Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Akeem Spence has some elements of Geno Atkins to his game" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#15 : July 02, 2013, 01:55:11 PM

to me its hyperbole intended to generate link hits

how many DTs in the league are ~ 6'1 310 ?

A LOT

so when you say "oh he looks a lot like the best player at his position" based on his body size, which is just a generic body size and doesn't really tell you much about whether, it just seems pointless to me

Its like saying "yeah this quarterback is 6'2 210, so there's a lot of aaron rodgers in his game" ... uh no lol

lets see what happens when he actually takes an NFL snap - then we compare play style

acacius

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 02, 2013, 02:32:05 PM

This reminds me of the Carnell-Walter Payton comparisons.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 02, 2013, 02:43:38 PM

Sander is a tool......
Sander has grit too.

He tends to over employ circular logic, his arguments are too orbital for me.

haha....nice work.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 02, 2013, 09:08:49 PM

As others have mentioned already.  Lets see him play a bit before crowning his azz.   He still needs to make the team. And he still needs to make the active roster, and not get sent to the practice squad.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 02, 2013, 10:42:38 PM

He is nothing like Atkins and don't even play the same position.    Between this article and the Bowers/Suggs one I'm starting to think this blogger is a moron.

Starting to?  ;)

Up next from Sander....

"Johnthan Banks will remind Bucs fans of Richard Sherman"

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#20 : July 03, 2013, 09:22:46 AM

since we really dont have much to go on right now, spence had almost 200 tackles over 3 seasons while miller had less than 100 over his last 3 seasons at texas.  while neither guy showed much getting to the QB, spence was much much more active.  why?  i dont know that, but he's a NT...getting the the QB is just a bonus.

and geno atkins didnt get to the QB all that much in college.
would you say the Texas DL was a little more talented than the 2-10 team Spence played on?  There were 3 or 4 guys that made it to the NFL.   And that they schemes they played in were probably different? 
: July 03, 2013, 09:25:01 AM Skull and Bones

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#21 : July 03, 2013, 10:52:37 AM

would you say the Texas DL was a little more talented than the 2-10 team Spence played on?  There were 3 or 4 guys that made it to the NFL.   And that they schemes they played in were probably different?
id assume so.   just as the schemes the Bucs use are different.  the team scouted spence and thought he was a better option than the oft injured miller.  the same miller who was considered an ice skater until schiano arrived.  im happy with that.  i liked millers work, but i aint upset to see him go. . 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#22 : July 03, 2013, 10:57:20 AM

I'm not crying cause we let Miller go.  He is a JAG.  I'm upset we didnt upgrade the position.  Spencer's upside doesn't appear to be any greater and that is if he pans out.  And that could take a few years.  Had we resigned Miller and drafted Spence I wouldn't of had a problem.  Or if we had gotten a better talent earlier in the draft with the upside of being better than Miller I would not of had a problem. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#23 : July 03, 2013, 10:59:16 AM

who are the top 5 4-3 NT's in the game?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#24 : July 03, 2013, 12:00:43 PM

I'm not crying cause we let Miller go.  He is a JAG.  I'm upset we didnt upgrade the position.  Spencer's upside doesn't appear to be any greater and that is if he pans out.  And that could take a few years.  Had we resigned Miller and drafted Spence I wouldn't of had a problem.  Or if we had gotten a better talent earlier in the draft with the upside of being better than Miller I would not of had a problem.

I agree with you Skull. I think it was stupid to let Miller walk and then use a 4th round pick on a completely unproven guy with the same ceiling as Miller. If all we want is a Spence type guy at nose, then why not just keep Miller for peanuts and use the 4th on a better prospect? Seems pretty stupid to me. Hopefully we are both wrong and Spence ends up being a stud NT for us....but right now it appears to be a dumb move imo.

Same goes for letting Bennett walk but not finding a DE of equal or greater ability to replace him. We didn't try for Freeney. Didn't go after Dumervil. We just spent two late round picks on project DEs and crossed our fingers that our two young starting DEs with injury concerns can stay healthy all year and never need to take a breather.

D-line has to be my biggest concern this season. We are dead last in the entire league in sacks over the last three years....but we let our top pass rusher go and didn't do much of anything to improve it. Kinda a head scratcher.
: July 03, 2013, 12:04:16 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#25 : July 03, 2013, 12:09:43 PM

I agree with you Skull. I think it was stupid to let Miller walk and then use a 4th round pick on a completely unproven guy with the same ceiling as Miller. If all we want is a Spence type guy at nose, then why not just keep Miller for peanuts and use the 4th on a better prospect? Seems pretty stupid to me. Hopefully we are both wrong and Spence ends up being a stud NT for us....but right now it appears to be a dumb move imo.

Same goes for letting Bennett walk but not finding a DE of equal or greater ability to replace him. We didn't try for Freeney. Didn't go after Dumervil. We just spent two late round picks on project DEs and crossed our fingers that our two young starting DEs with injury concerns can stay healthy all year and never need to take a breather.

D-line has to be my biggest concern this season. We are dead last in the entire league in sacks over the last three years....but we let our top pass rusher go and didn't do much of anything to improve it. Kinda a head scratcher.
jdub - who are the top 5 4-3 NT's in the game?

i still believe we replaced bennett with clayborn.  i still believe clayborn is a better pass rusher than bennett.  people love them some bennett right now, but had we re-signed him our fans would be questioning why bowers and clayborn werent getting more PT while bennett had an average season.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 03, 2013, 12:14:54 PM

id assume so.   just as the schemes the Bucs use are different.  the team scouted spence and thought he was a better option than the oft injured miller.  the same miller who was considered an ice skater until schiano arrived.  im happy with that.  i liked millers work, but i aint upset to see him go. .
I'm not crying about losing Miller and I like Spence just fine, but I think you know it's irrelevant to use tackle numbers to say Spence is going to be better than Miller, unless you also want to say Dwan Edwards is better than Gerald McCoy because he had more tackles in 2012.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#27 : July 03, 2013, 12:18:08 PM

...Had we resigned Miller and drafted Spence I wouldn't of had a problem.  Or if we had gotten a better talent earlier in the draft with the upside of being better than Miller I would not of had a problem.

You would feel better about Miller being cut after preseason, Schiano pretending Spence being bettert than him, or maybe keeping him, but an injury free season for Spence keeps Miller on the bench? That still does not give us any quality inside, it still depends on what Schiano&Co think about the guys.
Drafting higher is a nice idea, but we also had holes at CB etc. Its almost pick your poison here.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : July 03, 2013, 12:20:09 PM

I'm not crying about losing Miller and I like Spence just fine, but I think you know it's irrelevant to use tackle numbers to say Spence is going to be better than Miller, unless you also want to say Dwan Edwards is better than Gerald McCoy because he had more tackles in 2012.
im not trying to use the tackles numbers to say he is better, just that he might be a different type of player, capable of more.  its a NT.  he's there to eat up a couple blocks, hold his ground and cause some disruption.  fans are just looking for ways to complain on this one imo.  millers been injured every year, added to the fact he didnt have a good year until schiano got here, coupled with the fact he really didnt do anything special.  why is this even an issue?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : July 03, 2013, 12:27:42 PM

jdub - who are the top 5 4-3 NT's in the game?

i still believe we replaced bennett with clayborn.  i still believe clayborn is a better pass rusher than bennett.  people love them some bennett right now, but had we re-signed him our fans would be questioning why bowers and clayborn werent getting more PT while bennett had an average season.

Bowers is replacing Bennett, not Clayborn.

I don't think Bennett is elite or anything, but he was a solid player that worked really hard to go from undrafted FA to starter, and I think he was worth keeping. Bowers is hopefully better than Bennett, but he hasn't shown that yet...so why let Bennett walk and hand the job to Bowers when he hasn't earned it? To me, the right thing to do would have been to either keep Bennett or sign some other solid proven veteran DE, and then let them battle it out in camp and preseason to see who actually deserves it.

Also, between spelling the RE and LE throughout the game as needed, replacing the NT on passing downs, and starting when needed due to injury.....your 3rd DE is pretty much a starter. He sees the field just as much as your Nickel CB and probably more than your starting Sam linebacker. So to me, whether it be Bennett or someone else, we needed to make sure we had a solid, proven 3rd DE and I don't think that happened. Hopefully one of these guys like DTN, Gholston, Morgan, or Means steps up and is big time for us.....but that is a long shot and it seems foolish to me to be in that situation when there were plenty of opportunities to do better.

If we weren't dead last in sacks over the last three years, I might have more confidence in our depth, but the reality is there is no evidence to inspire any faith in our current crop of DEs.
: July 03, 2013, 12:29:52 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Akeem Spence has some elements of Geno Atkins to his game" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools