Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you agree Vincent Jackson is the 16th best player in the NFC South ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 02, 2013, 10:46:36 AM

I don't think it's unreasonable at this time to say Vincent Jackson might be a tiny bit better than Julio Jones who has a superior coaching staff, superior QB, superior tight end, and isn't even his team's true #1 wide receiver. However it's extremely likely within a year or two Jones will officially pass Jackson.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

All Eyez on Me

Starter

#31 : July 02, 2013, 02:51:52 PM

Dunno where i would rank him but i think were screwed if we lose VJ to a injury for any length of time, dont you? He and Freeman have chemistry and skills to be one of the nfl most dangerous qb-wr duos.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 04, 2013, 05:30:28 AM

So despite being 6 years younger and catching 7 more passes and two more TDs than VJ y'all think VJ is better?
Since when is age factor when judging a player's performance? Julio Jones could be 40 for all I care, Jackson has proven to be a better overall player .
: July 04, 2013, 05:42:25 AM DeltaBuc5

wilkes

Rookie
#33 : July 04, 2013, 08:23:51 AM

Do you think that Talib shut White down or do you think that Matt Ryan chose option "B"iggers.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#34 : July 04, 2013, 09:13:28 AM

Do you think that Talib shut White down or do you think that Matt Ryan chose option "B"iggers.

I'd say it's pretty clear that Talib played his best games vs. White.  He would probably say the same thing.

On an aside, why is it that people on this forum are always looking for reasons other than a player's performance as to why they played well or badly vs. another player?

wilkes

Rookie
#35 : July 04, 2013, 09:30:35 AM

My point wasn't Talib. My point was Jones vs White. From Ryan's point of view, why bother picking on Talib when Jones is running free. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#36 : July 04, 2013, 10:25:36 AM

My point wasn't Talib. My point was Jones vs White. From Ryan's point of view, why bother picking on Talib when Jones is running free.

White and Talib matched-up long before Jones was around.  Jones has only been in Atlanta for a two seasons, and White has been targeted more by Ryan both seasons.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 04, 2013, 10:55:41 AM

Roddy White is the best WR in the division. Period.

Talib locked his arse down on a pretty regular basis when he wasn't hurt or suspended.  That was about the only time Talib showed how good he could be.

Anyway, I'd say Julio is the clear-cut #1 moving forward, with Jackson #2 given the season he had last year.  White comes in @ #3 for me.

Sure...Roddy hasnt had gaudy numbers vs. the Bucs....but that doesnt necessarily diminish him as a player overall. Division opponents not only play each other tough, they are also very familiar with each other. Go look at Calvin Johnson's history vs. the Bears. In his career vs. the Bears, he has only had two 100+ yard games and just 4 TDs in 11 matchups. Just because Johnson struggles against a division opponent, that doesn't mean that he isn't the best WR in the league.

And the Bears had an excellent overall defense and some pretty damn good CB's that helped in minimizing Megatron's numbers.

I'm not saying White sucks because Talib shut him down.  I'm simply pointing to those match-ups as evidence why I think Jones and Jackson are better.

Better overall defense? Yes...but in 2009 and 2010, was Tim Jennings heads and shoulders better than Aqib Talib? Those were Talib's best seasons and when he had the most success against White. Even if we say that Jennings was heads and shoulders better, well Calvin is also head and shoulders better than White, so the matchup should be sort of a wash...maybe, right?

I also think its hard to say that Talib shut him down completely. Talib played well against White in 2010. In 2009 White was covered by Roberson a lot in the 1st matchup in the dome. Roberson is also the DB that he caught the game winning TD over with :23 to go. In the second game Talib covered him a little more and White went 6 for 66 with a TD, a TD that was the go ahead score with around 7:30 to go. In 2011, Biggers (primarily) covered White and Talib (primarily) covered Jones.

Either way, I attribute White not light up the Bucs to divisional familiarity, same as Calvin not lighting up the Bears.
: July 04, 2013, 10:58:03 AM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#38 : July 04, 2013, 11:15:18 AM

Updated list of the top 25 players in the South:

12. Carl Nicks, guard, Buccaneers
13. Darren Sproles, running back, Saints
14. Charles Johnson, defensive end, Panthers
15. Gerald McCoy, defensive tackle, Buccaneers
16. Vincent Jackson, wide receiver, Buccaneers
17. Tony Gonzalez, tight end, Falcons
18. Dashon Goldson, safety, Buccaneers
19. Sean Weatherspoon, linebacker, Falcons
20. Lavonte David, linebacker, Buccaneers
21. Steve Smith, wide receiver, Carolina Panthers
22. Steven Jackson, running back, Atlanta Falcons
23. Josh Freeman, quarterback, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
24. Marques Colston, wide receiver, New Orleans Saints
25. Da'Quan Bowers, defensive end, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Score so far:

Bucs: 7
Falcons: 3
Saints: 2
Panthers: 2

Notable not on the list Bucs: Martin, Revis, Williams, Clayborn

With 11 spots to go, you have to believe that Martin and Revis are on the list which should give the Bucs 9 players which should top all the other teams in the division.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

seanbassak

Pro Bowler

#39 : July 04, 2013, 12:09:25 PM

I'll take Vincent over any other WR in the south. It's close between him and Julio, I just love the toughness that Jackson brings to the game. The way he's not afraid to take a hit and be physical reminds me of good ol' Jurevicius but obviously he's far more athletic. Jones may end up being one of the best WR in football but right now I'll take VJ. I find him criminally underrated.

Not living, just killing time.

seanbassak

Pro Bowler

#40 : July 04, 2013, 12:12:22 PM

Updated list of the top 25 players in the South:

12. Carl Nicks, guard, Buccaneers
13. Darren Sproles, running back, Saints
14. Charles Johnson, defensive end, Panthers
15. Gerald McCoy, defensive tackle, Buccaneers
16. Vincent Jackson, wide receiver, Buccaneers
17. Tony Gonzalez, tight end, Falcons
18. Dashon Goldson, safety, Buccaneers
19. Sean Weatherspoon, linebacker, Falcons
20. Lavonte David, linebacker, Buccaneers
21. Steve Smith, wide receiver, Carolina Panthers
22. Steven Jackson, running back, Atlanta Falcons
23. Josh Freeman, quarterback, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
24. Marques Colston, wide receiver, New Orleans Saints
25. Da'Quan Bowers, defensive end, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Score so far:

Bucs: 7
Falcons: 3
Saints: 2
Panthers: 2

Notable not on the list Bucs: Martin, Revis, Williams, Clayborn

With 11 spots to go, you have to believe that Martin and Revis are on the list which should give the Bucs 9 players which should top all the other teams in the division.
I realize how young Martin is and that Revis is coming off an injury..... but them not being top 25 is ludicrous. I think Dougie is a top 5 RB by mid season and Revis is the best at what he does.
I mean come on, Sproles is rated higher than Martin?!?

Not living, just killing time.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#41 : July 04, 2013, 02:50:23 PM

I realize how young Martin is and that Revis is coming off an injury..... but them not being top 25 is ludicrous. I think Dougie is a top 5 RB by mid season and Revis is the best at what he does.
I mean come on, Sproles is rated higher than Martin?!?

Seanbassak, the top 11 positions are still yet to be revealed. Pretty sure Martin and Revis are going to be in the top 10. The fact they are not listed yet means they are higher on the list.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 04, 2013, 03:19:47 PM

Looks like he is going to have Cam rated pretty high. lol.

Steve Smith and V-Jax need to be higher.

Clayborn should be there over Bowers.

Its crazy that Babineaux is not on the backend of the list

Looks like his top 11 will consist of Ryan, Brees, Newton, Martin, Revis, White, Jones, Evans, Graham, Gross, and Kuechly.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#43 : July 04, 2013, 05:18:48 PM

Chace, I can agree with 10 of those 11, but Gross? I might have put him in the top 25, but not in the top 11. Quite honestly, I would rather have Penn than Gross. However, I can't think of anyone else at the moment that belongs that high, perhaps Williams (Angelo)?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 04, 2013, 08:17:34 PM

It was a guess as to what PY may do. No way will he put Penn ahead of Nicks. Gross has quietly been a very good player for a while now. I suppose instead of Gross It could be Kalil. I personally would have both guys in the top 25 somewhere on the list.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you agree Vincent Jackson is the 16th best player in the NFC South ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools