Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS COULD HAVE 20 UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS IN 2014 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 24, 2013, 08:02:02 AM

Save the franchise tag for Myron Lewis .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 24, 2013, 08:39:32 AM

Here's the thing though, I've read that we have 118m already committed to the 2014 season without those 20 players. It's a pretty sure bet that Dom is figuring on carrying over some 15-16m of this years cap to pay for those players, but Williams is going to cost $6-7m of that money and Freeman is going to be another 10-12m if we sign him so that pretty much puts us up against the cap next season with only those 2 players, so how does he expect to pay for the other 18 players or their replacements next season?

It will be interesting to see how Dom manages the cap going in to the next few years. I know he has plenty of deals that he CAN restructure and create cap room, but in the past he has avoided signing bonuses and long term debt. But I don't see how he can avoid it going into next season unless the plan is to let Freeman walk and go with the cheaper Glennon next season and even that is only a temporary solution. At some point, the rookie contracts expire and we need to retain the players, so it seems to me that long term debt is inevitable.

Freeman is a 9.7 mil hit right now and if he has a good season and is resigned then the figure wont change much in 2014. McCoy is 10.9 mil, we will most likely restructure him shortly. The punter will probably be a casualty

youngone

Hall of Famer
#17 : June 24, 2013, 08:52:30 AM

They better bring back my boy Lorig

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 24, 2013, 08:58:35 AM

Here's the thing though, I've read that we have 118m already committed to the 2014 season without those 20 players. It's a pretty sure bet that Dom is figuring on carrying over some 15-16m of this years cap to pay for those players, but Williams is going to cost $6-7m of that money and Freeman is going to be another 10-12m if we sign him so that pretty much puts us up against the cap next season with only those 2 players, so how does he expect to pay for the other 18 players or their replacements next season?

It will be interesting to see how Dom manages the cap going in to the next few years. I know he has plenty of deals that he CAN restructure and create cap room, but in the past he has avoided signing bonuses and long term debt. But I don't see how he can avoid it going into next season unless the plan is to let Freeman walk and go with the cheaper Glennon next season and even that is only a temporary solution. At some point, the rookie contracts expire and we need to retain the players, so it seems to me that long term debt is inevitable.

Freeman is a 9.7 mil hit right now and if he has a good season and is resigned then the figure wont change much in 2014. McCoy is 10.9 mil, we will most likely restructure him shortly. The punter will probably be a casualty

Freeman will either get $15M, franchise tag money (I don't really know what that number is), or $0 next season from the Bucs.  The idea that he gets $10-12M to me, is delusional.  "Franchise QB's" don't make that little in this era.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#19 : June 24, 2013, 09:06:58 AM

TB, I just threw 10-12m off the top of my head to show how the figure was going to impact next years cap. I agree, that the number is probably going to be much higher than that figure if Freeman has a good season and we elect to re-sign him.

The point I was making is that starting with next season, we are going to have cap considerations because of the contracts that have already been signed. I'm sure that Dom has a plan for the next few seasons, I'm just curious about how he now starts to structure contracts. It doesn't appear to me that his present way of structuring contracts with no signing bonus and no future cap hits is sustainable over the next few years.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 24, 2013, 09:18:36 AM

TB, I just threw 10-12m off the top of my head to show how the figure was going to impact next years cap. I agree, that the number is probably going to be much higher than that figure if Freeman has a good season and we elect to re-sign him.

The point I was making is that starting with next season, we are going to have cap considerations because of the contracts that have already been signed. I'm sure that Dom has a plan for the next few seasons, I'm just curious about how he now starts to structure contracts. It doesn't appear to me that his present way of structuring contracts with no signing bonus and no future cap hits is sustainable over the next few years.

Fair enough.  I think there's a chance it's that low... next year, but I'm skeptical.  I think it will depend on the up front cash.  If Dom works out a deal where he gets like a 7 yr/$120M deal with $15M up front, it's possible that he'd take something as low as a $6-8M base salary next year.  I will say though, I will be concerned if Freeman does get that kind of deal.  I like to see players perform twice (in a row), before I'm a real believer.  His numbers in 2010 were good, not great though... against a soft schedule.  He's been mediocre twice since.  If he has a great year in his contract year, I'd be concerned.  If he does, I'd franchise him to see if he can do it again in 2014.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 24, 2013, 09:36:08 AM

...His numbers in 2010 were good, not great though... against a soft schedule. ...

I mean i get how we relativize the wins of 2010, since we played bad teams plagued by even worse QBs, but the defenses he faced were not 'soft' at all.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 24, 2013, 11:13:52 AM

...His numbers in 2010 were good, not great though... against a soft schedule. ...

I mean i get how we relativize the wins of 2010, since we played bad teams plagued by even worse QBs, but the defenses he faced were not 'soft' at all.

Their wins...
Game 1 vs Cleveland (ranked 18th against the pass)
Game 2 vs Carolina (11th)
Game 5 vs Cincinnati (14th)
Game 7 vs St. Louis (19th)
Game 8 vs Arizona (23rd)
Game 9 vs Carolina (11th)
Game 10 vs San Fran (24th)
Game 14 vs Washington (31st)
Game 16 vs Seattle (27th)
Game 17 vs New Orleans (4th)

Their losses...
Game 3 vs Pittsburgh (12th)
Game 6 vs New Orleans (4th)
Game 9 vs Atlanta (22nd)
Game 12 vs Baltimore (21st)
Game 13 vs Atlanta (22nd)
Game 15 vs Detroit (16th)

It's not a perfect depiction, but if you take the average passing yards per game of their opponents, you'd get just over 3,550... that would rank right between 18th and 19th in the league.  They played a total of 6 games against teams who rank in the top 15... only 2 in the top 10 (the Saints).  Two-thirds of their schedule was against mediocre to poor passing defenses.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 24, 2013, 11:51:59 AM

Their wins...
Game 1 vs Cleveland (ranked 18th against the pass)
Game 2 vs Carolina (11th)
Game 5 vs Cincinnati (14th)
Game 7 vs St. Louis (19th)
Game 8 vs Arizona (23rd)
Game 9 vs Carolina (11th)
Game 10 vs San Fran (24th)
Game 14 vs Washington (31st)
Game 16 vs Seattle (27th)
Game 17 vs New Orleans (4th)

Their losses...
Game 3 vs Pittsburgh (12th)
Game 6 vs New Orleans (4th)
Game 9 vs Atlanta (22nd)
Game 12 vs Baltimore (21st)
Game 13 vs Atlanta (22nd)
Game 15 vs Detroit (16th)

It's not a perfect depiction, but if you take the average passing yards per game of their opponents, you'd get just over 3,550... that would rank right between 18th and 19th in the league.  They played a total of 6 games against teams who rank in the top 15... only 2 in the top 10 (the Saints).  Two-thirds of their schedule was against mediocre to poor passing defenses.

Wasnt 'yards' a bad example how to meassure the effectiveness of a single unit of a TEAM?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 24, 2013, 12:09:31 PM

QB Josh Freeman
QB Dan Orlovsky
WR Mike Williams
WR Tiquan Underwood
FB Erik Lorig
RB Brian Leonard
TE  Zach Miller
C Ted Larsen
C Cody Wallace
OL Jamon Meredith
DT Gary Gibson
DE Daniel Teo-Nesheim
LB Dekoda Watson
LB Jonathan Casillas
LB Adam Hayward
LB Jacob Cutrera
CB Eric Wright
CB Danny Gorrer
CB Myron Lewis
S Cody Grimm

Everybody else is replaceable.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 24, 2013, 12:11:17 PM

QB Josh Freeman
QB Dan Orlovsky
WR Mike Williams
WR Tiquan Underwood
FB Erik Lorig
RB Brian Leonard
TE  Zach Miller
C Ted Larsen
C Cody Wallace
OL Jamon Meredith
DT Gary Gibson
DE Daniel Teo-Nesheim
LB Dekoda Watson
LB Jonathan Casillas
LB Adam Hayward
LB Jacob Cutrera
CB Eric Wright
CB Danny Gorrer
CB Myron Lewis
S Cody Grimm

And Lorig.. And Brian Leonard
: June 24, 2013, 12:16:40 PM youngone

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 24, 2013, 10:16:33 PM

QB Josh Freeman
QB Dan Orlovsky
WR Mike Williams
WR Tiquan Underwood
FB Erik Lorig
RB Brian Leonard
TE  Zach Miller
C Ted Larsen
C Cody Wallace
OL Jamon Meredith
DT Gary Gibson
DE Daniel Teo-Nesheim
LB Dekoda Watson
LB Jonathan Casillas
LB Adam Hayward
LB Jacob Cutrera
CB Eric Wright
CB Danny Gorrer
CB Myron Lewis
S Cody Grimm

youngone

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 24, 2013, 10:49:52 PM

QB Josh Freeman
QB Dan Orlovsky
WR Mike Williams
WR Tiquan Underwood
FB Erik Lorig
RB Brian Leonard
TE  Zach Miller
C Ted Larsen
C Cody Wallace
OL Jamon Meredith
DT Gary Gibson
DE Daniel Teo-Nesheim
LB Dekoda Watson
LB Jonathan Casillas
LB Adam Hayward
LB Jacob Cutrera
CB Eric Wright
CB Danny Gorrer
CB Myron Lewis
S Cody Grimm

Every winning team needs a couple of bad ass white boys. Lol

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 25, 2013, 07:42:04 AM

Brian Leonard is our Rudy.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 25, 2013, 07:46:40 AM

^ Exactly
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS COULD HAVE 20 UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS IN 2014 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools