Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to ESPN Bucs aren't even an option to make the playoffs « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 12 13 14

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#195 : June 20, 2013, 11:06:25 AM

If the Bucs played NYG on a regular basis I think we'd have the makings for a very good rivalry.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064662/article/two-new-york-giants-fined-for-reaction-to-bucs-blitz

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#196 : June 20, 2013, 11:37:58 AM

If the Bucs played NYG on a regular basis I think we'd have the makings for a very good rivalry.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064662/article/two-new-york-giants-fined-for-reaction-to-bucs-blitz

hilarious

DejaVu

Starter

#197 : June 20, 2013, 11:50:34 AM

hilarious

That was a charity wrestling event in the offseason a couple of months ago.   Coughlin showed who was boss.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

jbear

Pro Bowler

#198 : June 20, 2013, 12:01:27 PM

"Imagine for a moment that people like me and jerseybucfan do actually exist and aren't a figment of your imagination.  Imagine we really do get UP for those division games.  Imagine people like us make up 20% of the fanbase.  (I would really wish it would be WAY more than that.) Imagine the kitties aints and goons can manage half the men we have. (a reasonable assessment) That amounts to a rivalry."

You seem to be under the impression that because you feel animosity towards another team, the Buccaneer's players must as well. It's nice that you identify with the team, but you're letting your heart overrule your head in your insistence that everyone else must feel the same way you do.

Personally, I've hated the Cowboys and the Raiders for decades, but I don't delude myself with hallucinations that this means the Bucs have a rivalry with them. You are assigning your own feelings to other parties, with no evidence to support doing so.

Ask a Redskins fan how they feel about Dallas, regardless of how bad they are.  No you misunderstand completely.  If you want to pretend the teams both being good is not important in intensifying those rivalries I think that's disingenuous. I've said all along, "We haven't been good" so it's no surprise many of you have trouble identifying the under the surface rivalry.  Players are competitive people which is why the excel at what they do.  Taking miz morgan's perspective that we're too lousy to have a rivalry because all we ever do is get beat you can easily see that competitive people don't like getting beat.  Animosity gets built up over time.

To take it even further, we were beginning to get the ATL rivalry to simmer again just a couple of seasons ago.  Smack was talked amongst the teams.  We had that Grimes int in a hard fought loss at home and the Big Victory the following season at home with the Faine/Free hard count getting them to jump to end the game.  We went on to suck it up that season and everyone forgets but it was a big game, with obvious animosity between the teams. 

Evidence you say... You say fandom has nothing to do with rivalry. I disagree.  Even if it's 100% about the players I think you're dead wrong. Ask a player about it I don't know what to tell you. They may give a PC answer but if somebody takes your lunch money for years and years, you may have a little axe to grind.

Worst of all you insinuate because of my tone and wording that I'm to dim to separate my emotions from reality.  I can appreciate reality and I can appreciate negative posters, but I'm addressing here with my tone and over the top berating of the miz morgan fan sterotype.  :-*  that people need to man up.  That we have underlying rivalries that have been real and can be again depending on us having a decent team.  Last of all I'm embarrassed by our fanbase and people in the miz morgan mold.  Fairweather, mamby pamby school girls.  Reality is we've sucked but don't try to pretend we don't have rivals to act smarter than others. If you want to talk about people projecting emotions lets talk about our unmanly fanbase projecting their own feelings of insecurity and not being good enough all over the place.  It's like a bunch of miz morgan's strutting around in heels or purple crocs or whatever.  I don't think what I'm trying to do here is unreasonable when the in vogue thing is to feign coolness by being a skeptic. 

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#199 : June 20, 2013, 01:01:00 PM

"Ask a Redskins fan how they feel about Dallas, regardless of how bad they are."

There's no point in it. The fans animosity doesn't constitute a rivalry among the players. Denver fans have always hated Oakland. But to the players, their rivalry is with Kansas City, whom they hate for specific reasons that the fan never sees.

"I'm addressing here with my tone and over the top berating of the miz morgan fan sterotype.  :-*  that people need to man up."

That's a rather strange notion of manning up. I feed my family and take care of my business. Insisting that a team I like must dislike the same things I do seems to me a bit thin to be basing manhood on.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#200 : June 20, 2013, 01:35:14 PM

There's no point in it. The fans animosity doesn't constitute a rivalry among the players. Denver fans have always hated Oakland. But to the players, their rivalry is with Kansas City, whom they hate for specific reasons that the fan never sees.

hence another reason why the rivalries end up being division opponents.  fans can hold onto old memories of favre and philly, but these guys are competing against NFCS half the year.  the Bucs hear all year long how they dont have a chance against brees and ryan. 

but maybe this would be a good question for PR and their connections.  or if DTG pops back in.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

jbear

Pro Bowler

#201 : June 20, 2013, 01:55:43 PM

"Ask a Redskins fan how they feel about Dallas, regardless of how bad they are."

"I'm addressing here with my tone and over the top berating of the miz morgan fan sterotype.  :-*  that people need to man up."

That's a rather strange notion of manning up. I feed my family and take care of my business. Insisting that a team I like must dislike the same things I do seems to me a bit thin to be basing manhood on.

I addressed my notion of the players rivalry amongst themselves which you ignored.  N.O. week 2 home opener isn't a big game because it's an opponent. It could be the 49ers or Ravens and wouldn't be as big a deal.  I don't believe its all business for the players either. I'm not saying its hatred like N.O. and ATL but do you deny that it doesn't have a lot to do with how good we are right now?  It's simmering just under the surface.

As for my idea of manning up... you strike me as one of those more interested in beating the traffic than supporting your team.  That's fine, you can be a part of the 80% who'd rather be objective in their fantasy league and has 2nd favorite team as a backup plan.  To each their own.  Its to be expected in a state with more transplants than actual natives but there is something to be said for the people who grew up with it before it ever got cool. They are few and far between in Places like Tampa because of the transient nature of the population and while Boston guy or Philly guy may understand where I'm coming from it's "stupidity" around here.  To me, ATL is a rival and I believe it is for the players too. It's magnified when we're good and diminished when we aren't but I think you're going to have a hard time finding a link to make the case you and morgan are going for. 

jbear

Pro Bowler

#202 : June 20, 2013, 02:08:45 PM

hence another reason why the rivalries end up being division opponents.  fans can hold onto old memories of favre and philly, but these guys are competing against NFCS half the year.  the Bucs hear all year long how they dont have a chance against brees and ryan. 

but maybe this would be a good question for PR and their connections.  or if DTG pops back in.

I can't think of better questions during the off season.  I'd love to hear anyone associated with the Bucs comment on how big a deal those division games are.  I wouldn't expect trash talk this time of year and considering our recent shortcomings on the field but I would expect to hear simply how big those games are.  I don't think anyone in the organization only thinks they're big because of simple math.  It's deeper than that for competitive people.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#203 : June 20, 2013, 05:54:23 PM

Moron

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#204 : June 20, 2013, 07:01:40 PM

From the Falcon Correspondent on Bleacher Report  last season ( not exactly a Buc homer , more like a Falcon homer ) :

The Atlanta Falcons (9-1) will face the resurgent Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6-4) on Sunday. This will be the 21st meeting between the two teams since the creation of the NFC South in 2002. While the New Orleans Saints may be Atlanta's bitter rival, Tampa Bay might be Atlanta's most brutal.

The first 10 years of the rivalry has been marked by aggressive play that lasts long after the whistle. During that time, the Buccaneers have accumulated 141 penalties for 1,208 yards. The Falcons have fared slightly better with 113 penalties for 966 yards. Of course, the majority of pushes, shoves and punches go unflagged.

2003 Sets Precedent

In 2003, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers set the tone for the years to follow. In the two games against Atlanta, Tampa Bay racked up 17 penalties including four face-masks, unnecessary roughness, roughing the kicker, and roughing the quarterback calls.

The Atlanta Falcons were not innocent victims. Atlanta Falcons LB Arte Ulmer was ejected during the second half of the two teams' second meeting for unnecessary roughness. This back and forth would continue no matter either teams' record.

Allen Rossum's Eyeball

In 2005, there was a controversial incident when visiting Tampa Bay swarmed Atlanta's kick returner Allen Rossum. Rossum emerged from the pile holding holding his eye. A melee ensued, and the Falcons were penalized.

Later in the game, Falcons' linebacker Demorio Williams exacted revenge by poking Tampa Bay RB Cadillac Williams in the eye.Two other Falcons would also be fined for offenses in that game.

Welcome To Hate Week

In 2008, Atlanta's rookie quarterback and rookie head coach got their first taste of the rivalry. Tampa Bay befuddled Matt Ryan and repeatedly knocked him around. Mike Smith got himself noticed when he had to explain to the referee that Tampa Bay committing two separate penalties did not mean that they were offsetting.

Smith's red-faced explanation was quite a spectacle from the then relatively unknown coach.

More To Come

The Falcons will be looking to right the ship after a lackluster win against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday. The Buccaneers will be trying to show the Falcons that there is still life in the NFC South. That alone would brew a storm of contempt.

But the Falcons will be bringing a sizable chip on their shoulder and are in search of respect. First-year coach Greg Schiano has the Buccaneers playing with a never-say-die attitude and a strong physical presence.

Given the sometimes-violent nature of this rivalry, the cannons at Raymond James Stadium might not be the only thing exploding when the teams meet on Sunday.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1417342-atlanta-falcons-vs-tampa-bay-buccaneers-a-history-of-violence

: June 20, 2013, 07:04:53 PM Fire Mark Dummynik

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#205 : June 20, 2013, 07:07:58 PM

Falcon fans do hate the Bucs. My former colleagues live there and they are scarred from Mike Alstott running the train through that building. And we destroyed Michael Vick every year, too.

It is undoubtedly a rivalry.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

jbear

Pro Bowler

#206 : June 21, 2013, 04:48:27 PM

Falcon fans do hate the Bucs. My former colleagues live there and they are scarred from Mike Alstott running the train through that building. And we destroyed Michael Vick every year, too.

It is undoubtedly a rivalry.

It's obvious to some of us. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#207 : June 21, 2013, 04:58:20 PM

back to the original idea of the thread, schlereth raved about the Bucs defense with the additions of revis/goldson.  talked about how much we could do with coverages and blitzes.  so even though he didnt mention us in the video on page 1, he certainly is intrigued by our team.  brian dawkins said he saw no reason why the Bucs D couldnt be top 10.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#208 : June 21, 2013, 10:33:13 PM

Brees mentored Freeman on how to play QB. What kind of rival does that?

One might consider the Steeler/Ravens rivalry to be one of the greatest in football yet that hasn't prevented Ryan Clark and T-Sizzle from working out together this off-season, sir!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 ... 12 13 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to ESPN Bucs aren't even an option to make the playoffs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools