Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: July 4th Declarations......4 Bold Statements About the Tampa Bay Buccaneers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 05, 2013, 12:00:31 AM

July 4th Declarations: Four Bold Statements About the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jul 4th, 2013 at 5:52 pm

by Ken Boehlke

In honor of the Fourth of July (and an idea created by ESPNs NFL Live) Im here to give you four declarations for the 2013 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Josh Freeman will be the Buccaneers undisputed star

This is the year for #5. Weve heard time after time on this site, others sites, TV, and at the water cooler that this is a big year for Freeman. Hes coming off of four inconsistent seasons, hes on a contract year, and the Bucs have drafted a QB in the third round who could become his replacement. This is his time to shine. And Ill declare loud and proud that he will have the best season of his career, and will surprise Bucs fans in the best way possible. Everything is aligned for Freeman to have a big season. This will be the year that he finally puts together a true complete season. He has the weapons at the skill positions, and he has the support of a start studded offensive line. Freeman is about to make a lot of money, and hes going to make Mark Dominik wish he hadnt waited so long to lock him down.

Darrelle Revis will play in 16 games

ACL injuries scare everyone. And they are especially concerning for a player whose position demands a lot of backpedaling and changing direction. But I declare that Darrelle Revis will be able to overcome the injury and be out of the field each and every Sunday this year. ACL injuries used to end peoples careers. They used to be a year-long injury that then took another year to get over. Its not that way anymore. The new surgeries that are available to these athletes have them not only back on the field quickly, but often at the same or better strength than before. Revis has had plenty of time to recover, and based on all of the videos weve seen of him working out, hes not holding anything back. Expect to see the new #24 on the field on September 8th and on December 29th, and hopefully his presence propels the Bucs to game in January as well.

Buccaneers vs. Rams on December 22nd will be a gigantic game in the NFL playoff picture

Ive made myself clear on this website many times that I believe the Buccaneers will be much improved and will be in the middle of the playoff picture come late December. But I havent had a chance to express my opinions on the Rams and their upgrades. The Rams are starting to look like a complete team and have a very similar situation stacked against them as our Bucs. They are clearly a better team but the division they play in is incredibly difficult. However, dont be surprised if the Seahawks or 49ers take a step back this year and the Rams take advantage. Buccaneers vs. Rams is not exactly the glamour game as it stands here on Independence Day, but I declare you and all NFC fans will care deeply about this game when it rolls around in five and a half months. Im also declaring the Buccaneers win that game, but Ill hold that article back until a little closer to game day.

Tampa Bay will fall in love with Kevin Ogletree

You may be sitting in front of your BBQ watching fireworks explode in the sky and reading this on your FanSided iPhone app thinking to yourself, Kevin Ogle-who? Well, in my final declaration I declare that in a few months you will not only know who Kevin Ogletree is but you will start wondering why they dont offer his jersey at your local Buccaneers shop. Ogletree emerged onto the scene last year when he scored four TDs and racked up 436 yards in a crowded Dallas Cowboy wide receiving corps. The Bucs brought Ogletree in and are expecting him to be the third WR option for Josh Freeman this season. Ogletree will be your classic Joe Jurevicius or Ike Hilliard. The go to guy when we need a tough 3rd down conversion. The guy who has 25 catches and 22 of them are for first downs. Thats who Kevin Ogletree will become. Hes not going to score 10 TDs or rack up 1000 yards, but hes going to be important, and hes going to make a catch or two that have huge impacts on a few games. And unless you already have a Bert Emanuel jersey hanging in your closet, theres not likely to be an Ogletree one joining your collection, but believe me, we are all going to like this guy a lot.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/07/04/july-fourth-declarations/

Hate

Hall of Famer
#1 : July 05, 2013, 12:17:20 AM

i don't get the love for the Rams.... Bradford is as unproven at Freeman and doesn't have near the weaponry.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 05, 2013, 01:04:26 AM

i don't get the love for the Rams.... Bradford is as unproven at Freeman and doesn't have near the weaponry.

Nice team, on the upswing.   I think Bradford has out performed Freeman so far.  Had a pretty decent rookie season in 2010.  He was not very good in 2011, played most of the year with a  high ankle sprain, that seemed to hurt him.  Then had a really solid season in 2012.    21 td's   13 int.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 05, 2013, 01:07:40 AM

Its because they are the hot topic amongst national media outlets and have become the media darling of ESPN...They lost there best running back in Steven Jackson and did not replace him at all and are counting o rookie receivers and a second year player to push Bradford in to an over night star.

The games that have much greater playoff implications will be the game on Dec 15 against the 49ers and the three games stretch starting on 17 Nov against the Falcons, then the next week against the Lions and then the Panthers on 1 Dec. that five week span from 17 Nov to 15 Dec will either propel the Bucs in to the playoffs or be the reason Freeman is no longer with the Bucs in 2014.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#4 : July 05, 2013, 06:04:03 AM

Tavon Austin is definitely a weapon. He's the reason his college QB got drafted at all. I would have preferred drafting Austin over trading for Revis, except that we would have had to trade up to the top 7 to get it done. He will make Bradford a star.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 05, 2013, 07:39:01 AM

I would have preferred drafting Austin over trading for Revis
Revis is going to be worth far more than Austin, JMO. Revis is going to play 100% (or near enough if healthy) of the defensive snaps compared to maybe 200-300 snaps on offense that Austin might have got. Austin would have possibly made Freeman a better quarterback, but Revis should be a larger difference maker on the defensive side. I would have loved to get Austin IF we had failed to get Revis, but not the other way around.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Havok904

Starter

#6 : July 05, 2013, 07:56:35 AM

Nice team, on the upswing.   I think Bradford has out performed Freeman so far.  Had a pretty decent rookie season in 2010.  He was not very good in 2011, played most of the year with a  high ankle sprain, that seemed to hurt him.  Then had a really solid season in 2012.    21 td's   13 int.

Their stats are pretty much similiar actually:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/passing.htm

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#7 : July 05, 2013, 09:10:18 AM

Lots of pink tint on the authors specs.
The only thing I agree with is Revis, healthy and contented here in Pewter.
Ogletree and his QB emerging as stars? Yah OK. I'm hoping they can attain mediocrity.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 05, 2013, 09:12:46 AM

Sure if you call three hundred less yards and six less touchdown passes similar. I guess by that reasoning, Freeman's numbers are similar to Matt Ryan.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 05, 2013, 09:25:45 AM

Sure if you call three hundred less yards and six less touchdown passes similar. I guess by that reasoning, Freeman's numbers are similar to Matt Ryan.

Well, going by the "standard" rating system,  Bradford edges out Freeman 82.6 to 81.6.   Matt Ryan was 99.1

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 05, 2013, 09:36:37 AM

I like the Rams. Fischer has the defense playing well and I'm curious to see what the offense looks like with the addition of Austin, Bailey, and Zac Stacey. They did really well in their own division last year, which was probably the toughest division in football. I think they could end up being a fun young team to watch this year.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 05, 2013, 10:39:19 AM

Tavon Austin is definitely a weapon. He's the reason his college QB got drafted at all. I would have preferred drafting Austin over trading for Revis, except that we would have had to trade up to the top 7 to get it done. He will make Bradford a star.

I loved Austin but I'm not about to make that proclamation.

All Eyez on Me

Starter

#12 : July 05, 2013, 10:52:13 AM

I actually think all 4 of these could be true. Not that far fetched. If Freeman is our star and Revis plays in all 16 games i like our chances of being a real contender in the nfc. Ogletree prediction could be right because Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams may command double teams. The one position that isn't a threat to anybody i think is tight end. We just don't have much there but it doesnt seem like our offense puts much value in it.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 05, 2013, 08:17:39 PM

Odds to win the Super Bowl..

Bucs      50-1

Rams    40-1

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#14 : July 05, 2013, 11:03:57 PM

The one position that isn't a threat to anybody i think is tight end. We just don't have much there but it doesnt seem like our offense puts much value in it.

My bold statement.... Crabtree will surprise!!

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: July 4th Declarations......4 Bold Statements About the Tampa Bay Buccaneers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools