Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former Gator Aaron Hernandez questioned in murder.... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 84

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#945 : July 27, 2013, 04:28:22 PM

If UF was involved in a coverup of a shooting while Hernandez was at UF, they are partly culpable for crimes he committed afterwards.

If UF wasn't involved in a coverup of a shooting while Hernandez was at UF, they are not culpable at all for crimes he committed afterwards.

I think what you mean is that looking at it NOW . .  . in perfect hindsight . .  . . after the guy has been charged and incarcerated in one murder with 2 more hanging in the balance and this has been on television and a nearly national discussion . . . then with that perfect hindsight we could then say that IF  . . . .  IF . .  . UF was "involved in a coverup" (and by coverup you must mean if UF intentionally obstructed justice of a shooting in which Hernandez was involved) . . . .  . then UF MIGHT have had an opportunity (at best) to assist authorities (rather than obstruct justice) and that might have led to the guy being incarcerated for  short period of time . . . .  . and IF all that came true . . . there is a chance he doesn't get in the NFL . . .  .which I guess you think leads to these crimes?

My point -- and I am not a Gator fan -- is that its a huge stretch to blame UF for a guy killing somebody years after.  One could fairly say that UF (and many schools I imagine) need to evaluate whether they enable some fairly bad guys for their own gain . . . . but accomplice to murder? to blame for a murder?  wow, that's a pretty big stretch isnt it?

Simple question do you think CFB players involved with criminal activity should have their charges always dropped so they can always be on the field?

simple question:  proof? 
 simple follow-up question" if true, proof it is UNIQUE to any one school?

You seem to be taking your negative view of a problem that plagues all top CFB and putting it all on Florida. On top of that you're just grossly overstating the case

Runole

Hall of Famer
#946 : July 27, 2013, 07:17:18 PM

34-21-2 is embarrassing if you want to call yourself a rival...

I will take that everyday over excusing criminal behavior to get that edge in wins. 

Well considering you are taking that while still excusing criminole behavior .....that must suck for you .  :P

Keep sticking your head in the sand believing the way UF excuses its criminal behavior while throwing stones at FSU... The ostrich defense...  Not compelling...

Runole

Hall of Famer
#947 : July 27, 2013, 07:33:00 PM

If UF was involved in a coverup of a shooting while Hernandez was at UF, they are partly culpable for crimes he committed afterwards.

If UF wasn't involved in a coverup of a shooting while Hernandez was at UF, they are not culpable at all for crimes he committed afterwards.

I think what you mean is that looking at it NOW . .  . in perfect hindsight . .  . . after the guy has been charged and incarcerated in one murder with 2 more hanging in the balance and this has been on television and a nearly national discussion . . . then with that perfect hindsight we could then say that IF  . . . .  IF . .  . UF was "involved in a coverup" (and by coverup you must mean if UF intentionally obstructed justice of a shooting in which Hernandez was involved) . . . .  . then UF MIGHT have had an opportunity (at best) to assist authorities (rather than obstruct justice) and that might have led to the guy being incarcerated for  short period of time . . . .  . and IF all that came true . . . there is a chance he doesn't get in the NFL . . .  .which I guess you think leads to these crimes?

My point -- and I am not a Gator fan -- is that its a huge stretch to blame UF for a guy killing somebody years after.  One could fairly say that UF (and many schools I imagine) need to evaluate whether they enable some fairly bad guys for their own gain . . . . but accomplice to murder? to blame for a murder?  wow, that's a pretty big stretch isnt it?

Simple question do you think CFB players involved with criminal activity should have their charges always dropped so they can always be on the field?

You seem to be taking your negative view of a problem that plagues all top CFB and putting it all on Florida. On top of that you're just grossly overstating the case

No actually I am not but I ask again if you can produce any other college football team that won (2) national championships with 41 arrested players?  I will stand corrected.

Gangland style players infiltrating college campuses and little if anything stifling their behavior is a huge problem for the sport and SORRY but UF is the poster child for that problem from everything I have read.

This was a gangland style execution that had its roots with a couple of previous situations at UF for Hernandez that were ignored.

Why is the NFL and Patriots distancing themselves so much from the problem before the trial has even been held?  The NFL is trying to minimize the damage to the leagues image for allowing the guy in the NFL in the first place.

Why is UF removing all the memorabilia of Hernandez?    IMO They are hiding the fact that they consistently enabled this gangster while he attended the school offering no consequences for his criminal behavior.

There is a simple solution...  When a player is arrested take away that privilege of playing on Saturday if it continues take it away some more.  After that... Out the door! 

Again, find me some other ( 2 time) Championship College Football team with that many criminals on the team, and I will agree that I am overstating the problems at UF.   Perhaps your research will show such a thing because I certainly don't see any other CFB program with anything close to what has been going on at UF.

As much as that disturbs me what disturbs me more is gator fans on this thread that have no remorse or care at all about the situation.
: July 27, 2013, 07:50:11 PM Runole

Runole

Hall of Famer
#948 : July 27, 2013, 07:39:58 PM

Of course I guess you could be one of those gator fans like the Pouncey twins and feel Hernandez is still innocent despite the compelling evidence presented so far.
did you mock aaron rodgers for sticking up for his friend despite compelling evidence?

sticking up for a friend is fine suggesting that he be released for a gangland style murder is something completely different.  " Free Hernandez " is sticking up for a friend?   WOW!

Are you actually comparing Braun with Hernandez?   GOOD LORD!     I guess you still believe Hernandez isn't guilty?   If that is the case you better get on the phone and tell UF to put those plaques  back in place because they obviously don't agree with you.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#949 : July 27, 2013, 09:53:19 PM

No actually I am not but I ask again if you can produce any other college football team that won (2) national championships with 41 arrested players?  I will stand corrected.

Gangland style players infiltrating college campuses and little if anything stifling their behavior is a huge problem for the sport and SORRY but UF is the poster child for that problem from everything I have read.

This was a gangland style execution that had its roots with a couple of previous situations at UF for Hernandez that were ignored.

Why is the NFL and Patriots distancing themselves so much from the problem before the trial has even been held?  The NFL is trying to minimize the damage to the leagues image for allowing the guy in the NFL in the first place.

Why is UF removing all the memorabilia of Hernandez?    IMO They are hiding the fact that they consistently enabled this gangster while he attended the school offering no consequences for his criminal behavior.

There is a simple solution...  When a player is arrested take away that privilege of playing on Saturday if it continues take it away some more.  After that... Out the door! 

Again, find me some other ( 2 time) Championship College Football team with that many criminals on the team, and I will agree that I am overstating the problems at UF.   Perhaps your research will show such a thing because I certainly don't see any other CFB program with anything close to what has been going on at UF.

As much as that disturbs me what disturbs me more is gator fans on this thread that have no remorse or care at all about the situation.

so no proof, got it

Runole

Hall of Famer
#950 : July 28, 2013, 07:33:52 AM

so no proof, got it

41 players arrested on a 2 time national  championship team - what was the final depositions at UF?    This is not proof there is a problem? OK do you honestly believe that the Bucs would allow there to be 41 arrested players to continue on their team? Think that the NFL would tolerate this?

Let just look at Hernandez at UFwho was recently arrested and charged player with a gangland style murder that wasn't even charged at UF for almost the same thing  when he was involved in critically shooting some guy in a car with Reggie Nelson and being  ID'ed by a witness.  Has anyone ever been charged with the shooting?

The recent assault case of Morrision is nearly identical to one of Hernandez's early brushes with the law when all charges were dropped.

What does Cervone do to Morrison?  Yes, he defers any  sentence for 6 months so he can play ball and more than likely the charge will be dropped. Meanwhile, on probation Morrison interferes with an officer responding to a 911 call and is arrested again.  Cervone's response?  drop the charges..  Do you see the pattern?   Criminal behavior with no consequence if you are a football player.  If there are no consequences what is wrong with not doing the same thing again which is exactly what Hernandez did in New England but even worse.  Do you see the pattern? 

Trayvon Martin  should have been in a detention center instead of just being suspended from school same exact enabling by the school system which instead of considering him a potential criminal just labeled his crimes discipline issues to get a gold star from law enforcement and the criminal justice system for the school. Kid is dead now due to no one making him accountable for his actions.   See the pattern?

Getting suspended from school is punishment for someone that could give a crap about going to school in the first place?  Are you kidding me? It is called enabling and Trayvon was on the same path as Hernandez without of course the "financing" and enabling Hernandez received which allowed him to be involved in even worse behavior.  See the pattern?

It really isn't that hard to connect the dots is it?    41 arrested players with little if anything done of consequence at UF but making sure they stayed on the field.  No proof???  Really?

If you can't see the pattern I really don't know what else to say except no wonder this country is in such bad shape.  What more proof do you need? Another gangland style murder by a UF football player?

Is the new standard for society to "HUG A THUG" and give the thug no consequence for his criminal behavior?

Back to Hernandez...
It should be noted he was never held accountable by UF, or the criminal justice system of Alachua county which consistently turns a blind eye to criminal behavior of the members of its college football team. 

You are aware that both Cervone and Johnson are UF boosters and fans?

You are aware that Cervone calls Foley as soon as any player is arrested to get the OK on how to proceed..

Translated: "How important is this guy to the team"?    Starting MLB? " OK I will drop the charges on the resisting arrest" ,  "OK talk to you later Jeremy GO GATORS!"

"Hey WIll this is Jeremy, looks like Morrison screwed up again go ahead and continue with the suspension for now and just allow Morrison to continue to practice with team.  Probably would be a good idea to go ahead and suspend him from the first game for appearances, and then of course you can announce to the world that Antonio has been a model citizen and after further review will allow him to play for the Miami game... and of course the usual "Antonio is on thin ice"  See ya later... GO GATORS! "

watch and see... Perhaps I will be wrong and Muschamp actually will suspend Antonio for the Miami game but IMO He won't..  Stay tuned we can revisit this topic after the Miami game.

On the bigger problem regardless of what happens to Antonio....
Hey I will agree that I have no proof if you can come up with any 2 time championship CFB team with 41 arrested players with little if any consequence.  Take all the time you need...

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#951 : July 28, 2013, 07:47:08 AM

34-21-2

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#952 : July 28, 2013, 09:46:16 AM

so no proof, got it

41 players arrested on a 2 time national  championship team - what was the final depositions at UF?    This is not proof there is a problem? OK do you honestly believe that the Bucs would allow there to be 41 arrested players to continue on their team? Think that the NFL would tolerate this?

Let just look at Hernandez at UFwho was recently arrested and charged player with a gangland style murder that wasn't even charged at UF for almost the same thing  when he was involved in critically shooting some guy in a car with Reggie Nelson and being  ID'ed by a witness.  Has anyone ever been charged with the shooting?

The recent assault case of Morrision is nearly identical to one of Hernandez's early brushes with the law when all charges were dropped.

What does Cervone do to Morrison?  Yes, he defers any  sentence for 6 months so he can play ball and more than likely the charge will be dropped. Meanwhile, on probation Morrison interferes with an officer responding to a 911 call and is arrested again.  Cervone's response?  drop the charges..  Do you see the pattern?   Criminal behavior with no consequence if you are a football player.  If there are no consequences what is wrong with not doing the same thing again which is exactly what Hernandez did in New England but even worse.  Do you see the pattern? 

Trayvon Martin  should have been in a detention center instead of just being suspended from school same exact enabling by the school system which instead of considering him a potential criminal just labeled his crimes discipline issues to get a gold star from law enforcement and the criminal justice system for the school. Kid is dead now due to no one making him accountable for his actions.   See the pattern?

Getting suspended from school is punishment for someone that could give a crap about going to school in the first place?  Are you kidding me? It is called enabling and Trayvon was on the same path as Hernandez without of course the "financing" and enabling Hernandez received which allowed him to be involved in even worse behavior.  See the pattern?

It really isn't that hard to connect the dots is it?    41 arrested players with little if anything done of consequence at UF but making sure they stayed on the field.  No proof???  Really?

If you can't see the pattern I really don't know what else to say except no wonder this country is in such bad shape.  What more proof do you need? Another gangland style murder by a UF football player?

Is the new standard for society to "HUG A THUG" and give the thug no consequence for his criminal behavior?

Back to Hernandez...
It should be noted he was never held accountable by UF, or the criminal justice system of Alachua county which consistently turns a blind eye to criminal behavior of the members of its college football team. 

You are aware that both Cervone and Johnson are UF boosters and fans?

You are aware that Cervone calls Foley as soon as any player is arrested to get the OK on how to proceed..

Translated: "How important is this guy to the team"?    Starting MLB? " OK I will drop the charges on the resisting arrest" ,  "OK talk to you later Jeremy GO GATORS!"

"Hey WIll this is Jeremy, looks like Morrison screwed up again go ahead and continue with the suspension for now and just allow Morrison to continue to practice with team.  Probably would be a good idea to go ahead and suspend him from the first game for appearances, and then of course you can announce to the world that Antonio has been a model citizen and after further review will allow him to play for the Miami game... and of course the usual "Antonio is on thin ice"  See ya later... GO GATORS! "

watch and see... Perhaps I will be wrong and Muschamp actually will suspend Antonio for the Miami game but IMO He won't..  Stay tuned we can revisit this topic after the Miami game.

On the bigger problem regardless of what happens to Antonio....
Hey I will agree that I have no proof if you can come up with any 2 time championship CFB team with 41 arrested players with little if any consequence.  Take all the time you need...

If your only response to a simple question is a long rant . . .  . you might be off your rocker . . .  . just a thought

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#953 : July 28, 2013, 12:03:31 PM

How do you like the glimpse in the mirror, Counselor?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#954 : July 28, 2013, 12:32:49 PM

Posted by: VinBucFan

"If your only response to a simple question is a long rant . . .  . you might be off your rocker . . .  . just a thought"

Well since your only response  was  " NO PROOF"  I thought you would require more evidence of my assertions with a lengthier more detailed explanation. That is what one usually does when someone apparently doesn't get a particular point.

Obviously, it was too much for you to grasp by your rather infantile response.     

If  using a little bit of Common Sense is being off one's rocker  I guess I am guilty. 

If I consider ethics, integrity, honesty as important is being off one's rocker.... again guilty as charged.

If actually having a moral compass that doesn't approve of coddling criminal behavior by institutions of higher learning just to win football games is off one's rocker again guilty as charged.

Just a thought but apparently you approve of such behavior by your smarmy remarks. 

JMO but I think you need to look in a mirror before stating someone is off their rocker because they don't approve of excusing criminal behavior and even gang style executions.   

Runole

Hall of Famer
#955 : July 28, 2013, 01:36:24 PM

34-21-2

FSU = 14 -12 -1  over the last 25 years     2 out of 3 over the last 3 years....  :D ;D :P

Not that the series has anything to do with 41 players arrested from UF's championship teams and a former praised All American gator player charged with gangland style executions. 

Not the most intelligent deflection for fans that  claim UF to be the" Harvard of the South."  Can't say I am impressed.  Did you actually attend UF?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#956 : July 28, 2013, 04:16:20 PM

34-21-2

Runole

Hall of Famer
#957 : July 28, 2013, 05:05:40 PM

speaking of cover up it appears your assertion is on point  read this explanation by a gator writer concerning the Hernandez issue...

Adam Silverstein
InsidetheGators.com Columnist

The Silver Lining comes to you at week's end during the summer to highlight some of the most important Florida Gators-related sports stories from the past week.

Associated Press   

Though they will keep the 2008 National Championship that he helped to win, Florida has decided to do away with all other mention linking Aaron Hernandez to the football program    
It is always nice when something divisive happens just as I'm sitting down to write Adam's Angle and nothing could fit that bill better this week than Florida's University Athletic Association removing the 2009 All-American brick featuring Aaron Hernandez's name from outside of The Swamp on Thursday.

From the tweets and e-mails I received, Gator Nation is legitimately split on Florida's decision. Some argue the Gators made the right move in trying to scrub away the tarnish associated with Hernandez's name while others think Florida was too expeditious in its actions and failed to allow the legal process to determine whether or not he is guilty of the heinous acts he is accused of committing.

What many are failing to realize is that while "innocent until proven guilty" is the standard for our legal system across this great country, it is not UF's job to determine his guilt or innocence but rather act in the best interests of the university.

And it is in Florida's best interest not to remind students, parents, fans, visitors or potential students (and perhaps most importantly to the UAA, boosters and potential student-athletes) that Hernandez made a name for himself with "Gators" on his helmet.

There is a reason this happened one day before Friday Night Lights, the school's annual recruiting spectacular, and just over one month before the season opens at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Aug. 31.

It is also crucial to note that while Florida is pulling up a brick and replacing some pictures, it is not taking away Hernandez's accomplishments. The Gators are not crossing him out of the program's record books but rather choosing to no longer glorify him as a person because of his decaying character.

UF is trying to turn Hernandez into a memory so he can fade away and become a background image when you think about the football program rather than have his name and likeness, posted all over the football facility, serve as a constant reminder of a player that succeeded on Florida Field but failed in life.

For Gators fans chastising Florida for making this decision, do you really want to walk by that brick on your way to a game on Saturday? Do you really want opposing fans stopping to take pictures with it as a means of trying to further sully the name of your school? Do you really want ESPN's producers, while in town to televise a big game for the network, switching over to a pre-recorded video of the brick during a lull in game action?

This is not 1995. It is 2013. People of the State of California vs. Orenthal James Simpson was decided 16 years ago. The world has changed. Social media and the internet do not allow this story to be something you only hear about when you pick up the paper in the morning, walk over to the water cooler at work or watch the news at night. This Hernandez case will be in the news and on television, sure, but also on your Twitter feed and Facebook timeline. It will likely be mentioned during every Gators or Patriots game this season. It is everywhere. It is not disappearing any time soon, and it is only going to get worse from here?especially because it is no longer about just one case.

Hernandez is not only the prime suspect in the shooting death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd. Massachusetts authorities are attempting to connect him (and believe they are close to doing so) to the 2012 shooting deaths of two other men. Hernandez has also been accused of shooting a friend in the eye while riding a car in Florida last year. He's not accused of two simultaneous crime-of-passion murders in one location on one date but rather a series of shootings taking place over an extended period of time.

By this point, it should come as no surprise to you that I agree with Florida's decision and the general logic for removing Hernandez's brick along with his name and likeness throughout the Gators football facility.

But I do have to seriously question the UAA's execution.

It bothers me that UF was not smart enough to realize there were much better options when it came to carrying out the announcement and removal of the brick. What happened on Thursday was far from the most ideal way to handle the situation.

If the whole point of the decision was to no longer glorify Hernandez and stop references connecting him to the Gators, why blatantly provide the media with another big news story by having someone dig up the brick at 8 a.m. on a Thursday as people are walking to class and work, taking a morning jog or grabbing some breakfast?

Why do this at a time of the day that the campus is busy and full of life, when a journalism professor might be walking by and can snap a picture, or when a media member can easily be alerted to the situation and rush over on a moment's notice?

Why send out a four-sentence explanation after the fact - without a single word from the athletic director or school president - rather than nipping everything in the bud and attacking the situation head-on with an official statement from either of the University's most esteemed leaders?

Florida says it "put together an immediate plan after the initial news broke" to wipe Hernandez's stain off of the facility. While removing the brick was understandably "a more complex process," there was no reason for it to be a public display.

If the Gators had this planned, why not release a full statement ahead of time explaining the reasoning and noting that the brick would be removed at some point in the next week? Florida could have sent someone out there at 4 a.m. to get it done on a random day when the chances of there being spectators, gawkers or media would be greatly reduced if not completely eliminated - here today, gone tomorrow.

Or if the Gators wanted it gone first before explaining themselves, just reverse the process. Still send someone out at 4 a.m. to cut the brick out of the ground and then release an official statement - more than four insulting sentences without a word from anyone in a position of authority - at 8 a.m. before the blank brick in its place would even be noticed.

(If there is some legal issue I'm not taking into account - such as construction only being allowed to occur at certain times or permits only going into effect beginning at 8 a.m. - just place one of those orange barriers in a square around the area.)

Either way, no matter what, control the situation.

Perhaps UF, which has been overwhelmed with negative media attention over the last few weeks, thought it could get a shred of positive publicity out of the decision. Maybe Florida believed it would be praised just like New England was for taking some action. (The Patriots allowed fans to exchange their Hernandez jerseys for another player on the team.)

Regardless of the motivation or the reasoning, the Gators were aware they would get some negative blowback by removing the brick, just as they would have if it was left in place.

The true issue at hand is not the decision to remove the brick but rather the fact that that Florida had a terrific opportunity to ameliorate the unfortunate situation but ultimately failed.

Nothing to SEE!   Aaron Hernandez?  Former gator?    Never heard of him!  ::)

Runole

Hall of Famer
#958 : July 28, 2013, 05:09:27 PM

34-21-2

14 -12 - 1 over the last 25 years in FSU's favor.....   

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#959 : July 28, 2013, 05:30:31 PM

Oh I see ...so you only want to start keeping score during the 90's ...when FSU began leading the nation in arrests and scandals . LOL

Keep up with ridiculous hypocritcal agenda ,Runole , everyone already thinks you are crazy.

34-21-2.

Page: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 84
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former Gator Aaron Hernandez questioned in murder.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools