Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Moving Forward.....Who Would You Want....Josh Freeman or Cam Newton ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 04, 2013, 12:00:56 AM »

Top 5 Landing Spots for Josh Freeman in 2014

By James Cobern

Fox Sports

Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ quarterback Josh Freeman recently admitted to a radio station that he would be “content” in moving on next season. This of course makes perfect sense with the actions of Head Coach Greg Schiano, because Schiano has publically admitted his displeasure with Freeman. In addition to Schiano’s fingers being all over the wasted draft selection of Mike Glennon in the third-round of the 2013 NFL draft as an attempt by Schiano to usurp Freeman in the future. There is not a lot of love pouring onto the young signal caller on the Bucs, and unless Freeman suffers from battered wife syndrome, he would be happy to move on to another team. So which teams would Freeman have the best fit? That’s what we’re going to explore as we countdown the top 5 landing spots for Josh Freeman in 2014.

5. Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals may not seem like the most likely fit, but every Bengal fan knows the issues Andy Dalton has with his arm strength. Josh Freeman has never had an arm strength issue, but has suffered more from poor decision making processes as a drop back passer. However, Freeman playing in a West Coast offense under Jay Gruden could help him improve his decision making from the pocket immensely. Why have one of the best deep ball threats in A.J. Green if you can’t throw the deep ball? This doesn’t mean Andy Dalton will lose his job right off the bat if Freeman is signed, but it makes sense for the Bengals to do whatever it takes to take advantage of the window they have open for a championship run.

4. Houston Texans

This is another questionable fit, but the same logic remains. Matt Schaub doesn’t have a lot more lifelines, and Freeman could be signed to light a fire underneath. The West Coast offense in Houston will help Freeman improve, and he could win the job from Schaub if the Texans falter in the Playoffs again. The Texans window for a Super Bowl won’t last long and Freeman can be insurance. Otherwise the Texans will join the long list of Super Bowl caliber teams that couldn’t get it done, because they couldn’t find a quarterback.

3. St. Louis Rams

Its Sam Bradford’s last season in St. Louis. He either gets it done or he doesn’t. If Bradford doesn’t get it done, then signing a young prospect like Freeman as a stopgap isn’t a bad idea. The Rams are not going to have a high draft pick to get a quarterback of the future, and Freeman could be seen as an underappreciated commodity in Tampa Bay by Jeff Fisher. The Rams can continue to build up the foundation to their team and Freeman could be the last piece. It could work and Freeman would be on a young aspiring team will a lot of fresh talent.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars

The Florida connection is the first aspect to consider, but also the fact that the Jags need a quarterback. Blaine Gabbert will be gone after 2013, and unless they have the number one pick in 2014, they will need to make a tough decision at quarterback. Or they can sign Josh Freeman and see what happens. If Freeman were on the Jags in 2013, he would be head and shoulders above all the other options. Signing Freeman would open up that high draft pick to a lot of other possibilities to strengthen the team and by the time Freeman matures, a quick turnaround could be in store.

1. Cleveland Browns

The Browns’ new regime under Head Coach Rob Chudzinski loves quarterbacks like Josh Freeman. A big, strong-armed quarterback is what Chudzinski’s offense is all about, and Freeman can fit that system like a glove. The Browns may have Brandon Weeden, but new regimes mean new quarterbacks. None of the 2014 quarterbacks fit the mold of Chudzinski’s offense and Freeman would be a perfect fit. A lot can happen between now and 2014, but if I was a betting man, Freeman would head to the Browns. A fresh organization with a stockpile of weapons is just what Freeman needs to succeed and the Browns have that in spades.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #1 : July 04, 2013, 12:23:20 AM »

That video was from during the season, not after. 

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 04, 2013, 12:27:10 AM »

Wow. A lot of assumptions and insinuations based of select quotes.

First, the thread title has nothing to do with this article.

Second, they make several references for Freeman improving in a wc offense....the same one he had under olsen?

Lastly, theres so much drama added to this piece it takes away what credibility he had left. If freeman does faulter, a qb needy team will pick him up to be a starter. So youd be looking at teams that are desperate at qb and need a starter asap. Freeman as a FA would likely go where he has a chance to start out the gate, not choose to be a backup somewhere.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
« #3 : July 04, 2013, 01:29:47 AM »

To answer the question in the title... no brainer... Freeman, flaws and all.

Cam Newton is the ULTIMATE fool's gold. He will always have above-average stats and highlight reel plays, but IMO he will never be a winning QB. Maybe he somehow matures into one but I don't think a guy can change like that. He doesn't have that kind of mental makeup if you ask me. Freeman on the other hand... I still give him a large pass for '11. Last year had parts that you simply cannot excuse/explain away. HOWEVER, he HAS demonstrated the "killer" instinct and ability to pull out come from behind wins. I don't think Cam will be that. Freeman's growth in our system will show this year and let that natural ability come out.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 04, 2013, 02:00:04 AM »

Freeman, without question.

Cam is a sh1t for brains, me-first, number one d-bag that gives up when it gets tough. I honestly would rather have Garcia QBing now than Cam.

And FYI, to anyone who wants to retort to that, Newton will never reach his rookie numbers again. Without him going ape-sh1t/superman, they're a losing team going into the future and he's not going to be able to replicate that first season now that gametape is abundant.

Freeman has learned to adapt since college. Something Cam probably will never get the idea of.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #5 : July 04, 2013, 02:03:39 AM »

Moving Forward.....Who Would You Want....Josh Freeman or Cam Newton ?

Other than Jay Cutler, Newton and Freeman probably have the worst on-field body language of any QB's in the league.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

« #6 : July 04, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »

Cam. Younger. Higher ceiling. More athletic. Better leader.

Go Bucs

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #7 : July 04, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »

Cam. Younger. Higher ceiling. More athletic. Better leader.
Never played football, huh?

jhop88

Hall of Famer

« #8 : July 04, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »

Newton

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #9 : July 04, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »

Tim Rattay.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #10 : July 04, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »

I understand the love for Cams' athletic abilities but the guy comes off as a mental midget.  Unless he grows up I don't want him leading my team.

ingey1968

Starter

« #11 : July 04, 2013, 11:56:37 AM »

neither, they both suck. Newton has talent but his leadership and body language may be the worst of any QB in the league. The only QB who has worse is prob sanchize.

seanbassak

Pro Bowler

« #12 : July 04, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »

Newton will put up big stats but will never be a winner. If he ever does win anything it will be because of an incredible team being around him. Newton is immature and I just dont think he's smart enough to become an elite QB no matter how much the main stream media would love for him to be. He may have the athletic ability but hes too selfish and not smart enough, IMO.
Josh I have some hope for, I think he's smart enough and I'm hoping that with a second year in the system and a more improved team he can rebound from an up and down season. I love the come from behind/clutch ability he showed early on.

Not living, just killing time.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #13 : July 04, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »

Something about Cam is just not right. He has the athletic ability, but something is just off.

If I had to guess, I would say, he is not a team player. This offseason they are trying to work with him, get him more involved. If he throws a pick or someone fumbles, its straight to the end of the bench, with the towel over his head.

He is a helluva athlete, but it goes to show you, there is more to it than that.  He is probably better suited to be an individual type sport, like golf for instance.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 04, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »

To answer the question in the title... no brainer... Freeman, flaws and all.

Cam Newton is the ULTIMATE fool's gold. He will always have above-average stats and highlight reel plays, but IMO he will never be a winning QB. Maybe he somehow matures into one but I don't think a guy can change like that. He doesn't have that kind of mental makeup if you ask me. Freeman on the other hand... I still give him a large pass for '11. Last year had parts that you simply cannot excuse/explain away. HOWEVER, he HAS demonstrated the "killer" instinct and ability to pull out come from behind wins. I don't think Cam will be that. Freeman's growth in our system will show this year and let that natural ability come out.

+1.  Freeman is a professional. Cam can't handle the negative press and doesn't lead his team. I'm hoping that Josh makes everyone eat their words this season.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Moving Forward.....Who Would You Want....Josh Freeman or Cam Newton ? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools