Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers Face Fork In The Road « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 15, 2013, 03:13:23 AM »

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Face Fork In The Road

By Ken Boehlke - Sep 14th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Sep 8, 2013; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano (right) and his coaching staff look on against the New York Jets during the first half at MetLife Stadium. The Jets won 18-17.  Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Losing is hard on any organization. Losing a game you believe you should have won is even worse. The Buccaneers organization experienced it the hard way this week after falling to the lowly Jets.

On Monday and Tuesday they had to answer questions about “the late hit”, then on Wednesday broke the news that Greg Schiano rigged the captain vote to keep Freeman out. Finally on Thursday the team photo debacle began.

Through all of this there were numerous articles about players only meetings and Freeman/Schiano tiffs. And at this moment we still don’t have any answers about the vote, the meeting, or whether or not Schiano and Freeman really are at odds.

But one fact we do know, the Buccaneers will take the field Sunday afternoon at Raymond James Stadium to take on the New Orleans Saints.

December 9, 2012; Tampa, FL, USA; Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano reacts on the sidelines against the Philadelphia Eagles during the first half at Raymond James Stadium.
 Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

I see it as a clear fork in the road of the 2013 Tampa Bay season. The team can go in one of two directions. First, they could get caught up in all of the off the field garbage, lose the game, and begin spiraling out of control like the dreadful 2011 squad that got Raheem the ax. Or, they could band together, become a tighter team, and take the step to the next level like we’ve all hoped.

Let’s start with the bad. If the Buccaneers are truly distracted by all the craziness happening off the field, and if there really is a rife between the coach and quarterback, things could get ugly real quick.

Teams without a clear message or clear leader tend to flop when times get tough. And with a difficult pair of games ahead of them, things could get out of hand really quickly. If the Buccaneers do indeed lose to the Saints, they then have to head to Foxboro to take on a 2-0 Patriots team who’ll be coming off nine days rest.

People will start questioning Freeman, wondering about Schiano, and demanding answers from the architect of the team Mark Dominik. After just one game the Bucs could very well already be sliding down this slippery slope, another loss or two could put them in true freefall.

Or maybe just the opposite will happen. Maybe it is all fabrication and the team will be able to come together as one to drown out all of the outside noise and focus their efforts even more on winning football games. Freeman will stand up as a leader, Schiano will garner the respect of his team, and the talent pool the Bucs have will put it all together, with a little added motivation from all the off the field hooligans, will finally show through.

This team could get on a nice little roll. If they can knock off New Orleans and then somehow go in and beat the Patriots, the schedule loosens up quite a bit and the team will be riding a major confidence high. It seems far fetched right now coming off a loss to the Jets, but sometimes a bit of added pressure can be just what a team needs to get it going.

The fact remains, results will determine the road this team heads in. Winning creates chemistry, not the other way around. It may look disjointed right now, but a pair of wins would change the tune of just about everyone really quickly. The scary part is, a pair of losses could mean disaster.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/09/14/tampa-bay-buccaneers-face-fork-road/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Trending%20on%20FS

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 15, 2013, 06:20:19 AM »

Who knows... Maybe the jets are a better team than most thought they would be. Maybe it was just a fluke. Maybe we beat the saints AND pats in two weeks time. Maybe schiano and freeman start actually working together. Maybe home field advantage will mean something this time against them. Maybe Schiano won't dial up another conservative game.

We'll see. I thought there was a lot of maybe's before the jets game too.

Maybe schiano knew something about smith. Maybe revis knew his old team and shared info. Maybe..we had more talent than them. Etc.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #2 : September 15, 2013, 08:14:01 AM »

Today is most definitely a fork in the road. Winning fixes everything. We beat the Saints today and everything is magically fixed. Even if we play really well and still lose, things will be much better. Maybe not forever, but it would buy some time.

If we come out and look horrible again though, and get curb stomped by the Saints....there is no turning back. This season, Schiano, Freeman, team unity, fans hopes and support....it's all dead. Big freaking game today. Decisive fork.

Draft Aaron Donald

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #3 : September 15, 2013, 08:30:05 AM »

Today is most definitely a fork in the road. Winning fixes everything. We beat the Saints today and everything is magically fixed. Even if we play really well and still lose, things will be much better. Maybe not forever, but it would buy some time.

If we come out and look horrible again though, and get curb stomped by the Saints....there is no turning back. This season, Schiano, Freeman, team unity, fans hopes and support....it's all dead. Big freaking game today. Decisive fork.
word!

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 15, 2013, 08:38:50 AM »

It's like trying to kill the raw funk of sh!t with a shot of febreeze....there are deeper issues with this club that one win won't cure.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #5 : September 15, 2013, 08:45:05 AM »

It's like trying to kill the raw funk of sh!t with a shot of febreeze....there are deeper issues with this club that one win won't cure.

Oh I agree 100% in the long term, but short term....winning fixes everything.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #6 : September 15, 2013, 08:48:41 AM »

Yep....I'm almost as interested in the reactions to the game as the game itself....should make for an entertaining week ahead.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #7 : September 15, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »

Bucs get shredded.

S gives a finger pointing pressed.

Sully is coach by midnight.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #8 : September 15, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »

Yep....I'm almost as interested in the reactions to the game as the game itself....should make for an entertaining week ahead.
this board will probably be more entertaining this afternoon than the game.  gonna park my ass on the coach with a bowl of popcorn and a code red MD.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #9 : September 15, 2013, 10:01:17 AM »

Schiano definitely doesn't help himself by not taking the blame like he did last week. I don't care who's fault it is, the coach is always suppose to except all the blame. Instead, he pretty much put it on the players. Didn't take responsibility himself. That is not going to help matters.

Draft Aaron Donald

crazybucfan67

Rookie
« #10 : September 15, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »

An interesting point. How often do week 2 games present this situation? I personally think we can beat New England by double covering Edelman. Brady has no one else to catch the ball. Even if we dont win today, as long as the penalties drop in number, the game isnt decided early by defensive lapses and the offense looks half way consistant then today is a positive and we move on. Personally I would rather be peaking in late Oct-early Nov but thats just me. Everyone enjoy the game on tv, you fair weather Bucs fans get a treat from us die hards who made it possible. I will be there today rocking the creamsicle like I did 30 years ago. Go Bucs!

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #11 : September 15, 2013, 11:09:11 AM »

Schiano definitely doesn't help himself by not taking the blame like he did last week. I don't care who's fault it is, the coach is always suppose to except all the blame. Instead, he pretty much put it on the players. Didn't take responsibility himself. That is not going to help matters.

Schiano is a project like Raheem.  Both are learning the job about being an NFL head coach.  NFL head coaches have to take responsibility because these players are here longer than four years on your roster sometimes and sometimes due to salary cap reasons you can't cut.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 15, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »

Agree.   Someone is getting walking papers.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 15, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »

Schiano is a project like Raheem.  Both are learning the job about being an NFL head coach.  NFL head coaches have to take responsibility because these players are here longer than four years on your roster sometimes and sometimes due to salary cap reasons you can't cut.

IDK man, they shouldn't of hired him if he was THAT much of a project.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #14 : September 15, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »

"...then on Wednesday broke the news that Greg Schiano rigged the captain vote to keep Freeman out."

Looks like someone's too stupid to tell the difference between news and rumors. Like a lot of people on this board.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers Face Fork In The Road « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools