Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are The Bucs legitimate Wild Card contenders in the NFC ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 28, 2013, 12:00:50 AM »

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Outlook for 2013

June 27, 2013 by Derrik Klassen

Photo courtesy Mike Black

While they may have finished the 2012 season with a mediocre 7-9 record, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers may be primed to turn heads in 2013. Through the draft, free agency, and the return of injured players, there are few teams that appear to be more improved (on paper) than they were the previous season.

In the third round, the Buccaneers took Mike Glennon and it was instantly assumed that he’d be stealing the job from Josh Freeman, but that’s quite doubtful. Freeman managed to put up the 10th most passing yards in the league along with 27 touchdowns through the air. While he may have thrown 17 interceptions, eight of them came in Week 15 and 16 alone. Through the other 14 games, he only gave up nine interceptions. Also, what more does Glennon offer that Freeman doesn’t? No much, yet Freeman is a veteran with far more mobility.

We all saw Doug “The Muscle Hamster” Martin burst onto the scene into 2012 as a rookie and shredded opposing defenses apart. Martin had a total of five 100-plus rushing yards performances, including a 251-yard performance against the Oakland Raiders. Martin is definitely their starting running back for the 2013 season.

Not including Martin out of the backfield, Freeman’s two biggest receiving threats were Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams and accounted for 17 of the 27 receiving touchdowns and just over half of the team’s receiving yards. With Dallas Clark not currently on the roster — although a return is likely — Luke Stocker would have to fill the void and that certainly would not help Josh Freeman. The team also signed Derek Hagan, who will battle Tiquan Underwood for the No.3 spot on the depth chart. Outside of Jackson and Williams, the Bucs lack effective receiving threats.

After losing Davin Joseph before the season started and then losing Carl Nicks after he only started seven games in 2012, the Bucs offensive line was littered with injuries. Although, when all their starting lineman are healthy, the Bucs have a top-10 — if not top-five — offensive line in the league. With the return of Joseph and Nicks, along with the addition of Gabe Carimi for depth, the offensive line will be at full force and should improve the offense that already placed 13th in points and ninth in overall yardage.

Lead by Pro Bowl DT Gerald McCoy, the Bucs had the best run stopping defense in the NFL. Although they lost Michael Bennett to the Seahawks, Da’Quan Bowers and Adrian Clayborn will return as stout run stoppers. Unfortunately, without Bennett, the Bucs lack a decent pass rusher. Bennett was the only Buccaneer with more than five sacks in 2012 (Bennett had nine). Pass rushing is easily Tampa Bay’s most glaring defensive problem.

Despite being a rookie, Lavonte David lead the Bucs defense in combined tackles from the outside linebacker position. Although Mason Foster has certainly established himself in the middle with 100-plus tackles in 2012, the other outside linebacker position was a mess. In 2013, Adam Hayward is likely to be granted the starter position. On paper, it appears to be a stout corps and should not disappoint next season.

After being dead last in pass defense in 2012, the Bucs went out and addressed the problem this off-season. They signed ex-49ers Safety Dashon Goldson, traded draft picks, including their 2013 first round pick, for Darrelle Revis, and used their second round choice on Mississippi State CB Johnthan Banks. Although they certainly got the pieces, it is still uncertain how effective they will be. Revis is coming off of an ACL injury, an injury that often ruins corner backs’ careers, and Banks will only be a rookie.

The Bucs are legitimate Wild Card contenders in the NFC, but the NFC South is a brutal division — let alone the rest of the NFC. It may be tough, but don’t be surprised if you see the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a 2013 NFC Wild Card game.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

« #1 : June 28, 2013, 12:27:37 AM »

Falcons are dangerous, New Orleans has the worst defense I've ever seen, (comparable to ours 2 years ago), and although Scam Newton is awesome in fantasy football, he just does not know how to win games in the NFL. Yes, we are a wildcard contender, but so is Minnesota, Seattle, Dallas, Washington (Assuming NYG Wins the NFCE), and Chicago. It's tough to get a playoff game, but this roster has the potential, lets just hope they live up to it.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #2 : June 28, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »

So Dallas Clark is likely returning huh? Suuuuure.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #3 : June 28, 2013, 12:57:25 AM »

^
^
^
^
^
Thats what I was thinking. Where is this coming from? I definitely havent heard anything about that. Anybody know anything about this?

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #4 : June 28, 2013, 06:30:36 AM »

Last I checked, Ogletree was the competition for Underwood. This article was just a pretty poor summary of the Bucs roster and didn't really give any reasons as to why the Bucs may contend.

Capt Kidd

Starter
« #5 : June 28, 2013, 06:39:08 AM »

Wild card, scmild card. I'm looking to be NFC South champs.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 28, 2013, 07:20:52 AM »

We sweep the NFC South ,,,you heard it here 1st.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #7 : June 28, 2013, 08:31:22 AM »

Wild card, scmild card. I'm looking to be NFC South champs.
As strong as the NFC is that may be our easiest way in.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #8 : June 28, 2013, 08:32:24 AM »

So Dallas Clark is likely returning huh? Suuuuure.
He must not have gotten the memo I sent out a few months ago.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

« #9 : June 28, 2013, 09:21:13 AM »

Falcons are dangerous, New Orleans has the worst defense I've ever seen, (comparable to ours 2 years ago), and although Scam Newton is awesome in fantasy football, he just does not know how to win games in the NFL. Yes, we are a wildcard contender, but so is Minnesota, Seattle, Dallas, Washington (Assuming NYG Wins the NFCE), and Chicago. It's tough to get a playoff game, but this roster has the potential, lets just hope they live up to it.

As far a Cam that is not true. I doesn't help their offense putting up say 25 points a game when their defense gives up 30.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

« #10 : June 28, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »

Last I checked, Ogletree was the competition for Underwood. This article was just a pretty poor summary of the Bucs roster and didn't really give any reasons as to why the Bucs may contend.

And to think people get paid to write garbage.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

« #11 : June 28, 2013, 09:33:35 AM »

Bucs may win 11-12 games this season....if that's wildcard, we'll take it..........

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #12 : June 28, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »

Seriously. The Bucs are nothing better than a Wild Card possibility? I call BS. With the additions via Free Agency, the Trade for Revis and the Drafting of Jonathan Banks, the Bucs are primed to compete for the NFC South Title. Screw the Wildcard. Winning the Division should be the singular goal for every team going into Training camp.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #13 : June 28, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »

Sean Payton is back though. Say what you want about him, but he still is a pretty good HC.

The wildcard could be tough.  With Seattle and the Niners in the same division, you have to figure whoever doesn't win the NFC West, will be one wildcard. 

I think the Bucs best bet is to win the NFC South outright.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #14 : June 29, 2013, 03:51:58 AM »

AJ, our best bet is always to win the division to get into the playoffs no?

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are The Bucs legitimate Wild Card contenders in the NFC ? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools