Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Josh Freeman run more in 2013? « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 04, 2013, 12:01:27 AM »

Will Josh Freeman run more in 2013?

by Gil Arcia

July 3rd, 2013

We’ve seen Josh Freeman‘s ability to tuck the ball in and run in the past. In 2012, we rarely saw any of Freeman’s scrambling ability when he had an open lane or when he could have gotten out of a sack or two. Could that change this season?

In 2010, his first full season as a starter, Freeman ran for 364 yards on 68 attempts. In 2011, he ran for 238 yards on 55 attempts. But the major drop-off in numbers came last season when he totaled 139 yards on 39 attempts which frustrated many and left several asking if the new coaching staff and/or new offensive scheme called for him to become more of a pocket passer.

Guesting on Dave Dameshek’s podcast, head coach Greg Schiano may have hinted that Freeman can soon be set free when he was talking about stopping scrambling quarterbacks in the NFL.

Schiano: This is just option football by a little different design. The big conversation is will it stick in the NFL because you are jeopardizing your quarterback when he runs the football. I think it will. I think what’s happening is so many of the college kids are coming out, that’s what they are ready to do. So if you take some of those great quarterbacks and translate them into the NFL game, you need to be willing to do some of that stuff. I think the biggest thing that gets lost is that you don’t have to do it a lot for it to be a real pain in the rear end for every defensive team. You only have to do it four or five times a game but then defensively you have to prepare for that, especially when you have a guy like [Colin] Kaepernick  who, you make one mistake and he is faster than anybody else on the field. He’s going to run away from you. You got a guy like RGIII who does the same thing. So I do think it’s here to stay. I think as you watch those teams they kind of did it a little bit more and pulled off, did it a little bit more, pulled off. Just protecting their quarterback but making you defend it just enough.

Dameshek: Will Tampa fans see No. 5 doing some more of that?

Schiano: 5′s capable, you never know.

Schiano’s tone was one that he did not want to give away any potential plans for this season.  Then again, it could mean nothing at all.

If Freeman can add a few more runs per game, he can help extend drives and keep the offense on the field longer. Not only will that benefit the Buccaneers, but  he will also help himself out when it comes time to talk contract with the team

http://www.thebaycave.com/2013/07/03/will-josh-freeman-run-more-in-2013/

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 04, 2013, 02:08:14 AM »

I am sure the knee brace that Schiano makes Freeman wear doesn't help Freeman's mobility.....at least from a psychological standpoint in Freeman's mind.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 04, 2013, 03:04:04 AM »

I doubt free runs a whole lot in sully's offense in any given season.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #3 : July 04, 2013, 03:09:38 AM »

Hope he doesn't have to - means OL is porous and/or other weapons are completely covered or out injured

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 04, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »

Hope he doesn't have to - means OL is porous and/or other weapons are completely covered or out injured

It can be used as a weapon itself.  Its good to have a QB that can tuck and run. Or at least be a threat to tuck and run.  And Freeman is neither at this point in time.

He won't run, Schiano has said he has the green light, so I don't know whats up. 
« : July 04, 2013, 03:12:22 PM The Anti-Java »

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 04, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »

He won't run, Schiano has said he has the green light, so I don't know whats up.

Out of his own mouth....'when you lose weight, the hits hurt a little more'

There is your explanation!!

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : July 04, 2013, 02:05:26 PM »

[eye roll]

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : July 04, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »

Run as a last resort and not be part of the game plan.  Getting injured and placed on the DL would suck.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : July 04, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »

Run as a last resort and not be part of the game plan.  Getting injured and placed on the DL would suck.

Think how many first downs he passed up in 2012, by not running.  Gotta play balls to the wall, if gets hurt, so be it. Then we see what we have in Glennon, before renewing Freeman in the offseason.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #9 : July 04, 2013, 02:58:16 PM »

I asked Freeman this question during the PR draft party and his words were that the coaching staff didn't want him to run much in 2012 and yes, they were going to allow him more freedom in 2013. There were definitely times when Free could have ran for the 1st to extend the drive, but instead pulled up short and attempted a pass that was almost always incomplete. I suspect that in those situations, we will see Freeman run a bit more, but he's not going to do more than probably get the 1st and slide in my opinion.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #10 : July 04, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »

This.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 04, 2013, 05:04:33 PM »

Think how many first downs he passed up in 2012, by not running.  Gotta play balls to the wall, if gets hurt, so be it. Then we see what we have in Glennon, before renewing Freeman in the offseason.

Except for a few franchises, if you take out the starting QB, the team will likely be done for the season.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 04, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »

Except for a few franchises, if you take out the starting QB, the team will likely be done for the season.

If Alex Smith never gets injured, Kaepernick doesn't get the starting job, and leads them to the Super Bowl.

Same for Bradshaw, Frank Reich, Flutie.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #13 : July 04, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »

He should run if he can get a 1st down and get OB,  but he will get killed out there if he tries to run too much. He's not RG3 or Kappy. He doesn't have the speed to outrun anyone and he certainly isn't a jitterbug by any stretch.

Let's not get him injured because I DON'T want to see Glennon.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Josh Freeman run more in 2013? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools