Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every now and then, the League gets something right!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Hate

Hall of Famer
« : June 22, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »

NFL will present Deacon Jones Award to sacks leader

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 22, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT

The man who created the sack will be remembered with an award in his name to the NFL’s sack leader.

Deacon Jones, the Hall of Fame defensive end who’s credited with coining the term “sack” to mean tackling a passer behind the line of scrimmage, will be honored by the league by the creation of the Deacon Jones Award, which will go to the player who leads the league in sacks each year.

Although Jones played before sacks were an official statistic, historians say he would own or be near the records for most sacks in a season and most sacks in a career. Jones was not only one of the best pass rushers in the history of the sport but also the man who started referring to tackling the quarterback as “sacking” him, saying that he liked using the term that’s often used to describe the pillaging of a conquered city.

Jones, who played 17 seasons and was a member of the NFL’s All-Time Team, died on June 3 at the age of 74.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/22/nfl-will-present-deacon-jones-award-to-sacks-leader/

Here's to Bowers being its inaugural recipient!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

RaHonde Barber

Rookie

« #1 : June 22, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »

Can't the NFL go back through the tapes and figure out how many sacks he actually had? I'd be interested to find out...

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #2 : June 22, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »

Can't the NFL go back through the tapes and figure out how many sacks he actually had? I'd be interested to find out...

I once saw an interview where he said he went to NFL films and reviewed every one of his games...and though i've never heard an actual total, he did say he had 26 sacks in 1967.....in 14 games.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 22, 2013, 10:07:38 PM »

I think Bowers has a good season. But there is stiff competition.   JJ Watt, Miller, Adkins.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : June 22, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »

With the way they use him, I'd have to say JJ Watt will be winning that award sooner or later.

Bowers on the other hand might never even be as good as Bennett was, so let's not even go there just yet.

Clayborn has a better chance imvho.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

amossygem

Practice Squad

« #5 : June 22, 2013, 10:26:45 PM »

Well, I like dreaming too. But on the off chance he has that type of season, I like to dream big and book tickets for the big game. Go bucs!

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #6 : June 23, 2013, 12:01:19 AM »

Just read Sapp's book (I know, I'm way late on that one), but he said he sat down with Deac and was told that he called it a sack because he wanted to put the qb in a sack and beat it with a bat.
Maybe Deac had many visions regarding calling it that.

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #7 : June 23, 2013, 12:47:17 AM »

Just read Sapp's book (I know, I'm way late on that one), but he said he sat down with Deac and was told that he called it a sack because he wanted to put the qb in a sack and beat it with a bat.

I'm all for a DT coming into Tampa with the mindset that he wants to spit on Favre (any divisional QB will do) after nearly breaking his back.

Hell, if Clayborn at some point feels the need to put Ryan in a sack and beat him like a red-headed step child, far be it from me to have a problem with it.

McCoy would play ten times better if he went in with that mindset imvho. Not "eat your babies" crazy mind you, but something at least manufactured or semi serious would be nice. The guy kinda just loves everyone, which IS a great trait, but being nice hardly ever wins you the big game. It's a dog eat dog world, and although McCoy is a good DT, he could be better.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #8 : June 23, 2013, 02:49:56 AM »

The same reason the fans thought Sapp was an ass was the same reason he was the QBKilla.
Hoping with McCoy we can have a nice guy who can be insane for 60 plays a game.

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #9 : June 23, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »

Probably the nastiest player ever was **CENSORED** Butkus, but he was just the opposite off the field; seemed to love the kids...

Too bad the NFL didn't do this until Deacon was gone from this world. Let's hope it was in the works and he knew about it. Deacon was a proud man...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 23, 2013, 09:06:05 AM »

i think too much is made of mccoys mindset.  its all assumptions due to his personable nature off the field.  i mean, could reggie white have been 10x better?  do we think that mccoy would try harder if he snarled?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #11 : June 23, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »

i think too much is made of mccoys mindset.  its all assumptions due to his personable nature off the field.  i mean, could reggie white have been 10x better?  do we think that mccoy would try harder if he snarled?

I tend to liken McCoy's attitude to that of Lee Roy Selmon. Nicest guy off the field, but all business on the field. I hear that McCoy plays the same way.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #12 : June 23, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »

I once saw an interview where he said he went to NFL films and reviewed every one of his games...and though i've never heard an actual total, he did say he had 26 sacks in 1967.....in 14 games.

My second favorite player of all time. Jim Brown is number one. Both men were just that.....men. Talked it and walked it. Hard nosed and punishing on the field but gentlemen off. DEacon, to me , was the ultimate trash talker. I could just listen to him for hours. What a loss. What a great honor for anyone to receive this prestigious award.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : June 23, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »

Lol, I think it actually come from a comment made by the coach about putting the QB, whose name was Morton, like the salt, in a sack. That said, Deacon's story is not hard to believe.  I agree with the OP good move by the NFL

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #14 : June 23, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »

The trophy should be a hand slapping a helmet... no?

Dominik specialized in acquiring talented players who were bad fits for his coaches. - FootballOutsiders
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every now and then, the League gets something right!!! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools