Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Buccaneers" « previous next »
Page: 1 2

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#15 : July 07, 2013, 08:17:31 PM

As far as Tampa Stadium, I loved it.  It originally had no endzone seating, and was just two free standing grandstands on the sidelines.  Yes, it was very hot, and yes the aluminum benches were hard and backless (for most of its history), but I loved it.  The field had pretty good slope from the middle of the field to allow rain to drain and was very noticible when you stood on the turf.  The field was always in great shape, and was consistently ranked at the top of the league by the players.  It was spartan in nature and represented a period long passed.  As much as I loved that stadium though, when I toured it before the demolition/auction, I was amazed at how dated it was in the locker rooms.  When that stadium was rocking though and the wave got going, it sure looked awesome.

In order to get a team we had to bowl in the endzones and add the sky boxes atop the northeast stands. I did electrical work in those original boxes as well as the Bucs' locker room. When they added more boxes, four workers were killed when the crane they were on fell. I remember a downpour one night at a Rowdies game. The area above the locker room hadn't been sealed yet and water flooded the room like six inches deep. The lockers were really beautiful walnut or mahogany  and the carpet was $25.00 a square yard, which was quite expensive back then. Everything dried out OK, and you can bet that never happened again

The seating was cramped and uncomfortable, but there wasn't a bad view anywhere in the stadium. The turf was super comfortable for concerts and was often mentioned as the best playing surface in the league. Too bad the facilities on Westshore Blvd were the absolute worst in the league. New stadium, new facilities. it's all good now.

The original Tampa Stadium was built for UT. They didn't allow enough room for anything more than bench seating. It's really too bad. It was a great home for the Bucs IMO.

creamsicles

Starter
#16 : July 07, 2013, 08:43:51 PM

The sombrero was very uncomfortable, but I miss it.  The primary reason is the energy in the stadium.  Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I remember we'd constantly stand up and cheer for our Bucs.  With the new stadium, people would yell at you to sit down since they "paid a lot of money for their seats."  Maybe the seat licensing gig got rid of some of the more energetic types... I don't know.  I mostly sit now when I go to games because I don't want to be rude to those behind me, but prefer the energy when we're standing.  I remember one playoff game... I think it was against the lions... I think the entire stadium stood and cheered the entire game.  It was loud and I loved it... sure, it was the playoffs, but there were several games like it.

I guess I liked the college-like environment that my sketchy memory keeps.  Sure, there were plenty of games where you could hear crickets in the down years, but it sure was fun when the games counted.  Long story short... I prefer the new stadium from a comfort, food, and activity perspective, but miss the energy of the fan base that I connect with the old stadium... maybe I just haven't been to enough games in the new stadium that mattered. 

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#17 : July 07, 2013, 08:57:45 PM

The sombrero was very uncomfortable, but I miss it.  The primary reason is the energy in the stadium.  Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I remember we'd constantly stand up and cheer for our Bucs.  With the new stadium, people would yell at you to sit down since they "paid a lot of money for their seats."  Maybe the seat licensing gig got rid of some of the more energetic types... I don't know.  I mostly sit now when I go to games because I don't want to be rude to those behind me, but prefer the energy when we're standing.  I remember one playoff game... I think it was against the lions... I think the entire stadium stood and cheered the entire game.  It was loud and I loved it... sure, it was the playoffs, but there were several games like it.

I guess I liked the college-like environment that my sketchy memory keeps.  Sure, there were plenty of games where you could hear crickets in the down years, but it sure was fun when the games counted.  Long story short... I prefer the new stadium from a comfort, food, and activity perspective, but miss the energy of the fan base that I connect with the old stadium... maybe I just haven't been to enough games in the new stadium that mattered.

I agree with just about all of that.  I do believe a certain hard-core old school types were priced out of the new stadium.  A lot of good blue-collar type friends couldn't afford the PSLs, and lost their season tickets.  Often I thin they were replaced by trendier but less rabid fans.  The entireNFL experience has become more high priced and less blue collar.  The difference between the stadiums are a good metaphor for the two generations of NFL they represent.  Oh well, time marches on.

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#18 : July 07, 2013, 09:05:05 PM

As far as Tampa Stadium, I loved it.  It originally had no endzone seating, and was just two free standing grandstands on the sidelines.  Yes, it was very hot, and yes the aluminum benches were hard and backless (for most of its history), but I loved it.  The field had pretty good slope from the middle of the field to allow rain to drain and was very noticible when you stood on the turf.  The field was always in great shape, and was consistently ranked at the top of the league by the players.  It was spartan in nature and represented a period long passed.  As much as I loved that stadium though, when I toured it before the demolition/auction, I was amazed at how dated it was in the locker rooms.  When that stadium was rocking though and the wave got going, it sure looked awesome.

In order to get a team we had to bowl in the endzones and add the sky boxes atop the northeast stands. I did electrical work in those original boxes as well as the Bucs' locker room. When they added more boxes, four workers were killed when the crane they were on fell. I remember a downpour one night at a Rowdies game. The area above the locker room hadn't been sealed yet and water flooded the room like six inches deep. The lockers were really beautiful walnut or mahogany  and the carpet was $25.00 a square yard, which was quite expensive back then. Everything dried out OK, and you can bet that never happened again

The seating was cramped and uncomfortable, but there wasn't a bad view anywhere in the stadium. The turf was super comfortable for concerts and was often mentioned as the best playing surface in the league. Too bad the facilities on Westshore Blvd were the absolute worst in the league. New stadium, new facilities. it's all good now.

The original Tampa Stadium was built for UT. They didn't allow enough room for anything more than bench seating. It's really too bad. It was a great home for the Bucs IMO.

If I remember correctly, the original OBP was pretty good for its era.  I think there were still teams using college facilities at the time- but I could be mistaken.  By the end of its life though, that place was a pit for sure. 

BucWonder

Rookie

#19 : July 07, 2013, 09:10:56 PM

I remember Tampa Stadium playing host to NFL preseason game before we got the team. And the sombrero started without end zone seating. Sports fans definitely were excited about getting an NFL team, only the 2nd major sports team in Florida after the expansion Dolphins. Locals felt like it put us on the map.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Buccaneers" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools