Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Buccaneers Pursue Willis McGahee as Insurance for Doug Martin ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 21, 2013, 10:26:31 AM

Find someone younger with healthy legs.......

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#16 : June 21, 2013, 10:39:32 AM

dz who ya got in mind?  I say if the price is right do it.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 21, 2013, 10:45:15 AM

dz who ya got in mind?  I say if the price is right do it.

Nobody.......maybe he gets signed........My thoughts are that Freeman will be the highlight this season, not the running game. It's decision time.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#18 : June 21, 2013, 10:51:31 AM

I would like to see McGahee start here in case Martin went down.

But i'm not sure if i want him here aslong Martin is still healthy. I mean why use late draft picks then, why sign undrafted or waived unproven players then?

Why replace your draft picks with vets BEFORE putting them in pads?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : June 21, 2013, 11:09:25 AM

Those of you that are in denial about our RB situation, let me ask you....what happens when we are 10-4 and Martin goes down with an injury? You ready to head into the playoffs with Brian freaking Leonard?
We already passed on Bradshaw. We should not pass on McGahee.
how much did mcgahee help the broncos in the playoffs last year?
He went on IR in week 10, so that point/question is completely void of reason and isn't worthy of debate. Thanks for responding though. When I said "those of you in denial of our RB situation" you were the first name to pop in my head.  :P
i dont think its void of reason...he couldnt help the broncos last season in the playoffs - he might not be around to help us this coming season in the playoffs.  i wouldnt be against signing him, i just dont think its necessary.  whats his personality like?  whats his work ethic like?  is he well liked in the lockerroom?  has he been a team captain?  how is his knee?

i just think RB is one of the easier positions in the league to handle, if thats denial, i wont argue it.  but to answer your original question, i would head into the playoffs with mike smith/mike james and use brian f'ing leonard as 3rd down back.  i would expect the defense to not put 8 in the box so if our OL and lorig do their jobs i would expect one of the mikes to hit the hole hard and not fumble.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : June 21, 2013, 12:55:35 PM

I would like to see McGahee start here in case Martin went down.

But i'm not sure if i want him here aslong Martin is still healthy. I mean why use late draft picks then, why sign undrafted or waived unproven players then?

Why replace your draft picks with vets BEFORE putting them in pads?

You aren't replacing them. If they look great then they earn the spot, But if they don't show enough in camp and preseason, then they become PS guys and you have a proven veteran ready to go....instead of being stuck with the young guy that didn't pan out or just isn't ready.

Draft Aaron Donald

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#21 : June 21, 2013, 01:01:09 PM

Those guys are either "potential" or already on someone's roster.
The younger guys with healthy legs are Micheal Smith and Mike James. They could potentially be good, but we don't know. I'd rather not gamble and take McGahee who has proven himself in this league

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#22 : June 21, 2013, 02:46:12 PM

Would take I guess, but there are 10 other guys who've changed hands this off season I'd rather have had.

If we weren't willing to give up a 5th and 2 mil per for Chris Ivory, why would we spend 2 pages on Willis McGahee? 

Felix Jones and Ahmad Bradshaw signed for peanuts. 

Dom better hope one of his boys steps up (and Dougie plays 16 games) because this is a pretty obvious stone to throw given the volume of proven NFL RB talent that was available for bargain basement prices.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 21, 2013, 06:25:11 PM

It's also possible Dom has a backup plan already in place. Like signing someone who gets cut later by another team who ISN'T 30+ and dinged. Committing this early to McGahee don't make sense, folks. It's panicking BEFORE there's even an emergency...  ;)

youngone

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 21, 2013, 06:48:48 PM

It's also possible Dom has a backup plan already in place. Like signing someone who gets cut later by another team who ISN'T 30+ and dinged. Committing this early to McGahee don't make sense, folks. It's panicking BEFORE there's even an emergency...  ;)
This

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 21, 2013, 08:11:52 PM

Exactly. Why would we want a vet who has been in various game situations and can identify exotic stunts and blitzes and be a great contributor when we have essentially two rookies and an old vet who averaged 3.2 YPC last year.

Why would we plan ahead and solidify the roster when there are so many Kregg Lumpkins out there?

Seriously though I would bet $100.00 that Dominik will address the RB situation before the season begins. I don't see any viable backup RB or 3rd down back on the roster. I don't see how anyone can think we are going to roll with our current backups. And I don't like the strategy of waiting until all of these types of players are signed and then being forced into Kregg Lumpkin. 

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 21, 2013, 09:24:32 PM

That is what I have been sayin.  There will be some pretty nice RB's thrown to the curb, at final cuts.  There is every year.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 21, 2013, 11:24:34 PM

This

Signing a veteran RB to a minimal non guaranteed contract is panicking? Dramatic much??

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 22, 2013, 01:34:13 AM

This

Signing a veteran RB to a minimal non guaranteed contract is panicking? Dramatic much??

I think there are better options.  Willis is a nice player, but there will be better options at final cuts.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 22, 2013, 10:18:40 AM

This

Exactly. Only valid argument for not signing Willis to a cheap one year deal, is that he has been a fumbler...and we know that doesn't fly with Schiano.

BEsides that, if he is healthy it is a no brainer and definitely not "panicking". Before his two year stint in Denver as starter, he spent several years in Baltimore backing up Ray Rice. He is a perfect short term answer for our #2.
: June 22, 2013, 10:24:19 AM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Buccaneers Pursue Willis McGahee as Insurance for Doug Martin ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools