Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Akeem Spence has some elements of Geno Atkins to his game" « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#60 : July 03, 2013, 04:44:36 PM

Serviceable NT is all we need.
well we already had one and now the DL has one more question mark.  Like I said, had we resigned Miller and then drafted this kid I would have no problem.  Let things work themselves out and if and when Spence can beat him out then you dump Miller and draft the next guy to develop.

You don't think Gibson is solid?
well he couldn't beat out Miller so if he is our best NT this year the position has been downgraded.  Albeit maybe slightly but we can afford to downgrade positions.  This was a 7 win team.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#61 : July 03, 2013, 04:47:50 PM

Only on the red board where fans will trash guys like Roy Miller for years, then after he's been replaced, cry about how we should have kept him. You couldn't tell the difference when Roy Miller or Gary Gibson was in there last year.
this is a point that S&B doesnt want to acknowledge.  nor the fact that there arent more than 2 superstar NT's.  he just has to complain the the list of possibilities is declining fast.  when our fans our complaining about NT's, SLB's, and backup RB's the team is moving in the right direction imo.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#62 : July 03, 2013, 04:49:45 PM

well we already had one and now the DL has one more question mark.  Like I said, had we resigned Miller and then drafted this kid I would have no problem.  Let things work themselves out and if and when Spence can beat him out then you dump Miller and draft the next guy to develop.

He already beat out Miller in Schianos and Doms eyes, thats why we dumped Miller. No clue why you think Miller still being on the roster changes a bit about his future here...dead man walking.

Then why was he a 4th round pick if his upside is so high? You could make the argument he was the best DT prospect avail. In the 4th but I'm guessing a good dozen went before him . Dont get me wrong i think he could end up being a serviceable NT but is he a true upgrade?  Short term I would say most likely not and long term maybe but not by any significant margin.

Keeping Miller definitly woud not have been an upgrade over Miller, or what else do you want? If anything we should talk about how we risked to have downgraded NT position, and what else to find in 4th round.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#63 : July 03, 2013, 04:55:21 PM

You don't think Gibson is solid?
well he couldn't beat out Miller so if he is our best NT this year the position has been downgraded.  Albeit maybe slightly but we can afford to downgrade positions.  This was a 7 win team.

I don't think it was a 7 win team due to the NT position.Small drop off at NT won't affect the defense. It's not a impact position like D-End and 3 tech.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#64 : June 05, 2014, 05:57:20 AM

Bump

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#65 : June 05, 2014, 06:39:38 AM

Akeem in his first year was better than Roy and his broken down body. Nice try though maybe we will see a even better player once he is with a couching staff that can develop him. Not to mention that famous Schiano tilted NT position.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#66 : June 05, 2014, 06:49:12 AM

So our run defense went from #1 to #14 and Spence was one of the worst rated run defenders among DTs.  And provides no pass rush to offset that. We didn't upgrade the position.  We downgraded.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#67 : June 05, 2014, 07:38:28 AM

Proof it's the offseason: Akeem Spence bump

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#68 : June 05, 2014, 07:40:10 AM

LOL at Cosell.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#69 : June 05, 2014, 08:03:02 AM

So our run defense went from #1 to #14 and Spence was one of the worst rated run defenders among DTs.  And provides no pass rush to offset that. We didn't upgrade the position.  We downgraded.

The run # 1 run D stat was partly because teams were shredding our secondary. No need to commit to the game when you can pass at will.
The tilted nose was designed to occupy the C and G and jam up the middle. That was a dirty job and not an especially stat friendly one.
That said, I have no idea what Spence can contribute as a pass rusher/disruptive force in this D, but very grateful McDonald is here. That's telling.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#70 : June 05, 2014, 08:37:58 AM

The run # 1 run D stat was partly because teams were shredding our secondary. No need to commit to the game when you can pass at will.
The tilted nose was designed to occupy the C and G and jam up the middle. That was a dirty job and not an especially stat friendly one.
That said, I have no idea what Spence can contribute as a pass rusher/disruptive force in this D, but very grateful McDonald is here. That's telling.
Yeah, I think we all know the #1 run defense was from Schiano's college scheme to sell out against the run and think the pass can't beat you. He eased up on that in 2013.

But it is funny to look at these old threads where people thought Akeem Spence would bring extra pass rush.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#71 : June 05, 2014, 08:57:12 AM

Not that uncommon for a rookie DT to not be a stud as a rookie; Warren Sapp had 17 tackles as an UT. Spence had 19 as a NT... I think Cullen will get Spence's best on gameday as part of our D'line rotation.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#72 : June 05, 2014, 09:07:37 AM

Not that uncommon for a rookie DT to not be a stud as a rookie; Warren Sapp had 17 tackles as an UT. Spence had 19 as a NT... I think Cullen will get Spence's best on gameday as part of our D'line rotation.
Also not that uncommon for a rookie to not be a stud and then a new coach comes in and replaces him. We're barely even going to see Spence. There aren't many snaps for a backup NT. He's the new Gary Gibson for this season.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#73 : June 05, 2014, 10:44:39 AM

It took three years for Miller to understand what OL were doing so he wasn't on skates for more than half of a game.  The same learning curve Spence is adjusting to so these threads reveal several things:

1. A lot of casual fans that don't understand the nose tackle position
2. Wanting instant results when it doesn't work that way with defensive tackles
3. Trashing defensive tackles when they finally overcome large learning curve

Havok904

Pro Bowler

#74 : June 05, 2014, 11:32:49 AM

There are too many variables that go into developing a defensive scheme and making it work...blaming the decline of the defensive run stats on a NT is as stupid as the poster who suggested it as a reason...QFT and stick to Playstation...

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Akeem Spence has some elements of Geno Atkins to his game" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools