Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cosell talks Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#45 : July 12, 2013, 02:16:37 PM

No it's not difficult to compare pre-draft QB rankings. The bottom line is QB is the most important position in football. If teams think a player can be a franchise QB, they're drafting him in the 1st round, or at worst the top of the 2nd round, regardless of what other QB's are available in the middle rounds. Everyone thought Ryan and Flacco should go in the 1st round. No one thought Glennon should.

Since most of the time the teams fail at getting a francise QB this way, i have my doubts whether this should be the only way for. Furthermore i wonder why there are QB taken after the top40 at all.
The higher success rate of top40 picks does not force teams to draft QB so high, nor does it tell us anything about how teams think about guys taken outside of your prestigious top40.

After the draft all players are the same anyway, or does it make any sense to trade for former top40 QBs? Still we might want to give Glennon a few snaps first, before comparing him to anyone.
As far as why take a QB after the top 40, because Tom Brady said so.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#46 : July 12, 2013, 02:26:19 PM

Vin- I think youre off on this one. The o-line was not great last year. They had moments but for the most part were average. It was encouraging that young guys stepped in and played above expectations. Freeman saw a fair amount of pressure and avoided a good number of sacks himself. You can try to say the o-line was great based off of that stat, but in all actuallity the were closer to the middle of the road.

Guys being healthy should improve the line and improve their overall performance. Sacks allowed tells very little about a lines performance though. Theres also things freeman does that can help or hurt certain numbers for the line as well.

Anyone posting just a single stat usually has an agenda. They dont want everything put into context because their opinion almost always loses weight. Theres guys all over these boards that will post a single stat like its defining evidence.  Just like theres guys who will take a single stat out of a group of facts to try to prove their point while ignoring the entire context for said stat... cough...cough...jdub.

When people arent able to provide facts, put things into context, or articulate themselves well enough is when these discussion break down into "games." Breaking down FRGs reiteration that a single stat doesnt tell the whole story into this just seems petty. Hes right in this case and you going on because in other cases hes been wrong or misleading in this way in some other instance? Go after the instance where you believe he was wrong. Not chastise him for a correct thinking in one thread because you believe its contradictory to how he presented his opinion in another thread. In other words, what youre complaining about has nothing to do with this subject and more to do with some other thread/s.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#47 : July 12, 2013, 02:34:42 PM

Vin- I think youre off on this one. The o-line was not great last year.

no problem, but I wasn't talking about our line. I was talking about the comment I quoted.

Anyone posting just a single stat usually has an agenda. They dont want everything put into context because their opinion almost always loses weight.

I agree because that was my point

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#48 : July 12, 2013, 02:38:46 PM

Everyone thought Ryan and Flacco should go in the 1st round. No one thought Glennon should.
and yet no one has anything bad to say about glennon except he has a long neck and he doesnt run like a RB. 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#49 : July 12, 2013, 02:45:58 PM

Everyone thought Ryan and Flacco should go in the 1st round. No one thought Glennon should.
and yet no one has anything bad to say about glennon except he has a long neck and he doesnt run like a RB.

Gt- are you honestly trying to suggest that glennon is of the same talent level of guys like Ryan? If not I have no idea what youre suggesting. Is it possible a late round pick turns out to be tom brady?...sure. the chances are somewhere near a couple million to one though so even suggesting it as a possibility is like sayi g you can consistently predict where lightning will strike.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#50 : July 12, 2013, 02:48:53 PM

I thought the mostly accepted flaws to his game are he has slow feet and his mechanics break down when he faces pressure?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#51 : July 12, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

no problem, but I wasn't talking about our line. I was talking about the comment I quoted.

Anyone posting just a single stat usually has an agenda. They dont want everything put into context because their opinion almost always loses weight.

But your point is completely irrelevant in this case because thats precisely what frg is saying. So in this case youre in full agreement. If youre reffering to times where hes done the same thing in different threads then I think those other threads would be the place to adress that. Thats just my thought though as it might be easier to attack the points you disagree with where they are located.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#52 : July 12, 2013, 02:53:31 PM

But your point is completely irrelevant in this case because thats precisely what frg is saying. So in this case youre in full agreement. If youre reffering to times where hes done the same thing in different threads then I think those other threads would be the place to adress that. Thats just my thought though as it might be easier to attack the points you disagree with where they are located.
This is great. Your check is in the mail.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#53 : July 12, 2013, 02:56:49 PM

I thought the mostly accepted flaws to his game are he has slow feet and his mechanics break down when he faces pressure?
Gt- are you honestly trying to suggest that glennon is of the same talent level of guys like Ryan? If not I have no idea what youre suggesting. Is it possible a late round pick turns out to be tom brady?...sure. the chances are somewhere near a couple million to one though so even suggesting it as a possibility is like sayi g you can consistently predict where lightning will strike.
im suggesting he could be, not that he is.  im suggesting that if his two biggest flaws are his slow feet and his mechanics breaking down under pressure...that aint bad.  all of glennons speed drills were just a fraction slower than matt ryans, so while he is not fleet of foot i dont believe he is a statue.  as for his mechanics, im sure that is written about every QB in every draft.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#54 : July 12, 2013, 02:59:16 PM

Yet NFL scouts looked at Matt Ryan and said that guy is a top pick. When they looked at Glennon they said maybe he can develop into something in a few years.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#55 : July 12, 2013, 03:04:22 PM

Yet NFL scouts looked at Matt Ryan and said that guy is a top pick. When they looked at Glennon they said maybe he can develop into something in a few years.
good thing we have at least one more season of freeman!

vicious00cycle

Starter
#56 : July 12, 2013, 03:10:23 PM

"The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything." Threads like this drive me crazy lol. Nobody knows what will happen with Glennon. Could he be 'Matt Ryan'? Sure. Could he be 'Ryan Leaf'? Absolutely. Anybody know for sure right now? No? Seems that a few of you think you do lol. It's the same thing with Barron, Schiano, Bowers, etc. etc..... Don't you guys ever get tired of playing that game lol? Heaven forbid that you put aside your emotions about where and when a guy was drafted for a moment, let logic overtake you, and admit that you really don't know what these guys will do with their careers. Give 'em about 3 years and I'd bet a few of them will surprise you. But again, I DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE.

\"He doesn\'t want a people to rule so much as he wants puppets to entertain his madness.\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#57 : July 12, 2013, 03:38:02 PM

Youre right no one knows. Is it safe to say a later round rookie Qb doesnt belong in the same sentence as Ryan, Brady, or Flacco? Is it safe to say a later round pick, especially at qb, is a million times more likely to amount to nothing than become the the Ryan?

None of thats a knock on Glennon at all. No one is trashing him. Some just realize it would be more of an anomaly for Glennon to be an elite qb than a posibility thats concievable. I can win the lotto, but that doesnt mean that I think its an honest possibility when I buy a lotto ticket.

vicious00cycle

Starter
#58 : July 12, 2013, 03:48:11 PM

There are plenty of folks on this board that trash him though... And from what I've gathered, it mostly has to do with draft position. "Player X would have been a better pick at that spot...." Rubbish. The FO liked him, so they picked him. Now everyone and their mom has a stat that supports their argument as to why or why not he's a waste of roster space. Logic tells me that I do not know, and skewed stats and the opinion of the masses will change nothing. As to your buying a lotto ticket reference, that always seems to be a popular analogy lol, but in this case I just don't think it fits that well. YOU are buying your own ticket, not a Sports franchise you root for. Second, you cannot 'work' with or 'train' your lotto ticket to become a winner. Your ticket is what it is a piece of paper that's 'success' will be wholly dependent on outside factors beyond your control. And lastly, there's just generally a huge difference between the average American citizen winning a bunch of money that will change their lives completely, and a rookie QB picked in the 3rd round of an event that rolls around annually. 

\"He doesn\'t want a people to rule so much as he wants puppets to entertain his madness.\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#59 : July 12, 2013, 03:49:25 PM

The Scouts could also be wrong about Ryan. Outside of getting his team to the playoffs what has he been able to do there? They have been a contending team for a few years now and if Ryan is supposed to be a top 5 pick, shouldnt he be able to win these playoff games with the solid teams he has played on? We can say their pass D hasnt been all that great but they have been able to generate pass rush. Have been able to run the ball effectively and have had really good WRs on their team. But why arent they winning in the postseason? Whats the reason?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cosell talks Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools