Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Tampa Bay Bucs Doug Martin Become NFL's Best Running Back? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 02, 2013, 08:37:18 AM

Jdub is just butt hurt nothing new. No one bashed martin, jdub is just a crybaby. Hes mad someone doesnt share his homerism for a rb because he was actually right in his evaluation for once. The blind squirrel found a nut and now thinks its the greatest nut ever.

It doesn't surprise me that your simple minded juvenile ass thinks this way, but I am neither crying or butt hurt. Simply correcting your repetitive false nonsense. You on the other hand are sooo butt hurt by past busts like Clayton and Caddie that you can't simply admit when we have a stud and give credit where credit is due. Sucks to be you.

As Grimm said. Haters gonna hate.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#31 : July 02, 2013, 10:35:50 AM

I hate these hypothetical questions that are based on stats alone.
Defenses are going to key on Martin this year forcing Fro beat them with his arm. They'll have to account for him every single play.
Based on this alone, he's easily a top 5 talent.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 02, 2013, 10:57:52 AM

Jdub is just butt hurt nothing new. No one bashed martin, jdub is just a crybaby. Hes mad someone doesnt share his homerism for a rb because he was actually right in his evaluation for once. The blind squirrel found a nut and now thinks its the greatest nut ever.

It doesn't surprise me that your simple minded juvenile ass thinks this way, but I am neither crying or butt hurt. Simply correcting your repetitive false nonsense. You on the other hand are sooo butt hurt by past busts like Clayton and Caddie that you can't simply admit when we have a stud and give credit where credit is due. Sucks to be you.

And saying Martin is only in the discussion of being a top5 RB next year is not giving credit to him, not seeing how we might have a stud a RB?

Not putting Martin OVER guys like 'Foster, Forte, Rice, Charles, Gore, Johnson, Jackson, MJD, and a few others', does not mean Martin is worse than those guys, but in your eyes its bashing.

Sorry but i just put Martin in the same class as those guys, while you seem to see him as clearly better than them.  I doubt he will reprodcue his 500y over 2 games, making his average games more evident(lets consider 300y as realistic), still he could ecplise 2000y next year, when he already came close to as a rookie, for instance by having 1 or 2 more 100+ game. But if not it could become pretty hard for him, especially to sepertate himself from the other guys.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 02, 2013, 11:05:19 AM

Who cares?

1. Any one of the top 15 or so running backs can have a monster season at any given time so it doesn't really matter if your guy is ranked #3, #8, or #15.

2. Running back has less correlation between being a good team and a bad team than any other position.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 02, 2013, 11:12:21 AM

Who cares?

1. Any one of the top 15 or so running backs can have a monster season at any given time so it doesn't really matter if your guy is ranked #3, #8, or #15.

2. Running back has less correlation between being a good team and a bad team than any other position.

I agree with this. How many times do you see a RB rip off around 200 yds and the game is still close? (Answer: a lot)

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 02, 2013, 11:44:11 AM

Who cares?

+1

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : July 02, 2013, 03:17:14 PM

And saying Martin is only in the discussion of being a top5 RB next year is not giving credit to him, not seeing how we might have a stud a RB?

Not putting Martin OVER guys like 'Foster, Forte, Rice, Charles, Gore, Johnson, Jackson, MJD, and a few others', does not mean Martin is worse than those guys, but in your eyes its bashing.

Sorry but i just put Martin in the same class as those guys, while you seem to see him as clearly better than them.  I doubt he will reprodcue his 500y over 2 games, making his average games more evident(lets consider 300y as realistic), still he could ecplise 2000y next year, when he already came close to as a rookie, for instance by having 1 or 2 more 100+ game. But if not it could become pretty hard for him, especially to sepertate himself from the other guys.

Maybe you and Tat are talking about the top 5 RBs of the decade or something. I am talking about the top 5 RBs of the 2012 season. It doesn't matter what was done before or after. Last year, Martin was a top 5 RB. Period. It's really that simple.

Now let's hope he can do it again.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : July 02, 2013, 03:35:03 PM

2012 Standings by Martin among running backs with at least 200 touches.....

Rushing Attempts - 4th
Rushing yards -  5th
Rushing TDs - 5th
YPC average - 5th
Fumbles - 1st
Runs of 20+ yards - 3rd
Runs of 40+ yards - 2nd
Receiving Yards - 4th
Receptions - 5th

And those stats don't even factor in how good he was in pass protection or what an important piece of the offense he was. So again, any argument that Doug wasn't already a top 5 back in 2012 is baseless. Maybe "bashing" isn't the right word for it, but Tat's constant insistence that Martin is overhyped and inconsistent are definitely false. Some people can just never be happy I guess.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 02, 2013, 05:08:55 PM

Ahhh, now it only applies to last year. It doesnt matter what you did in the past.

Its 2013 and 2012 was last year. Lol.

Qaz undestands my point. If we were to rank the rbs based on what theyve done in the nfl consistently, id say martin deserves to be somewhere in the top 10 which is saying hes really good. All im saying is we shouldnt put him the top 5 until he has another good year. Being elite in the nfl is about being consistently good. I dont rank guys as elite after 1 year. If you want, go ahead.

You only focus on one number I say and thats # of 100yd games. If you dont consider the other numbers theres no context. If has a statistically identical year without any games where he breaks 200yds (doesnt happen often) his numbers will look more average. Thats another reason why I say he needs to be a little more consistent before I will say hes elite. Hes a great back and I hope he continues to improve.

Continue to twist it all you want and name call. Its pretty simple and straight forward. It has nothing to with just bucs like clayton, or whoever. It ls everything to do with consistently performing for more than 1 year. Theres guys every year that put up big numbers and then for a number of reasons never repeat it (injury, scheme, motivation, etc). I think martin canif hes healthy. Thats why ive also mentioned the concern of the amount of touches he gets and if this staff is actually going to use other backs to keep his touchesa little more reasonable. Id like to get the most out of martin.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 02, 2013, 05:20:51 PM

"Qaz undestands my point."

This is what is known as "a red flag."

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 02, 2013, 05:25:37 PM

Lmao...it was weird typing it. It happens once in awhile. Ive even agreed with boid, java, grimm, and jdub at times. As longs as it doesnt happen too often youre probably ok.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

gone

Hall of Famer
#41 : July 02, 2013, 06:21:34 PM

QFT.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 02, 2013, 06:23:48 PM

Lol.

gone

Hall of Famer
#43 : July 02, 2013, 06:25:29 PM

Statistically, Martin clearly had a top 5 season last year probably a top 3 all considered.  I'd say there is a difference between "having a top 5 year" and "being a top five back" though, and that may be the crux or the disagreement in this thread.  Any one of the better backs in the league can have a great year.  But the top 5 would be the ones who can consistently do that.  Martin just hasn't had a chance to do that yet, so I'd have to agree we can't label him a top 5 back yet, (but that has more to do with him not having the time, rather than not having the ability).  Though I'd also say I think there is a better than good chance we will be able to label him top 5 6 months from now.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 02, 2013, 06:33:42 PM

All stats and time frames aside, I've seen the kid give a symposium on how an elite back follows his blocks and I believe.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Tampa Bay Bucs Doug Martin Become NFL's Best Running Back? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools