Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Buccaneers Pursue Willis McGahee as Insurance for Doug Martin ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : June 22, 2013, 11:50:24 AM

Signing a veteran RB to a minimal non guaranteed contract is panicking? Dramatic much??
do we know that he would take a minimal non guaranteed contract rather than wait it out like john abraham?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#31 : June 22, 2013, 12:01:21 PM

We need better options and Dom is going to find a very serviceable RB come August.
We are but one snap away from tanking this season if Martin can't go.
Lets skip the drama and fess 
up. We currently don't have enough talent at RB.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#32 : June 22, 2013, 08:47:42 PM

We need better options and Dom is going to find a very serviceable RB come August.
We are but one snap away from tanking this season if Martin can't go.
Lets skip the drama and fess 
up. We currently don't have enough talent at RB.

Agree, but what people are disagreeing about is where to find that backup RB.   Its either sign a broken down RB with his knee held together by super glue.  Or be patient and pick up a healthy RB at final cuts.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#33 : June 22, 2013, 09:46:59 PM

Signing a veteran RB to a minimal non guaranteed contract is panicking? Dramatic much??
do we know that he would take a minimal non guaranteed contract rather than wait it out like john abraham?

No, we don't know that. But that would be the only obstacle, in my eyes.

Or be patient and pick up a healthy RB at final cuts.

I'm open to suggestions as to who those healthy RBs better than McGahee might be.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 22, 2013, 09:51:37 PM

I'm open to suggestions as to who those healthy RBs better than McGahee might be.

Evan Royster might not get by final cuts.

DerekPHFD

Rookie

#35 : June 23, 2013, 12:29:07 AM

Every FA RB available has questionable injury history, or they would not be FAs this late into the offseason.
But if we are saying they are all on equal playing field with health concerns, because Willis is not healthy, I'd rather have

Cedric Benson
Beanie Wells
Michael Turner

and for what i would believe a cheaper price tag:
Ryan Grant
La'Rod Stephen-Howlings
Kahlil Bell

For the record, I do not think we need to sign any of these players unless injury actually happens. But if i had to pick out of the oft-injuryed RBs on the market, these would be options I would be ok with.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#36 : June 23, 2013, 12:39:56 AM

because Willis is not healthy.......

And you know this, how?

DerekPHFD

Rookie

#37 : June 23, 2013, 12:42:02 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212512/article/report-willis-mcgahees-release-due-to-health-issues

DerekPHFD

Rookie

#38 : June 23, 2013, 12:52:19 AM

And he was tied for second in fumbles amongst running backs last year, and tied for first in fumbles lost amongst running backs. and he played in only ten games. I am not saying he hasn't been a productive running back, just saying that because of injuries, and fumble problems, I would rather have some other options at this stage in his career.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 23, 2013, 10:10:50 AM

i'd also like to hear what quality healthy rbs will be out there after final cuts.  I thought Willis was good last year and in a limited role for the right price I'd jump all over it.  If dougie went down with a serious injury we have only green late rd draft picks behind him along with mediocre tweener type guy in Leonard.  But no one you'd want to start for 3-4 weeks if the situation called for it.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : June 23, 2013, 10:23:06 AM

i'd also like to hear what quality healthy rbs will be out there after final cuts.  I thought Willis was good last year and in a limited role for the right price I'd jump all over it.  If dougie went down with a serious injury we have only green late rd draft picks behind him along with mediocre tweener type guy in Leonard.  But no one you'd want to start for 3-4 weeks if the situation called for it.
wash and indy were two playoff teams with unproven RB's - as starters.  our fans are just afraid of the unknown - and i get it.  but there is a reason that we arent jumping over these old banged up proven RB's.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 23, 2013, 10:50:50 AM

I have a feeling they will pick up somebody. I think Schiano knows what we all know. If Martin goes down were screwed. Maybe they have their eye on somebody.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#42 : June 23, 2013, 11:51:03 AM

Every FA RB available has questionable injury history, or they would not be FAs this late into the offseason.
But if we are saying they are all on equal playing field with health concerns, because Willis is not healthy, I'd rather have

Cedric Benson
Beanie Wells
Michael Turner

and for what i would believe a cheaper price tag:
Ryan Grant
La'Rod Stephen-Howlings
Kahlil Bell

For the record, I do not think we need to sign any of these players unless injury actually happens. But if i had to pick out of the oft-injuryed RBs on the market, these would be options I would be ok with.

Mother of god, if you seriously think any of those guys are better players than McGahee you need to go watch badminton or some **CENSORED** instead of football. McGahee might have had his two best seasons as a pro the past two years. Last season early in the year he was KILLING, I had him on my fantasy team. And he had 4 fumbles last year, lets not act like he's fumbling the ball every time he touches it. And in a backup role that number would be cut down even more. He's been a great leader, one of the hardest workers in the league and has never gotten in trouble his whole career. Like JDouble said, and something that has a logical chance of happening, if we're something like 10-4 and our team is on a roll towards the playoffs with Martin top 3 in the league in rushing and we have to turn to Michael Smith or Brian Leonard as our RB then we essentially just wasted a great season. Nobody is winning a Super Bowl with those guys as your RBs...but you definitely can with McGahee.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#43 : June 23, 2013, 04:57:51 PM

I think there are better options than Willis.  Dude has a lot of miles on him, and may be banged up depending on who you trust.

Evan Royster backed up Alfred Morris last season.  The word is, he may not make the final roster. He was the all time leading rusher at Penn State.

He is a good size dude too.  6-1  212lbs.

When he got a little playing time with the Skins, he ran for 132 yards on 19 carries against the Vikes.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#44 : June 23, 2013, 05:10:35 PM

I think there are better options than Willis.  Dude has a lot of miles on him, and may be banged up depending on who you trust.

Evan Royster backed up Alfred Morris last season.  The word is, he may not make the final roster. He was the all time leading rusher at Penn State.

He is a good size dude too.  6-1  212lbs.

When he got a little playing time with the Skins, he ran for 132 yards on 19 carries against the Vikes.

Word is?

As much as Shanny likes to run the ball, why would he cut a cheap effective backup to Morris?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Buccaneers Pursue Willis McGahee as Insurance for Doug Martin ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools