  I don't know if Schiano is crazy enough to run that play though. Depends on field position I suppose.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : June 16, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »

He wasn't overpaid. Within the next year someone else will make more money than him, and he's relitively cheap for a FA in a position that didn't have a whole lot of competition, and he's got a whole lot of football left in him, as well as being in his prime right now.

To try to add that he's a good punt protector is all good and dandy, but they shouldn't try to sell it off as some great big selling point. ST has taken a big hit the last few years regarding importance to the game, so it's obviously more important that he play the position he was made for, rather than worry about ST.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 16, 2013, 02:29:06 PM »

He wasn't overpaid. Within the next year someone else will make more money than him, and he's relitively cheap for a FA in a position that didn't have a whole lot of competition, and he's got a whole lot of football left in him, as well as being in his prime right now.

To try to add that he's a good punt protector is all good and dandy, but they shouldn't try to sell it off as some great big selling point. ST has taken a big hit the last few years regarding importance to the game, so it's obviously more important that he play the position he was made for, rather than worry about ST.

Wannstadt disagrees.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : June 16, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »

Wannstadt disagrees.

Oh phooey, wannstadt doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. (partially kidding)

Falling down the coaching ranks surely makes me a believer though.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : June 16, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »

Wannstadt disagrees.

Oh phooey, wannstadt doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. (partially kidding)

Falling down the coaching ranks surely makes me a believer though.

Special teams could greatly improve under Wannstadt, if he uses Goldson as described, and if Demps shows up.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #6 : June 16, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »

Heres hoping Demps shows up. I wanted him last year, and rumor has it hell be available to us by mid-August for the pre-season. Not sure how long it will take him to get into football shape, and Im not banking on him in any way, but hed be a nice weapon to have back there returning kicks IMO. If he can pick up some reps at RB too, then great. I dont think hes costing us much regardless. Anybody know what his cap hit is/how long hes under contract for? Yuccs, Im looking at you haha.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #7 : June 16, 2013, 07:11:16 PM »

Another reason why I love the Goldson signing

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 16, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »

Havent heard a bad thing about the guy and all kinds of good.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dashon Goldson the punt protector? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools