Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Buccaneers Pursue Willis McGahee as Insurance for Doug Martin ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#45 : June 23, 2013, 05:24:51 PM

I think there are better options than Willis.  Dude has a lot of miles on him, and may be banged up depending on who you trust.

Evan Royster backed up Alfred Morris last season.  The word is, he may not make the final roster. He was the all time leading rusher at Penn State.

He is a good size dude too.  6-1  212lbs.

When he got a little playing time with the Skins, he ran for 132 yards on 19 carries against the Vikes.

Word is?

As much as Shanny likes to run the ball, why would he cut a cheap effective backup to Morris?

They have a crowded backfield.  Alfred Morris, Roy Helu, Chris Thompson, Jawan Jamison.

All those guys except Morris,  would be cheaper options than Royster.   Shanny may give the young man a break, he is only 25, and doesn't have much chance to beat out Alfred Morris.

CSN Washington considers RB Evan Royster on the roster bubble.Royster had just 23 carries as a backup to Alfred Morris last season and will compete for a roster spot with Roy Helu and fifth-round RB Chris Thompson. Seventh-round pick Jawan Jamison is a candidate for practice squad.

Jun 22 - 8:58 PM

Source: Rick Tandler on Twitter

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#46 : June 23, 2013, 06:55:52 PM

Like JDouble said, and something that has a logical chance of happening, if we're something like 10-4 and our team is on a roll towards the playoffs with Martin top 3 in the league in rushing and we have to turn to Michael Smith or Brian Leonard as our RB then we essentially just wasted a great season. Nobody is winning a Super Bowl with those guys as your RBs...but you definitely can with McGahee.
how many superbowls have teams won with mcgahee?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#47 : June 23, 2013, 07:16:27 PM

Like JDouble said, and something that has a logical chance of happening, if we're something like 10-4 and our team is on a roll towards the playoffs with Martin top 3 in the league in rushing and we have to turn to Michael Smith or Brian Leonard as our RB then we essentially just wasted a great season. Nobody is winning a Super Bowl with those guys as your RBs...but you definitely can with McGahee.
how many superbowls have teams won with mcgahee?

That's a complete unknown. No more known than whether Mcgahee would be healthy enough to even play at that point. These are all guessing games on the effectiveness of the Bucs current or possible future depth.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#48 : June 23, 2013, 07:17:45 PM

Those of you that are in denial about our RB situation, let me ask you....what happens when we are 10-4 and Martin goes down with an injury? You ready to head into the playoffs with Brian freaking Leonard?

We already passed on Bradshaw. We should not pass on McGahee.
how much did mcgahee help the broncos in the playoffs last year?

He went on IR in week 10, so that point/question is completely void of reason and isn't worthy of debate. Thanks for responding though. When I said "those of you in denial of our RB situation" you were the first name to pop in my head.  :P
plus one

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#49 : June 23, 2013, 07:23:30 PM

It's also possible Dom has a backup plan already in place. Like signing someone who gets cut later by another team who ISN'T 30+ and dinged. Committing this early to McGahee don't make sense, folks. It's panicking BEFORE there's even an emergency...  ;)
This

Signing a veteran RB to a minimal non guaranteed contract is panicking? Dramatic much??
lots of stupidity on this board.  Peps will go to great lengths to defend every move or non move this organization chooses. 

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#50 : June 23, 2013, 07:25:07 PM

It's also possible Dom has a backup plan already in place. Like signing someone who gets cut later by another team who ISN'T 30+ and dinged. Committing this early to McGahee don't make sense, folks. It's panicking BEFORE there's even an emergency...  ;)
This

Signing a veteran RB to a minimal non guaranteed contract is panicking? Dramatic much??
lots of stupidity on this board.  Peps will go to great lengths to defend every move or non move this organization chooses.

And many go to great lenghts to find fault in the exact same moves or non moves....

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#51 : June 24, 2013, 03:22:59 PM

This

When your talking about "board stupidity", it would have more effect, if you used spell check.  Just sayin.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#52 : June 24, 2013, 03:29:24 PM

Jacquizz Rodgers is unhappy with his role in Atlanta, with them signing Steven Jackson.  Could be a possibility.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#53 : June 24, 2013, 03:44:15 PM

Jacquizz Rodgers is unhappy with his role in Atlanta, with them signing Steven Jackson.  Could be a possibility.

i doubt they cut their #2 back and certainly wouldn't trade him to a division rival. willis seems like the perfect fit.   What we are really looking for a is a stop gap. Someone who can help Doug for a year or so and then move on if James or Smith are ready to be the #2. Someone who can take 8-10 touches a game off Doug's plate now, handle blitz pick ups and start a few games if Doug goes down with an injury.  Willis fits that to me.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#54 : June 24, 2013, 03:51:40 PM

i doubt they cut their #2 back and certainly wouldn't trade him to a division rival. willis seems like the perfect fit.   What we are really looking for a is a stop gap. Someone who can help Doug for a year or so and then move on if James or Smith are ready to be the #2. Someone who can take 8-10 touches a game off Doug's plate now, handle blitz pick ups and start a few games if Doug goes down with an injury.  Willis fits that to me.

He could holdout. 

As I stated before somewhere in this thread,  there will be better options than Willis IMO.  Dude is pretty wore out. I am talking about final cuts, there are some nice players cut every year at final cuts.  Willis could probably handle 8-10 touches as you say, but then what,  if Dougie goes down for the year?  We need someone more reliable IMO.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#55 : June 24, 2013, 04:43:51 PM

He could holdout. 

As I stated before somewhere in this thread,  there will be better options than Willis IMO.  Dude is pretty wore out. I am talking about final cuts, there are some nice players cut every year at final cuts.  Willis could probably handle 8-10 touches as you say, but then what,  if Dougie goes down for the year?  We need someone more reliable IMO.
Interesting AJ.  Do you recall who the interesting players were last year who were cut or do you care to speculate on who you think may become available this year?  I'd really like to hear who last years "nice players" were if you remember.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#56 : June 24, 2013, 04:49:16 PM

He could holdout. 

Interesting AJ.  Do you recall who the interesting players were last year who were cut or do you care to speculate on who you think may become available this year?  I'd really like to hear who last years "nice players" were if you remember.

Evan Royster for one.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

DerekPHFD

Rookie

#57 : June 24, 2013, 05:47:16 PM

I'm open to suggestions as to who those healthy RBs better than McGahee might be.

Every FA RB available has questionable injury history, or they would not be FAs this late into the offseason.
But if we are saying they are all on equal playing field with health concerns, because Willis is not healthy, I'd rather have

Cedric Benson
Beanie Wells
Michael Turner

and for what i would believe a cheaper price tag:
Ryan Grant
La'Rod Stephen-Howlings
Kahlil Bell

For the record, I do not think we need to sign any of these players unless injury actually happens. But if i had to pick out of the oft-injuryed RBs on the market, these would be options I would be ok with.

Mother of god, if you seriously think any of those guys are better players than McGahee you need to go watch badminton or some **CENSORED** instead of football. McGahee might have had his two best seasons as a pro the past two years. Last season early in the year he was KILLING, I had him on my fantasy team. And he had 4 fumbles last year, lets not act like he's fumbling the ball every time he touches it. And in a backup role that number would be cut down even more. He's been a great leader, one of the hardest workers in the league and has never gotten in trouble his whole career. Like JDouble said, and something that has a logical chance of happening, if we're something like 10-4 and our team is on a roll towards the playoffs with Martin top 3 in the league in rushing and we have to turn to Michael Smith or Brian Leonard as our RB then we essentially just wasted a great season. Nobody is winning a Super Bowl with those guys as your RBs...but you definitely can with McGahee.

Your right, he had possibly his best two seasons the past two years. and he played in 25 out of 32 games and got cut for a rookie and second year player after these two incredible years. I am glad he was crushing it for your fantasy team. How did he help you down the stretch run? and 4 fumbles lost was tied for the most in the league. and he did it in ten games. so lets say the truth, he does give the football up more than any other running back in the league in 6 less games than most. And do you think he would be willing to be a number 2 back and take number 2 money? that is an honest question. And if we are 10 and 4 then I imagine Josh and the passing game are doing well even if Martin is number 3 in the league in rushing. And for two games if your asking me if i would rather have a healthy Turner or a healthy McGahee, you are damn right I would rather have Turner. You need to get off your fantasy kick and watch football. Not quite as exciting as refreshing your phone to see if your number 3 receiver got a reception for you in your PPR league, but at least you could be a  little more knowledgeable and pick better insults than "watch badminton"

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#58 : June 24, 2013, 06:29:11 PM

I still think this is a perfect fit for McGahee. I wonder if Dominik has buttered up his agent enough to get a look at him.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#59 : June 24, 2013, 07:28:38 PM

I still think this is a perfect fit for McGahee. I wonder if Dominik has buttered up his agent enough to get a look at him.

I would suspect Willis and/or his agent would race to the phone after the first ring, at this point in time.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Buccaneers Pursue Willis McGahee as Insurance for Doug Martin ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools