Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SCOTUS Strikes DOMA « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
: June 26, 2013, 01:26:42 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/26/politics/scotus-same-sex-main/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

now its the Conservatives' turn

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

jbear

Pro Bowler

#1 : June 26, 2013, 02:06:23 PM

It's not really a "conservative" issue.  Its a Christian right issue.   Why Americans think we need the federal government to manage a social issue like two people getting married I'll never understand.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#2 : June 26, 2013, 02:24:01 PM

It's not really a "conservative" issue.  Its a Christian right issue.   Why Americans think we need the federal government to manage a social issue like two people getting married I'll never understand.

that probably better, your're right, thanks

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

jbear

Pro Bowler

#3 : June 26, 2013, 02:38:20 PM

I'm splitting hairs anyway.  You could call it "Christian conservatives".  I just consider myself a fiscal conservative but shy away from that moniker because "conservative" has become an ugly word thanks to certain fanatical right wing elements.  (I mean the bible thumpers) not fanatical anti tax or limited government freaks.  I like those guys.  ;)
: June 26, 2013, 02:40:24 PM jbear

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 26, 2013, 03:39:55 PM

Now Bugsy and Olaf can finally announce their wedding date.
Just memorializing a point in time

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

jbear

Pro Bowler

#5 : June 26, 2013, 04:34:37 PM

On a side note, I wonder if any same sex couples will be less happy when they realize some of the benefits aren't what they're cracked up to be.  For example, two high wage earners can pay significantly more in federal taxes (together) than they would if they could still file as a single person.  They now won't have an option as they will be treated as other traditionally married couples who do not have a choice in the matter.  If married in Massachusetts and living in Florida, same sex couples now have to file as Married or Married filing separately, effectively lumping income to be taxed at higher rates.  Some couples may be surprised to find out how much it may cost them.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#6 : June 26, 2013, 05:04:45 PM

I'm splitting hairs anyway.  You could call it "Christian conservatives".  I just consider myself a fiscal conservative but shy away from that moniker because "conservative" has become an ugly word thanks to certain fanatical right wing elements.  (I mean the bible thumpers) not fanatical anti tax or limited government freaks.  I like those guys.  ;)

I am a fiscal conservative, so I get your point

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 26, 2013, 05:05:41 PM

I dont get the whole Morgan delete thing, but nice catch

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 26, 2013, 05:06:11 PM

On a side note, I wonder if any same sex couples will be less happy when they realize some of the benefits aren't what they're cracked up to be.  For example, two high wage earners can pay significantly more in federal taxes (together) than they would if they could still file as a single person.  They now won't have an option as they will be treated as other traditionally married couples who do not have a choice in the matter.  If married in Massachusetts and living in Florida, same sex couples now have to file as Married or Married filing separately, effectively lumping income to be taxed at higher rates.  Some couples may be surprised to find out how much it may cost them.

true

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 26, 2013, 08:36:45 PM

I have pretty much voted more fiscally as I made more money.  One can only imagine what this does to hard core repub's.  Conservatism is a dying breed and holding onto archaic issues will lose them any election going forward.  Once in the majority...people care about this stuff less and less while you read about these republicans holding onto the issue.  Like it matters to mainstream America.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 27, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Great day and great step forward for those who believe in equality, Just another step forward.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : June 27, 2013, 11:23:33 AM

I dont get the whole Morgan delete thing, but nice catch
Just noting if a firestorm does breakout - so the ignition point is identified perhaps

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 08, 2013, 06:26:21 PM

This ruling is yet another example of the SCOTUS only allowing the Constitutional argument to go just so far as what is politically palpable at the moment, and not by what the Constitution actually says. If it is unconstitutional for the federal government to define marriage differently based on sexual orientation, then how is it constitutional for states to do it? Is the take away meant to be that states are less bound by the 14th amendment than the federal government is? Because that's what the take away should be.

Why do we allow for the Supreme Court to strike down or uphold laws passed by legislators when the Constitution does not grant them the power to do so? There is nothing in the Constitution that grants the power of judicial review solely to the SCOTUS, yet we allow them to wield this power, which pretty much grants them Supremacy over the other two branches and over the Constitution itself. What do you think about this, Vince?

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 08, 2013, 06:30:38 PM

Lmao

I think that means my comment in the other thread was dead on :-)

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 08, 2013, 06:56:32 PM

Lmao

I think that means my comment in the other thread was dead on :-)

Lmao

No, I think it means that I accepted your challenge, yet you continue to skirt around addressing mine. What a lousy lawyer you must be...

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SCOTUS Strikes DOMA « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools