Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Buccaneers Pursue Willis McGahee as Insurance for Doug Martin ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 21, 2013, 12:00:01 AM »

Should the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Pursue Willis McGahee as Insurance for Doug Martin?

Jun 20th, 2013 at 7:57 pm

by Michael Decker

It seems the stellar success of Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ running back Doug Martin, who showed sustained greatness over his rookie campaign, led the Bucs to believe him the Iron Man of the NFC South. The Muscle Hamster toted the rock 319 times, an average of 20 times per game. Bucs’ fans could be forgiven for thinking it was 1987 all over again with a running back focused offense. More impressive than Martin’s number of carries was how he made the most of them. He churned out 1,454 yards on the ground and scored 11 TDs. When you add to this Martin’s 49 catches for 472 yards and a score, you have the ultimate three-down back.

Coach Schiano seems intent to ride Martin’s legs as long and as far as he will carry them. Martin’s presence adds tremendous balance to the offense and gives QB Josh Freeman a nice security blanket, both in rushing and as a safety valve in the passing game. So comfortable are the Bucs with Martin, that they traded away former RB steal LeGarette “One Punch” Blount to the New England Patriots for Olympic relay member and former Florida Gator Jeff Demps, who went undrafted in 2012. Demps spent the 2012 season on injured reserve and so has not played a snap in the NFL. He is small – at 5’ 7” and 175 lbs he will remind some Pewter fans of Warrick Dunn, who, although an NFL munchkin at 5’ 9” and 185 lbs rushed for more than 10,000 yards over his career. It’s hard to believe that they come much smaller than Dunn, who wowed fans and players with his ability to stick his head in the pile and surprising power for his size. Demps is a much different beast – an outside runner with truly world-class speed in an age when the term is overused. But it’s hard to get excited about a guy who may not make the squad.

Who else is there? RB Brian Leonard, the most experienced back on the roster, is a journeyman and a serviceable player. He was an exciting dual threat in college but has been a special teams player and backup in the NFL. Mike Brown, a rookie from Temple, is tiny at 5’ 5’’ and is a return-man only, if he sticks. Rookie sixth-round pick Mike James (Miami) was little-used in college and is a borderline talent whose versatility and size may afford him the opportunity to land a backup spot. Michael Smith has not a single carry in the NFL. This, folks is an RB corps as deep as the kiddy end of the pool. Should Bucs fans be worried? The smart money says yes – despite his thick build and durability, Martin could go down and there is zero backup help.  The Bucs have a youth-movement mentality, and that is laudable, but some age and experience doesn’t hurt a thing, especially when the RB is someone like former Miami star Willis McGahee, who is rehabbing a medial collateral ligament injury. McGahee would bring a veteran presence to the Bucs RB corps that is presently lacking. He is a tough inside runner who still can produce. The Bucs need some insurance at the position – maybe it’s time to pick up the phone and give the Florida native a call.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/06/20/should-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-pursue-willis-mcgahee-as-insurance-for-doug-martin/

Havok904

Starter

« #1 : June 21, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »

Nope...

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #2 : June 21, 2013, 12:51:01 AM »

Yep.

Mike James ain't gonna do **CENSORED**.

The day Douggie goes down is the day this season comes to an end.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 21, 2013, 12:56:12 AM »

Willis was a great player for awhile there, but he is 31 now, lots of miles on him, and I don't think his knee is 100%.  He says it is, and the Broncos say it is not.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 21, 2013, 01:12:32 AM »

If he's healthy, hell yea.

-------------------------------------------------------

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #5 : June 21, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »

Its not even a question. Of course we should sign him. If he doesn't prove during camp and preseason that he is the 2nd best RB on the roster, and is actually getting outplayed by our younger guys...then cut em. But all know that wouldn't happen because even at 31 he is light years ahead of Smith, James, and Leonard.

Those of you that are in denial about our RB situation, let me ask you....what happens when we are 10-4 and Martin goes down with an injury? You ready to head into the playoffs with Brian freaking Leonard?

We already passed on Bradshaw. We should not pass on McGahee.
« : June 21, 2013, 01:22:55 AM JDouble »

Draft Aaron Donald

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 21, 2013, 01:22:16 AM »

Its not even a question. Of course we should sign him. If he doesn't prove during camp and preseason that he is the 2nd best RB on the roster, and is actually getting outplayed by our younger guys...then cut em. But all know that wouldn't happen because even at 31 he is light years ahead of Smith, James, and Leonard.

I have a feeling James ends up on the PS.  But I think there will be better options when teams make final cuts, to snag a RB.  Healthier options.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
« #7 : June 21, 2013, 07:54:32 AM »

I would of liked to sign Stephens-Howlings, low miles and can return KO's.   

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 21, 2013, 08:11:22 AM »

Those of you that are in denial about our RB situation, let me ask you....what happens when we are 10-4 and Martin goes down with an injury? You ready to head into the playoffs with Brian freaking Leonard?

Come on bro, if we are 10-4 then most likely Doug Martin isn't the only reason why so the offense will just have to adjust. And get off Brian Leonard he won't be the guy regardless of what you think. You're getting on a guy that has the same value to the team as Nate Byham.. He is an on the bubble player, not Doug's backup.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #9 : June 21, 2013, 08:12:47 AM »

I would. There is your competent 3rd down back and Douggys insurance plan. Perfect fit for a guy with all that milage.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 21, 2013, 08:16:19 AM »

how much did mcgahee help the broncos in the playoffs last season? And why in the world would sully pass on Bradshaw after coaching him for a number of years?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #11 : June 21, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »

Baller,

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

« #12 : June 21, 2013, 08:25:39 AM »

Absolutely, 100%.
This guy is a baller and still has plenty in the tank to be a more than adequate backup to Martin.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #13 : June 21, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »

how much did mcgahee help the broncos in the playoffs last year?

He went on IR in week 10, so that point/question is completely void of reason and isn't worthy of debate. Thanks for responding though. When I said "those of you in denial of our RB situation" you were the first name to pop in my head.  :P

Draft Aaron Donald

croccaneer

Practice Squad

« #14 : June 21, 2013, 10:21:35 AM »

theres really nothing to lose here, sign him and see how he does in camp
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Buccaneers Pursue Willis McGahee as Insurance for Doug Martin ? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools