Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Buccaneers" « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Signed

Starter

: June 22, 2013, 01:35:12 PM

Looking for a little history lesson here.

For those who were into the NFL during the time the Buccaneers were created:

1. What were the other top names being voted for?
2. What was atomsphere like surrounding the new team in the city? (i.e. was it a big deal at the time, or not much buzz surrounding them)
3. If you attended the first game, what was it like?

And for anyone:

What was it like going to games at the 'Big Sombrero'? How does it compare to Raymond James?

Edit: Random fact;  According to this article, the Raymond James has the highest rated turf in the NFL.
: June 22, 2013, 01:42:17 PM Signed

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 22, 2013, 02:01:07 PM

Watching football at the ol sombrero was like watching football in an aluminium can in 110 degree heat.
Watching football at Raymond James is like watching it in a glass bottle. A little more comfortable and stylish but still no escaping that heat.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 22, 2013, 05:45:04 PM

Truth^ ^ ^

Although that didn't answer any of his questions lol.

Hey hey Tampa Bay, the Bucs are hot, and ready to play.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 22, 2013, 06:02:13 PM

I was too young to remember the inaguration season for the Bucs but apparently the expectations were ridiculously high. Somethings never change in tampa...

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

blackfoot

Starter
#4 : June 22, 2013, 07:13:52 PM

The ramp to get to our seats in the 88th row was never ending. When we got there the seat were hell: hot and hard. The players looked like ants, but 79 was a lot of fun.

#5 : June 22, 2013, 07:57:01 PM

Felt like a UT game but Freddie Solomon wasn't playing. Miss that guy.

m_j

Starter

#6 : June 23, 2013, 06:42:56 PM

old sobrero was much more fun than ray jay, at least for me. I really loved going there, it was hot and dusty and it was somehow passion. going to ray jay felt quite different from early on. watching glazers' bucs in a brand new stadium just could not mach what we've had before. those two stadiums somehow mark two different eras of the team. build nearly at the same spot, but with pretty much opposite flair! at least we started winning and some of us started to believe we can go all the way!

about the name selection, since I heard about us getting the team it was always buccanneers. it was selected pretty early, long time before 76 season and I really can't remember  any alternatives or any voting at all. at least there was no public selection. don't forget, those were times long before internet! if you google you'll find out there was name-the-team contest, but I really can't remember anything about it.

Expectations were from none to superbowl in five years, but those were grounded pretty fast. still it was really cool. I moved abroad 2005 and I never missed ray jay the way I miss sombrero all the time
: June 23, 2013, 06:45:58 PM m_j

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 23, 2013, 10:50:22 PM

In regards to your question about the names being considered, ""Buccaneers" was always the leading contender.  I remember the "Freighters" being tossed around a bit, and a few unremarkable others.  I believe the original color scheme was supposed to be green and white, but was nixed because it was too similar to the Dolphins- if anyone can confirm this please do.  Also, Culverhouse was not supposed to be our original owner. Tim McClosky (?)  was first awarded the team but that fell through.  The Bucs also started off in the AFC West in thier first year.

Yes, there was a lot of Buzz and excitment about the team. 

As far as Tampa Stadium, I loved it.  It originally had no endzone seating, and was just two free standing grandstands on the sidelines.  Yes, it was very hot, and yes the aluminum benches were hard and backless (for most of its history), but I loved it.  The field had pretty good slope from the middle of the field to allow rain to drain and was very noticible when you stood on the turf.  The field was always in great shape, and was consistently ranked at the top of the league by the players.  It was spartan in nature and represented a period long passed.  As much as I loved that stadium though, when I toured it before the demolition/auction, I was amazed at how dated it was in the locker rooms.  When that stadium was rocking though and the wave got going, it sure looked awesome.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#8 : June 24, 2013, 08:24:30 AM

I'm not sure if you can access it online but at One Buc Place they have all of the alternative helmet, color, design and uniform schemes.  Some of them are actually quite a bit different than what we use today. 

m_j

Starter

#9 : June 24, 2013, 09:08:44 AM

I always thought reading this one was fun. I just found it as googlebook online and biger part of it is free. Interesting reading for some new kids around:
http://books.google.com/books/about/Hugh_Culverhouse_and_the_Tampa_Bay_Bucca.html?id=jvEq2yqiciAC&redir_esc=y

: June 24, 2013, 09:12:41 AM m_j

cajunbuc79

Practice Squad

#10 : June 24, 2013, 03:50:24 PM

I just finished reading the Culverhouse book. Good read, but not too much new info. Sheds more light on the Parcells "jilting at the altar." Worth the read though.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 24, 2013, 05:37:03 PM

Old Tampa Stadium had the most awesome waves , because it was solid stands top to bottom , and was kind of shaped like a wave along the top. When that wave was rolling it was a sight to see.

It would fill with northeastern teams' fans like crazy though - like twice as bad as it does today. I remember a Green Bay when there was literally more Packer fans than Buc fans in the stands.

Seats were uncomfortable , but everyone carried their own seat cushions  , so it wasn't a big deal.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 24, 2013, 05:44:19 PM

Uncomfortable and tiny. There was a little tiny area marked out as your seat and your knees were hitting the bench in front of you. If your seat wasn't in the aisle, it was hard as hell to get out.

Had a lot of good times there, though.

bucs63

Starter

#13 : June 24, 2013, 06:40:26 PM

The old stadium was awesome when they sold the big milk carton size beers I think were called pitchers.

m_j

Starter

#14 : July 07, 2013, 05:33:12 PM

may be the wrong thread, but earlier today I was sorting out some old stuff, old clothes etc..... found one Bandits T-shirts there  :o ... can't remember how I got it  8)
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Buccaneers" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools