Boards > Pirate's Cove

SCOTUS Strikes DOMA

(1/4) > >>

VinBucFan:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/26/politics/scotus-same-sex-main/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

now its the Conservatives' turn

jbear:
It's not really a "conservative" issue.  Its a Christian right issue.   Why Americans think we need the federal government to manage a social issue like two people getting married I'll never understand.

VinBucFan:

--- Quote from: jbear on June 26, 2013, 02:06:23 PM ---It's not really a "conservative" issue.  Its a Christian right issue.   Why Americans think we need the federal government to manage a social issue like two people getting married I'll never understand.

--- End quote ---

that probably better, your're right, thanks

jbear:
I'm splitting hairs anyway.  You could call it "Christian conservatives".  I just consider myself a fiscal conservative but shy away from that moniker because "conservative" has become an ugly word thanks to certain fanatical right wing elements.  (I mean the bible thumpers) not fanatical anti tax or limited government freaks.  I like those guys.  ;)

dbucfan:

--- Quote from: Morgan on June 26, 2013, 03:31:32 PM ---Now Bugsy and Olaf can finally announce their wedding date.

--- End quote ---
Just memorializing a point in time

jbear:
On a side note, I wonder if any same sex couples will be less happy when they realize some of the benefits aren't what they're cracked up to be.  For example, two high wage earners can pay significantly more in federal taxes (together) than they would if they could still file as a single person.  They now won't have an option as they will be treated as other traditionally married couples who do not have a choice in the matter.  If married in Massachusetts and living in Florida, same sex couples now have to file as Married or Married filing separately, effectively lumping income to be taxed at higher rates.  Some couples may be surprised to find out how much it may cost them.

VinBucFan:

--- Quote from: jbear on June 26, 2013, 02:38:20 PM ---I'm splitting hairs anyway.  You could call it "Christian conservatives".  I just consider myself a fiscal conservative but shy away from that moniker because "conservative" has become an ugly word thanks to certain fanatical right wing elements.  (I mean the bible thumpers) not fanatical anti tax or limited government freaks.  I like those guys.  ;)

--- End quote ---

I am a fiscal conservative, so I get your point

VinBucFan:

--- Quote from: dbucfan on June 26, 2013, 03:39:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Morgan on June 26, 2013, 03:31:32 PM ---Now Bugsy and Olaf can finally announce their wedding date.

--- End quote ---
Just memorializing a point in time

--- End quote ---

I dont get the whole Morgan delete thing, but nice catch

VinBucFan:

--- Quote from: jbear on June 26, 2013, 04:34:37 PM ---On a side note, I wonder if any same sex couples will be less happy when they realize some of the benefits aren't what they're cracked up to be.  For example, two high wage earners can pay significantly more in federal taxes (together) than they would if they could still file as a single person.  They now won't have an option as they will be treated as other traditionally married couples who do not have a choice in the matter.  If married in Massachusetts and living in Florida, same sex couples now have to file as Married or Married filing separately, effectively lumping income to be taxed at higher rates.  Some couples may be surprised to find out how much it may cost them.
--- End quote ---

true

The Anomaly:
I have pretty much voted more fiscally as I made more money.  One can only imagine what this does to hard core repub's.  Conservatism is a dying breed and holding onto archaic issues will lose them any election going forward.  Once in the majority...people care about this stuff less and less while you read about these republicans holding onto the issue.  Like it matters to mainstream America.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version