Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Seminoles 2014 « previous next »
Page: 1

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

: August 31, 2014, 09:49:39 PM

Too close for comfort last night.  I guess you never know what you are going to get in the 1st game.    Need to blast Citadel this week to work out the kinks and then 2 weeks to fine tune things for Clemson.  Quick takes:

- Moved ball well between the twenties but unlike last year we botched multiple red zone trips.  Lack of running game hurt in those situations. 
-Winston was a bit shaky for my taste.  2 bad picks and I thought he was too focused on Rashad Greene.  Needs to look to run or check it down more rather than looking for big play all the time.
-Karlos Williams was disappointing.  Mario Pender looked much better in limited touches.  I'm wondering if Karlos would be better in last years role of the change up guy rather than the lead guy.   He is an athlete playing RB rather than a RB who happens to be a good athlete.  Good size and speed but lacks vision and quickness.  He left some yards out there on a few runs.  Has some Blount in his game(too many hurdles).
-Questionable coaching in 2nd half.  We didn't we go for 2 at the end?   Why the pooch kicks?  I thought we have the best kicker in the country and an elite coverage unit.  I'd let him bomb it down there and take my chances rather than concede the 40 yard line.  Why did we stubbornly leave Karlos in there when he was so ineffective?  how did we blow through 3 timeouts so quickly?
-Too many defensive breakdowns and mental errors.  Blown coverage was disappointing and we were unprepared for a mobile QB. didn't handle their no huddle well at all. 
-Fixing run game, finding legit 2nd and 3rd WRs and tightening up d are top priorities this week.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#1 : Yesterday at 12:27:21 PM

As a UF fan, I was surprised and given some hope from that performance.  Think you nailed the analysis.

Agree on williams vs pender.  People loved wilder but freeman was the better RB.  Same way this year imo.
Winston better start going through his progressions and not just keying on Greene.
Defense looked either real good or plain average.  I credit that #24 on osu, he was pretty darn impressive.  It seemed like a 10 yard run up the middle or a no gain.
Hopefully driskel can do the same things as Walsh - minus the fumble of course.
Pj williams is strong - but jeez if the announcers and refs didn't fawn over him .  He mugged that guy in the end zone - and herb street defends him?  Any Joe Schmo and flags would have flown imo.

It will be interesting to see if fsu can handle the limelight.  Good thing for you guys is that you don't play much this season.  Maybe it was a laziness/focus issue?  Winston did have some amazing throws, but easily could have thrown four picks.  And if Walsh doesnt fumble in the 4th, we might have had a new #1.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#2 : Yesterday at 05:17:21 PM

I think its just 1st game type stuff.  I'm not overly concerned.  Blown coverages, communication errors and substitution errors are all correctable. we will get it right.  Schedule is tougher this year but if we take care of business we should be in the playoffs. 
: Yesterday at 09:05:14 PM rpc1978

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#3 : Yesterday at 05:54:13 PM

I was busy getting drunk at the beach with friends Saturday night so I just watched it this morning and I feel kind of the same as you

- Jameis was forcing the ball to Greene a lot more than he should. Greene has a knack for getting open and making plys but you cant just keep only going to him. on the first INT he had O'Leary open for a would be TD and that most likely would have ended the game right there
- the OL play was not that great. the OGs played well for the most part other than a couple miscues which I attribute to game 1 rust. Austin Barron our Center looked bad and he needs to get his **CENSORED** together, he is the weak link and was a big portion of our run game issues
- Cason Beatty is absolutely awful and is a huge liability. punting will be an issue
- the defense played pretty well although the tackling was garbage at times. that is easily fixable and should be fixed quickly

games like this are the reason I hate opening up against a good team and not a cupcake. if we played the Citadel in week 1 and OSU in Week 2 the outcome would have been much different. we have a ton of talented freshmen RB, WR, and DL and Jimbo wasn't going to put them in against a team like OSU when the game isn't already put away

our DT depth is there but theres a lot of young guys who need to get game reps against punching bag teams before theyre ready to play against high level comp. we also need to get the young WRs out there without Greene and let Winston develop a rapport for with them

overall I give the team a C for this game. im glad we overcame adversity and beat a team who played out of their minds and with nothing to lose. that's the kind of game that ends up in a letdown

rodtoastjones

Starter

#4 : Today at 07:30:48 AM

As a UF fan, I was surprised and given some hope from that performance.  Think you nailed the analysis.

Agree on williams vs pender.  People loved wilder but freeman was the better RB.  Same way this year imo.
Winston better start going through his progressions and not just keying on Greene.
Defense looked either real good or plain average.  I credit that #24 on osu, he was pretty darn impressive.  It seemed like a 10 yard run up the middle or a no gain.
Pj williams is strong - but jeez if the announcers and refs didn't fawn over him .  He mugged that guy in the end zone - and herb street defends him?  Any Joe Schmo and flags would have flown imo.

It will be interesting to see if fsu can handle the limelight.  Good thing for you guys is that you don't play much this season.  Maybe it was a laziness/focus issue?  Winston did have some amazing throws, but easily could have thrown four picks.  And if Walsh doesnt fumble in the 4th, we might have had a new #1.
OK St, Clemson, Notre Dame, Miami, Louisville, UF

Florida's
South Carolina, Alabama, LSU, UGA, FSU

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#5 : Today at 07:10:41 PM

OK St, Clemson, Notre Dame, Miami, Louisville, UF

Florida's
South Carolina, Alabama, LSU, UGA, FSU

Miami?  LOL, they're the suck right now. 

FSU had TWO teams in the top 25 on their schedule to start the year.  Wow.  Louisille and UF may get on there eventually but FSU's schedule is weak.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Seminoles 2014 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools