Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman ready to move onto another NFL team if his best effort isn't good enough « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: June 21, 2013, 12:00:35 AM

Freeman says he will be 'content' if he has to move on

Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:30pm

WILL VRAGOVIC | Times
Josh Freeman, 25, is in the final season of his five-year, $26-million contract he signed as a rookie in 2009.

Josh Freeman says is not focused on his tenuous contract situation and ready to move onto another NFL team if his best effort isn't good enough for the Buccaneers.

Freeman, 25, is in the final season of his five-year, $26-million contract he signed as a rookie in 2009. He is coming off a record-setting performance in 2012 in which he set franchise marks for most passing yards (4,065) and touchdowns (27) in a single season. But a promising 6-4 start was torpedoed by a mid-season collapse and five-game losing streak that resulted in a 7-9 record under first-year head coach Greg Schiano.

The Bucs drafted North Carolina State quarterback Mike Glennon in the third round in April and Schiano, who inherited Freeman, has said he not 'wedded,' to the fifth-year pro.

"I'm excited about getting this year going,'' Freeman said during an interview Thursday on 620 WDAE's Ron and Ian Show . "It has nothing to do with...a contract year, finding out, oh, is he signed for this? What happened? I know God has got a plan for me, it's all going to work out in the end. If I just give it the best I've got regardless...if I give it the best I've got and the Buccaneers say, "Ah, we don't think he can play for us,' at the end of the year and every other team in the NFL does and I end up wherever I end up doing whatever, I'll be content because I'll know I gave it the best I had.''

The Bucs have decided to wait until the end of 2013 to determine whether to offer Freeman a contract extension. He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next March, but the club could use their franchise tag on Freeman if they are unable to reach a long-term agreement.

Freeman said the uncertainty of his future with the Bucs is not been a distraction to his preparation.

"I get this question a lot and, yeah, I've got stuff weighing on my mind, but very little has to do with the contract year,'' Freeman said. "Yeah, it's a big year and professionally it's the biggest year I've had from that standpoint. But I'm telling you, when I play the best football, it's when I'm just relaxed and I'm being myself.

"My identity is set. I know who I am. Come hell or high water, trust me, dude, we're going to win some games this year. The Bucs are going to be a force. I'm pumped up about that.''

After starting games for 3-1/2 seasons, Freeman said his experience and work ethic has added to his confidence.

"I'm excited. There's no added pressure, no nervousness, no anxiety,'' Freeman said. "Man, I know who I am, my guys know who I am, we know what it's all about. I'm pumped up. There's no anxiety, it's all excitement.

"But I'm telling you man, it's good enough. More than good enough.''

Havok904

Pro Bowler

#1 : June 21, 2013, 12:31:13 AM

Signs a  deal with Denver, becomes a under-study for Manning for a year or two...

The Buc Town Klowns will find someone else to hate...

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#2 : June 21, 2013, 12:38:01 AM

Freeman says he will be 'content' if he has to move on

Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:30pm

WILL VRAGOVIC | Times
Josh Freeman, 25, is in the final season of his five-year, $26-million contract he signed as a rookie in 2009.

Josh Freeman says is not focused on his tenuous contract situation and ready to move onto another NFL team if his best effort isn't good enough for the Buccaneers.

Freeman, 25, is in the final season of his five-year, $26-million contract he signed as a rookie in 2009. He is coming off a record-setting performance in 2012 in which he set franchise marks for most passing yards (4,065) and touchdowns (27) in a single season. But a promising 6-4 start was torpedoed by a mid-season collapse and five-game losing streak that resulted in a 7-9 record under first-year head coach Greg Schiano.

The Bucs drafted North Carolina State quarterback Mike Glennon in the third round in April and Schiano, who inherited Freeman, has said he not 'wedded,' to the fifth-year pro.

"I'm excited about getting this year going,'' Freeman said during an interview Thursday on 620 WDAE's Ron and Ian Show . "It has nothing to do with...a contract year, finding out, oh, is he signed for this? What happened? I know God has got a plan for me, it's all going to work out in the end. If I just give it the best I've got regardless...if I give it the best I've got and the Buccaneers say, "Ah, we don't think he can play for us,' at the end of the year and every other team in the NFL does and I end up wherever I end up doing whatever, I'll be content because I'll know I gave it the best I had.''

The Bucs have decided to wait until the end of 2013 to determine whether to offer Freeman a contract extension. He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next March, but the club could use their franchise tag on Freeman if they are unable to reach a long-term agreement.

Freeman said the uncertainty of his future with the Bucs is not been a distraction to his preparation.

"I get this question a lot and, yeah, I've got stuff weighing on my mind, but very little has to do with the contract year,'' Freeman said. "Yeah, it's a big year and professionally it's the biggest year I've had from that standpoint. But I'm telling you, when I play the best football, it's when I'm just relaxed and I'm being myself.

"My identity is set. I know who I am. Come hell or high water, trust me, dude, we're going to win some games this year. The Bucs are going to be a force. I'm pumped up about that.''

After starting games for 3-1/2 seasons, Freeman said his experience and work ethic has added to his confidence.

"I'm excited. There's no added pressure, no nervousness, no anxiety,'' Freeman said. "Man, I know who I am, my guys know who I am, we know what it's all about. I'm pumped up. There's no anxiety, it's all excitement.

"But I'm telling you man, it's good enough. More than good enough.''

What a loser mentality.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 21, 2013, 12:50:29 AM

It's ok Josh, we don't want you here either.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 21, 2013, 01:19:01 AM

Sounds like he is hearing the criticism.   I don't know what else he could say though.  He is going to give it his best shot, if that is not good enough, fine.   C'est la vie.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

gone

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 21, 2013, 05:39:09 AM

I listened to that whole thing and I think the remarks are being blown way out of proportion.  I'm not one to try and reach to make excuses for Josh, but I found nothing really negative there.  Josh stumbled and bumbled through the whole thing and the comments that Stroud quotes, while accurate, give a very different impression that what you would get if you listened to the whole thing in context.  Josh was rambling the whole time, and gave a rambling answer to a direct question about the contract year.  His answer was, IMO, fair and more about affirming that he will be doing his best and whatever may come he won't have regrets that he lost his job because he wasn't giving enough.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#6 : June 21, 2013, 07:11:02 AM

I listened to that whole thing and I think the remarks are being blown way out of proportion.  I'm not one to try and reach to make excuses for Josh, but I found nothing really negative there.  Josh stumbled and bumbled through the whole thing and the comments that Stroud quotes, while accurate, give a very different impression that what you would get if you listened to the whole thing in context.  Josh was rambling the whole time, and gave a rambling answer to a direct question about the contract year.  His answer was, IMO, fair and more about affirming that he will be doing his best and whatever may come he won't have regrets that he lost his job because he wasn't giving enough.

That's how I read the actual quotes. The title is a but misleading.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 21, 2013, 07:21:08 AM

Who is skinnier , Josh or Mike ?  It's close.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 21, 2013, 07:32:22 AM

Who is skinnier , Josh or Mike ?  It's close.

It's still mike, but yea it's closer than it should be. Glennon has a giraffe neck though. He's so goofy looking.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#9 : June 21, 2013, 07:37:37 AM

he saw what his mentor Drew Brees did and probably thinks it can work for him as well.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#10 : June 21, 2013, 07:42:45 AM

And I bet the same people that are complaining over him saying he would be content if he had to move on would be the same people complaining if he said he wanted to be a Buc for life, because that somehow shows weakness or some other BS reason.   

Signed

Starter

#11 : June 21, 2013, 08:19:32 AM

The way I read the title was, "I have no choice but to accept whatever happens in my future, if Bucs trade me then I'll try my best in some other place."

No other way he could have answered a loaded question like that, Freeman can only play his best on field but ultimately it is up to the people that sit in the office if he remains on the team or not.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 21, 2013, 08:39:43 AM

I have mostly doubts, given what I saw, that Freeman is trustworthy.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#13 : June 21, 2013, 09:06:43 AM

Once again, stumbling and bumbling under pressure.
This time in the form of a simple question.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 21, 2013, 09:21:36 AM

Everything depends on expectations, whether its his answer, the question or the reaction to.

Quite curious what anyone actually expected Freeman to answer here.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman ready to move onto another NFL team if his best effort isn't good enough « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools