Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should The National Football League Be Expanded? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: June 25, 2013, 12:04:12 AM

NFL: Should The National Football League Be Expanded?

By Anoop Kathrani

I think there's a higher demand for professional football and it's about time we start entertaining the proposals. What's been going on with football in Los Angeles? There's always rumors but I won't stop questioning it until I find out the team names (it's a pretty fair way to be certain that the teams are real). The last rumor I heard was that there was going to be two expansion teams in Southern California. I'm fairly certain that their economy can support the team, and they sure do have the space to build stadiums.

The argument I hear a lot (and agree with the most) is that the NFL has an even amount of 32 teams and an extra team or two would disrupt the conferences. 32 teams are split into 2 leagues consisting of 16 teams. Of those 16 teams, they are divided into 4 divisions of 4 teams each. 8 divisions of 4 teams makes the current NFL playoff system run well. Instead of focusing on the negatives, let's focus on what resources we have to expand the league.

Willing & Able Cities

The first thing you would need for a new NFL team is a location for their stadium. I strongly believe that Los Angeles can support two NFL teams (they already support two teams in other major sports). We could look at Toronto and Montreal, two cities that already host Canadian Football teams.

Toronto's team was founded in 1873 (not a typo) and Montreal's was founded in 1946. Mind you, these clubs did start off as traditional rugby squads but have evolved into the CFL we have grown to make fun of. All jokes aside, Toronto has proven it can support multiple American-based sports teams and Montreal is definitely upscale enough where selling tickets shouldn't be an issue. Sure they failed with the Expos, but if the Expos were in your city, would you watch them? The stadium was ugly and the team managed to make the Mets look good every season.

There's also another country that can support one or two more NFL teams, and the natives call it Texas. Texas is a state with a HUGE football market with an absolute love and appreciation of the sport. They're so obsessed with the sport that they cover High School football with more indepth analysis then some states do with their state schools. San Antonio and Austin are two prime and up-and-coming cities that can strongly support professional squads.

If Green Bay can support a team, why can't we find a way to give one to the football lovers in Alabama or Orlando? If you're keeping count at home, I just expanded the NFL by 1 team per division.

Demand From Fans

Besides the out-cry to have teams in their cities, fans also support a 24/7 news coverage of everything NFL. The Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event in the world and the NFL rakes in millions of dollars within a few short months of football. For god sakes, people watch the NFL Combine, which is literally like watching other guys workout.

We are obsessed with the sport and it must grow to absorb more of the attention we want to give it. Watching my team play 16 times a year, if they don't make the playoffs, isn't enough. The NFL has also tried expanding the days on which football is played.

It used to strictly be a Sunday sport until we gave Monday night a try. Then there were all the games, except one, on Sundays and the remaining match-up on Monday. Also, don't forget how Thursday night football only existed starting thanksgiving every year. Now we start it from day one. Last season we started the first game on a Wednesday and that was a success!

Let's try getting more teams on more days of the week. I would love to watch Los Angeles face off against Montreal on Tuesday Night Football and watch the fierce I-35 rivalry between San Antonio and Austin on Wednesday night.

Talent

Two seasons ago we had a miracle quarterback that brought his losing team to the playoffs after taking control half way through the season. He was the talk of the nation and NFL fans loved him. Today, he is unemployed after warming the bench at Met Life Stadium.

Tim Tebow is a first round pick who sat out his first one and a half seasons, only to bring his failing team inches away from the Super Bowl. Why is it that a player who was able to accomplish all of this can't get a starting job? You'd have to look at the arithmetic to figure that out.

There are 124 NCAA Division I football teams and 60-70 maximum players per team (depending on their conference rules). Every season, 32 NFL teams select seven players to be a part of their squad. That's about 224 players who are selected to be apart of the the NFL (if they don't get cut before the season starts).

Yes, there are also undrafted free agents who make it big and second round picks who never have a stable career. The argument is that we 124 NCAA teams have 124 NCAA-caliber quarterbacks. These quality players may be eligible for the draft but successful, healthy NFL quarterbacks have long careers and take up the only starting roster spot for that position on their team. Let's say you're a prospect quarterback in next season's draft, do you think you have much of a chance when most teams seem to have their starting quarterback set?

A quarterback knows he won't start for the AFC North, the AFC East, NFC South, NFC East, or NFC West. Teams who aren't in those divisions also have set quarterbacks (or like to believe they do), like the Jaguars, Colts, Texans, and the others. The point is, there's going to be new quarterbacks every season who have superstar ability but no channel to showcase their talent.

This issue applies for players of all positions, not just the quarterbacks. A bigger league will expose us to more players that we can grow to love, hate, boo, cheer, and debate over. This will give us the chance to be exposed to more Tom Brady like players, those who weren't given high expectations but shined after a chance in the big leagues. 

Right now, Tim Tebow is available to start for another expansion team and could probably do well like he did for the Broncos and Florida Gators. Ryan Nassib and Matt Barkley are also two quarterbacks who should have first round talent but are currently the third-string quarterbacks for their respective NFC East teams. 

So let's get more players to play more football on more days in more cities so the NFL can make more money.

http://www.footballnation.com/

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 25, 2013, 12:16:49 AM

Tebow brought the Broncos within inches of the Super Bowl? The Patriots destroyed the Broncos in that game. Timmy was exposed and taken advantage of.

The NFL is fine the way it is. Expansion is a terrible idea.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 25, 2013, 02:00:49 AM

Within the NATIONAL football league, sure.

Out of country, hell no.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 25, 2013, 02:12:16 AM

Hell no.  Just look at the NBA for example. Its so watered down,  its damn near unwatchable.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

CTGuyton

Second String

#4 : June 25, 2013, 03:07:45 AM

NBA is a horrible example. Basketball is a superstar sport. You're either a star, or your team sucks. the NFL has 22 starters on every team. The Brady's and APs of the league can't do it alone. NFL and football in general, is much more able to handle a larger dispersion of talent.

The issue you have comes with the fans. Tampa has been around since '76 but still has a very soft fan base. Mississippi State by comparison has NEVER had success. Their baseball team is playing in the College World Series currently looking for the school's first national title in any sport. But they have one of the best fan bases. They travel better than the Steelers.  Expansion teams would have to have extraordinary marketing departments to build a solid fan base. And miraculous success right off the bat wouldn't hurt 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 25, 2013, 07:48:54 AM

There are a lot of good football players who cant get jobs , and a lot of promising young players who can never get a chance to play and develop because there is no minor league football , so I say why not ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

bucs63

Starter
#6 : June 25, 2013, 08:34:02 AM

Expansion of say, 2 teams, within the US in major markets where football traditions thrive may not be unreasonable.

Expansion outside the US where it's called American Football is heresy.

There's already a minor league called the CFL and the last attempt at selling American Football to Europe lasted 16 years. Born as the WLAF it became NFL Europe, and finally NFL Europa. It was always unstable and eventually all but one team ended up based soley in Germany when Goodell shut it down saying it was time to develop a new international strategy. Admittedly a failure.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 25, 2013, 08:50:39 AM

CFL is not really a minor league.   The game is played different up there. 

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 25, 2013, 09:39:19 AM

Next expansion will be to 36 teams, three divisions of six teams each in both conferences. So. Cal will get at least one team, Canada will have a team that sucks every year, and the Mexico Aztecs will instantly become the team with the largest fan base. Support for the Cowboys will plummet.

bucs63

Starter
#9 : June 25, 2013, 10:25:30 AM

CFL is not really a minor league.   The game is played different up there.
True, it's a passing game played on a soccer field, and a good game to watch. But in the sense that players that do not find a place in the NFL have an opportunity to develop their skills and move "up" later it's been somewhat of a de facto minor league.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#10 : June 25, 2013, 10:41:34 AM

The article mentions football lovers in Alabama.  The problem is it's not NFL football they love there.  Then he goes on to mention Orlando.  There are three teams in Fl now that can't fill a stadium now.  Southern Cal has the same problem as Tampa to many other things to do.  Texas may work they sure love football there.  I see no need to expand it may be better to try and grow what exists.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 25, 2013, 10:48:15 AM

No way the Glazers would allow the NFL to put a team in Orlando. That cuts into their market. They would throw a fit in owners meetings.

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 25, 2013, 10:54:27 AM

The article mentions football lovers in Alabama.  The problem is it's not NFL football they love there.  Then he goes on to mention Orlando.  There are three teams in Fl now that can't fill a stadium now.  Southern Cal has the same problem as Tampa to many other things to do.  Texas may work they sure love football there.  I see no need to expand it may be better to try and grow what exists.

I've lived in Alabama my entire life. Theres a sliver of support for the Titans, maybe three guys per wal mart visit lol. Give us a pro football team. Seeing Auburn and Bama fans on the same page, cheering in the same stadium would be amazing and unreal. Just don't put the team in Birmingham or Montgomery. Maybe somewhere cleaner like Huntsville or Florence or Montevallo. MAYBE Hoover.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

jcaulfield8

Second String

#13 : June 25, 2013, 11:21:39 AM

The Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event in the world and the NFL rakes in millions of dollars within a few short months of football.

yeah this is great reporting, very factual
2012 superbowl- most watched super  bowl ever with 111.5 million viewers
2012 world cup final had 700 million viewers

this guy is clueless

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 25, 2013, 11:24:43 AM

World Cup isn't a singular event. I'm betting that number is combined viewers of all the games.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should The National Football League Be Expanded? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools