Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFLosophy Twitter Account turns out to be Buc employee « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 11, 2013, 12:02:38 AM

NFLosophy Twitter Account was Buccaneers' operations manager

By Sander Philipse

Jul 10 2013, 9:42p 2

Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

The (in)famous twitter account was a Bucs employee, which makes a few of his comments on the Bucs a little more interesting.

For almost a year, the twitter account @NFLosophy has fascinated the NFL community on Twitter. And now, we finally know who the man is: Joel Bussell, who worked as the Special Events & Team Operations Coordinator, which essentially means he was responsible for a lot of the daily workings of the team. And that wasn't always easy:

NFL Philosophy @NFLosophy

You know me as NFL Philosophy. My real name is Joe Bussell & I worked for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 2011 season. Best year of my life
4:07 PM - 10 Jul 2013

After the 2010 camp, I moved to Tampa simply to volunteer for gameday operations. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time
4:11 PM - 10 Jul 2013

I was hired during the lockout in June 2011. Had 3 weeks to prepare for a camp we weren't even sure was going to happen. Oh yeah, and London
4:13 PM - 10 Jul 2013

Working for the Buccaneers was the best experience of my life. Everyone in the organization was first class every step of the way.
4:14 PM - 10 Jul 2013

While Joe wasn't directly involved in coaching or scouting, he's repeatedly noted that he tried to learn as much as he could from coaches and the front office side. And that's why his previous tweets on the Buccaneers are so fascinating, because they give a rare bit of fairly good insight into the Bucs' inner workings.

So, I present to you without comment, a few of the more interesting NFLosophy notes on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

Some teams restrict what can be ordered to players rooms through the hotel. A lot won't let players order alcohol. We did. We shouldn't have
8:29 PM - 30 Mar 2013

Bucs don't pay a penny more than they think someone is worth. Willing to walk away from any negotiation at anytime. They've proven that.
8:12 AM - 23 Mar 2013

RT @HellzzzBell: how far in over his head was Morris really?? >>Young team & young "player's coach" type probably wasn't a good mix.
5:36 PM - 10 Jul 2013

Put Raheem in charge of a veteran team and it'd be a completely different story. Rah is the type of guy you'd run through a brick wall for.
5:37 PM - 10 Jul 2013

And of course, his article on make-or-break candidates, which includes Josh Freeman:

Freeman is going to benefit hugely from an improved defense. He was asked to throw a lot more than the Bucs would have liked in 2012 because of huge point totals put up by opponents. Freeman was asked to keep Tampa in games way too much last year. This season, the addition of Darrelle Revis, Dashon Goldson, and Johnthan Banks should help the Bucs on offense by allowing them to rely more on the run game - which they prefer to do - rather than relying on the big, aggressive arm of Freeman.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/7/10/4512748/nflosophy-twitter-account-was-buccaneers-operations-manager

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#1 : July 11, 2013, 12:59:45 AM

Interesting.

The quest for .500 begins...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 11, 2013, 05:53:25 AM

There it is.

S would rather bring back the Eighties, than do what is trending.

Hey, I suppose things come in a cyclical fashion, so maybe S will be putting a heavier, bruising team that will look to attack faster, lighter defenders..."ahead if his time" type stuff.

Or maybe S is just a dinosaur. Ready to go extinct. We'll see soon enough.

Regardless, they view Free as a game manager with a missile launcher for an arm. Which is about what he is good for as a result if his inability to process a play quickly, check down into something more effective, look off defenders and hitting route runners in stride occasionally.

Is Free going to get Stafford money?  Better not. Unless Free shows he can FOR ONCE show general improvement in basic tenets that will allow for a QB to be able to carry a team by virtue of excellent ability and play. Free got that?  Well we will see game 1 shan't we?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 11, 2013, 06:15:45 AM

It is interesting to think Dom thought Quincy Black was worth his last contract..."not a penny more", right?

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#4 : July 11, 2013, 06:33:05 AM

Is Free going to get Stafford money?  Better not. Unless Free shows he can FOR ONCE show general improvement in basic tenets that will allow for a QB to be able to carry a team by virtue of excellent ability and play. Free got that?  Well we will see game 1 shan't we?

Freeman 'carried' a team plagued by a horrible defense to 7 wins. An elite QB with similar shedule and circumstances got his team to not more than 7 wins aswell, D Brees.
Blaming him, beside the defense, as the 'hater' always stress like a mantra, for the 9 losses is one thing, but crediting for wins last season is another. Next year he hopefully has to do alot 'less' and therefore less chance to show off indiviually.
: July 11, 2013, 06:35:40 AM QaZ

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 11, 2013, 06:42:03 AM

He has had chances...to show improvement.

I would like to see him beat good teams and look good doing it. Is that too much to ask?

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#6 : July 11, 2013, 06:47:00 AM

I would like to see him beat good teams and look good doing it. Is that too much to ask?

Improvement he showed. debateable how much and how substantial, just how many chance to beat good teams did he really have and how much would this really mean towards his future here?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 11, 2013, 07:02:29 AM

Any time he is suited and cleated and is facing a tough team a la Pittsburgh, he has a chance.

Freeman is worthy of the scrutiny he is receiving. Valid opinions abound, except when it comes to anything other than what we have actually watched for quite a few years with 5. Which is where my points are made. Not in make believe land.

It is also very easy to disassociate the offense and defense (almost necessary) in regards to his play. Otherwise, you are making presumptions. We have to base our opinion of him in what we see.

And what I have actually seen from HIM is disconcerting. I have watched football for thirty plus years. And he needs improvement in basic form and that is all there is to say...period. He isn't a good QB. Not from what I have seen.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#8 : July 11, 2013, 07:58:02 AM

Any time he is suited and cleated and is facing a tough team a la Pittsburgh, he has a chance.

Freeman is worthy of the scrutiny he is receiving. Valid opinions abound, except when it comes to anything other than what we have actually watched for quite a few years with 5. Which is where my points are made. Not in make believe land.

It is also very easy to disassociate the offense and defense (almost necessary) in regards to his play. Otherwise, you are making presumptions. We have to base our opinion of him in what we see.

And what I have actually seen from HIM is disconcerting. I have watched football for thirty plus years. And he needs improvement in basic form and that is all there is to say...period. He isn't a good QB. Not from what I have seen.

Again, how many chance did he have to beat good teams and what does it really mean towards seeing him or not as a good QB?

Good teams have better defenses than ours the last few years, most of 'em also have great QBs. So to beat those teams, Freeman does not have to just be great. he has to be better than this, outplaying the great QBs. Sure their defense/QB also can have a bad day, as Freeman or our defense can have above average day aswell(average by their Standards, not overall),  but how should this get Freeman off the hook? One or two more wins against quality opponents with such horrible defense on his side, does not make it a less of a coincidence, trend or even correlation...either way.
When we want to win SBs, the ultimate goal, we will have to have a better overall team. Kinda pointless to base our evaluation on our QB while in a situation far away from where you can really expect a SB win with, our ultimate goal. Its the exact same argumation we use when dismissing his racked up stats in garbage time, its not the right situation in which you evaluate his Talent to win SB with, again our ultimate goal.
On the other hand we 'rip' him for just having good games against bad teams/defenses. It all starts with expectations, Freeman actually should destroy those teams, so why bring it up against him?(not saying it was you bringing this up)

You want to talk about QB related topics instead, like accuracy(errant throws), reading coverage, going through his progressions etc? What to see improvement here? Then talk about this and do not mix it up with other (meanigless) 'factors'.
He showed improvement here, again debateable how much, but we also have to account the new system and his WRs dictating the throws, things like that. When under stress, because still 'insecure' about the system (f/e it took Eli multiple years to figure out a similar one) or just (phantom) stress from a 'suspect' OL. This stress causes you to miss on your basics, therefore its reasonable to expect improvement from him here due to less stress off factors he has not direct influence on (aka he did not even got better himself, but you also can not really blame him for) The same argumentation we use to belittle his stats/improvements looking at his weapons and their strengths, but how they also have weakness Freeman has to cover up for or is suffering from gets kinda ignored.

Either way, look at/believe in what you see, Freeman is what he is. I'm not argueing this, maybe just tryin to lighten you up a bit, regarding your concerns towards him. But you need to make the best out of what he brings to the table, even if you are not seeing it as much. Thats what i am argueing.
Dreaming about what you (unreasonablely) think he should be or gush over what he is NOT, is absolutly pointless  not of assistence at all, even in make believe land.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 11, 2013, 08:01:20 AM

Damn.  Another Freeman debate thread.  This topic infects everything.   

Anyone pull up all the NFLosophy account post history for any other tidbits?   

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 11, 2013, 08:42:06 AM

for Stafford it was

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 11, 2013, 08:53:14 AM

Who does Mah Sources work for?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 11, 2013, 09:21:13 AM

So if I'm reading this correctly, Morris allowed the players to order alcohol to their rooms the night before games in 2011? If I'm also remembering correctly, posters on this forum believe NFL players are responsible enough to eat and do the right things to maximize their performance?

Guess that whole meeting room at 72 and all players drinking two bottles of water wasn't so stupid huh?

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 11, 2013, 09:36:19 AM

They do that sort of thing in basic military training schools.

They force you to drink two large glasses if tepid water before you eat...hydration. Any simple minded idiot knows this, and for athletes to drink before games or even during the season is ridiculous.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 11, 2013, 10:49:44 AM

..., and for athletes to drink before games or even during the season is ridiculous...

Unless you're still living in the 70's...  ;)

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFLosophy Twitter Account turns out to be Buc employee « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools