Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Akeem Spence has some elements of Geno Atkins to his game" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 03, 2013, 12:33:05 PM

Maybe if we'd taken a guy like this in the 3rd round instead of wasting a pick on Napoleon Dynamite, I'd feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-IvI-cmcpA

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 03, 2013, 12:44:48 PM

Maybe if we'd taken a guy like this in the 3rd round instead of wasting a pick on Napoleon Dynamite, I'd feel better.

Different position, different need.
Would not even be a big issue if we would accept sucky QBs playing alongside those nice LB prospects. But some guys already freak out about average games by our average but not elite QB called Freeman.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 03, 2013, 12:59:45 PM

who are the top 5 4-3 NT's in the game?

It's not an easy answer because while there are plenty of 4-3 teams in the league, not a lot of them use their NT like the Bucs use theirs. In Detroit, they basically have two guys who are 3 techs in Fairley and Suh and their wide 9 uses them accordingly. Atlanta runs a 4-3 and had some good production out of their DTs last year, but Nolan moved his DTs around quite a bit in his "amoeba" set up. Denver runs a 4-3 on early downs, but they would run a 3-3-5 quite often on 3rd downs and have Von Miller be the 4th rusher. When they did this, they typically took their NT off the field. Buffalo is an interesting team defensively. No one really knows if they will run a 4-3, a 3-4, or have a 3-3-5 as their base. Either way, they still have two pretty good DTs in Kyle Williams and Marcel Darius. So either one of them would be part of the top 5 NTs, when the dust settle on what they will actually be doing in 2013. The Patriots are also interesting. They seem to be using the 3-4 alignment less and less as the years pass. Kyle Love had a nice year for them last year playing a 4-3 NT role next to Wilfork.

Kevin Williams
Jurrell Casey
Michael Brockers
Brandon Mebane
Paul Soliai

I would say that these guys would be up near the top 5 in 4-3 NTs, or at least top 10. Like I said though, it's tough to compare what we do to other teams and how they use their NTs.
I do see the overall point you are making by asking this question. Yes, it is a fairly insignificant role in this defense and you don't need a stellar player at that position.
We will be just fine with at the NT position with Spence and with Gibson and DTN taking reps at the position as well.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : July 03, 2013, 01:01:24 PM

so who is clayborn replacing?  and who are the top 4-3 NT's?  as for lemonier, i liked him and wouldnt have minded drafting him.  i dont know if he's really any different than aaron morgan...less explosive for sure...but i dont know if he does anything morgan doesnt and he is unproven as well.

as for bennett, i liked him.  i would have liked to keep him.  i just dont know how realistic it was in FA.  afforded him sure.  but would he have been content knowing we want to get bowers more PT?  would he have been content knowing we believe bowers is the future at LE?  heck, maybe we offered him 6 mil and told him it was to backup bowers and get plenty of 3rd DE reps - and he walked? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 03, 2013, 01:09:18 PM

When you haven't won a playoff game in ten years, you can't keep bringing back all the players who couldn't win playoff games. You have to let some of them go and try to find players who are better, whether or not at a given time you know for sure if they're better or not.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 03, 2013, 01:16:09 PM

so who is clayborn replacing? 
DTN. DTN played nearly 80% of the snaps and was on the field nearly as much as Julius Peppers and John Abraham.

as for lemonier, i liked him and wouldnt have minded drafting him.  i dont know if he's really any different than aaron morgan...less explosive for sure...but i dont know if he does anything morgan doesnt and he is unproven as well.
Morgan is entering his 4th year. If there were anything that showed that he was worthy of getting more than 100 snaps in a single season, then we most likely would have seen it by now. I wouldn't be surprised if the dude wasn't on the final 53.

as for bennett, i liked him.  i would have liked to keep him.  i just dont know how realistic it was in FA.  afforded him sure.  but would he have been content knowing we want to get bowers more PT?  would he have been content knowing we believe bowers is the future at LE?  heck, maybe we offered him 6 mil and told him it was to backup bowers and get plenty of 3rd DE reps - and he walked?

Seems he walked because he didn't feel the Bucs courted him enough or made him feel wanted, so he moved on. Did the Bucs lowball him? Possibly. Did Bennett get his feeling hurt that the Bucs were "ho-hum" about having him back? Probably. Personally, I would have preferred that they extend him, but Bennett's early asking price could have been over what the Bucs were willing to pay, which could be around what he signed in Seattle. Bennett got his feelings hurt and left town.
Whose fault? Maybe a little of both. Either way we shall move on and pray that our pass rush is better than what it looks like on paper, which is crap.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : July 03, 2013, 01:24:35 PM

so who is clayborn replacing?

Nobody. He is recovered from his injury and resuming his role as our starting RDE.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#37 : July 03, 2013, 01:24:45 PM

DTN. DTN played nearly 80% of the snaps and was on the field nearly as much as Julius Peppers and John Abraham.
definite upgrade in my book.
Morgan is entering his 4th year. If there were anything that showed that he was worthy of getting more than 100 snaps in a single season, then we most likely would have seen it by now. I wouldn't be surprised if the dude wasn't on the final 53.
cant argue it, but he does have better explosion numbers than lemonier and they seem to be similar players. and he is our main option as a speed rusher so ill be watching him.
Either way we shall move on and pray that our pass rush is better than what it looks like on paper, which is crap.
i think it looks great on paper...we just need bowers to be healthy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : July 03, 2013, 01:40:40 PM

cant argue it, but he does have better explosion numbers than lemonier and they seem to be similar players. and he is our main option as a speed rusher so ill be watching him.

Aaron Morgan was an undrafted prospect that played solid football at a small school (Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks) You can compare him to Steven Means if you like. They are similar, but Means was actually drafted while Morgan was not.

Corey Lemonier was a 3rd round pick that was expected to be a 2nd round pick. He stood out in college at a major program. (Auburn Tigers)

These two players are not comparable. Not sure how you think Morgan is more explosive either. Maybe you are looking at combine numbers or some PFF equation....but watch Lemonier play the game and it's obvious he is for real.

49ers already have great DEs in Smith and Smith.....but they drafted Lemonier and Tank Carradine. Guess they know something we don't.
: July 03, 2013, 01:43:00 PM JDouble

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#39 : July 03, 2013, 01:49:17 PM

Aaron Morgan was an undrafted prospect that played solid football at a small school (Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks) You can compare him to Steven Means if you like. They are similar, but Means was actually drafted while Morgan was not.

Corey Lemonier was a 3rd round pick that was expected to be a 2nd round pick. He stood out in college at a major program. (Auburn Tigers)

These two players are not comparable. Not sure how you think Morgan is more explosive either. Maybe you are looking at combine numbers or some PFF equation....but watch Lemonier play the game and it's obvious he is for real.

49ers already have great DEs in Smith and Smith.....but they drafted Lemonier and Tank Carradine. Guess they know something we don't.
no, i dont believe lemonier and morgan are exacts...just by body build and combine numbers.  many folks on this board use vert and broad for explosion numbers.

aldon smith is a OLB right?  justin smith is a DE.  lemonier will be an OLB.  i believe they said they would start carradine at DE.  everyone loves their depth but do they have anyone that can get to the QB aside from aldon?  and can he even get to the QB without an aging justin?

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#40 : July 03, 2013, 02:12:47 PM

Gotta throw Landri into mix with Spence too. He graded out fairly well by PFF last year with the Eagles.  The rap is he wears down quickly under a heavy workload but should be decent in a rotation. Here's a pretty decent write up, just a bit long to paste... https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/08/secret-superstar-derek-landri-dt-philadelphia-eagles/
The issue the Bucs had with Miller was he was playing injured much of the time.  Pretty sure it was his bad back that prevented him getting the inside push, but he did occupy blockers very well.
Much of the Bucs success or failure this year depends on how well they play as a unit. It's impossible to say how well the Spence/Landri combo will do, but it's fair to say both will be much better players lining up next to GMC.
Plenty of room for others out on this limb, but I actually think this unit can be a major strength for us this year.

jcaulfield8

Second String

#41 : July 03, 2013, 02:15:05 PM

Why do people call belichick a genius for taking mallett in the third when you have brady as a starter and Schiano and Dom are morons...please explain this to me

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 03, 2013, 02:25:29 PM

no, i dont believe lemonier and morgan are exacts...just by body build and combine numbers.  many folks on this board use vert and broad for explosion numbers.

aldon smith is a OLB right?  justin smith is a DE.  lemonier will be an OLB.  i believe they said they would start carradine at DE.  everyone loves their depth but do they have anyone that can get to the QB aside from aldon?  and can he even get to the QB without an aging justin?

Ahmad Brooks and Ray McDonald applied steady pressure throughout the 2012 season. Could he get to the QB without Justin Smith? Yes. Would he be a little less effective? Probably.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 03, 2013, 02:40:53 PM

Why do people call belichick a genius for taking mallett in the third when you have brady as a starter and Schiano and Dom are morons...please explain this to me
B/c this is a buccaneers forum were stupidity runs free and unchecked.
Belichick established a cuture/system of football where the standard and expectations are extremely high and it is easy to plug and play players. That's exactly what Schiano is doing here but some would rather believe he's incapable of doing that so they revert back to the old habits of blaming a loss or poor season on an individual player or two.
Plus it's the offseason where school kids posing as adults post on here along with the resident falcants and aint fans in disguise, and staticians who use all of last seasons data to argue down the optimistic Buc fans.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#44 : July 03, 2013, 02:47:20 PM

Ahmad Brooks and Ray McDonald applied steady pressure throughout the 2012 season. Could he get to the QB without Justin Smith? Yes. Would he be a little less effective? Probably.
i wont argue because i certainly didnt watch many SF games, but those guys must be worse than mccoy at finishing then.  our fans would be ballistic if our 2nd leading sacker had 6 sacks.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Akeem Spence has some elements of Geno Atkins to his game" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools