Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: As Training Camp Looms...Two Burning Questions For the Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 13, 2013, 12:00:26 AM »

Two Burning Questions for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as Training Camp Looms

Jul 12th, 2013 at 7:51 pm

by Michael Decker

Training camp is just around the corner. New Bucs’ greats will emerge from those men already in starting roles. Youngsters will battle against the odds to earn a roster spot and a chance under the bright lights of Raymond James, while many others will be shown the door and find that it is time to get on with their life’s work (to parrot former great Chuck Noll). Greg Schiano and company will begin to mold a squad to answer the opening day bell and fight through a tough schedule. The team today has a lot of uncertainty after last year’s 7-9 finish.

Burning Question #1: Will Darrelle Revis be back at 100%?

Greg Schiano and the brain trust think so – he recently reaffirmed this position in an interview with NFL Network. I, like many in Bucs’ nation, was a big fan of this trade and I was confident that Mark Dominik and company would not pull the trigger on a trade that gave away so much with great doubts about the player they were to receive in return. I like Revis as a Buc, I like the defense much better with him on the roster, and I like the Bucs chance against the high flyers of the division, especially Drew Brees, with the physical all-star presence of Revis in the lineup. A healthy Revis is a good bet and with it a much better Bucs pass defense.

Burning Question #2: Where will the pass rush come from?

Schiano and company believe that DE Adrian Clayborn will hit peak form a year after missing 13 games due to injury. I watched Clayborn a lot in college where he was a man among boys at Iowa. In those days he was easily as dominant as Ndamukong Suh. In the pros Clayborn has flashed serious ability, posting 7.5 sacks a rookie. No wonder the coaching staff feels comfortable with replacing Michael Bennett and his nine QB take downs. The other piece of the pass rush puzzle is DE Da’Quan Bowers, who as everyone knows fell to the Bucs on a potential draft day steal a couple of seasons ago. The staff and front office have a lot riding on Bowers. If Bowers can prove he is healthy from his chronic knee injuries and that he has enough experience and pass rush moves to consistently pressure the opponent, he will provide a beautiful book end to Clayborn. From the inside, the Bucs are counting on some push from DT Gerald McCoy, who had five sacks last year and has yet to peak as a player. I wish the Bucs had one more proven, healthy guy to get to the QB. If everything breaks their way, Tampa’s pass rush will be young and strong, but these are big ifs.

In a couple of weeks, as the Bucs hit the practice fields, Coach Schiano will begin to see if his gamble on Revis and his hopes for Clayborn and Bowers will be realized.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/07/12/two-burning-questions-for-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-as-training-camp-looms/

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 13, 2013, 10:31:37 AM »

"If everything breaks their way,"

That's my concern with the DL's current outlook, we need everything to break our way. How often does that actually happen?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #2 : July 13, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »

I think #3 would be "What kind of year will Freeman have?"

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #3 : July 13, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »

"If everything breaks their way,"

That's my concern with the DL's current outlook, we need everything to break our way. How often does that actually happen?
Goes for every other team as well.  To make a run at the SB you need the ball to bounce your way.  Ever hear, "I'd rather be lucky than good."  I personally would rather be good and lucky, it's your only hope at winning a SB.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 13, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »

I think #3 would be "What kind of year will Freeman have?"

That should rank higher than the Revis question.

No doubt that the (potential) lack of pass rush is a big concern.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 13, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »

While I do worry about RB depth, the TE spot, and the slot......Revis, Freeman, and the pass rush are without a doubt the three big one. Those three things will decide our fate this season.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #6 : July 13, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »

Play calling by the coaches is a slight concern for me. It could have been significantly improved upon.

I think the Dline is a major worry. Total roll of the dice, but hey...what wrong with gambling a bit in your investments?  I was good with the picks and now I am eager to see them get after it as vets.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #7 : July 13, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »

i just dont have near the worry for the pass rush many on here have. I guess im thinking that the secondary improvement will make the difference there. Time will tell.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #8 : July 13, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »

i just dont have near the worry for the pass rush many on here have. I guess im thinking that the secondary improvement will make the difference there. Time will tell.

Me neither. The Bucs made no effort at all to keep Bennett and Miller around. That tells me they're confident not only in the starters but the backups as well. I trust their judgement. It appears the were easily replaced. I'm fine with that. I'm also confident Freeman and Revis will deliver.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #9 : July 13, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »

I'm done talking Miller and Bennett. Both had injury issues and are no longer. Buh bye.
The biggest "if's" are Revis, Bowers and the QB.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #10 : July 13, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »

Clayborn should have a nice season. I think people tend to forget how powerful he is at the line.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 13, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »

Clayborn should have a nice season. I think people tend to forget how powerful he is at the line.

I love the 2011 version of Clayborn but can't forget that he had a mere 1 tackle in the 3 games he played last year.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 14, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »

DE. RB depth. Pass Defense.

Freeman has put up good numbers every time he has good weapons. Not sure why everyone is trippin.

You think 27 TD 17 INT and 4,000 yards sucks? Wait until you get a load of String Bean.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #13 : July 14, 2013, 09:04:26 AM »

I love the 2011 version of Clayborn but can't forget that he had a mere 1 tackle in the 3 games he played last year.
Can you remember how the defense played while he was out there?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #14 : July 14, 2013, 09:17:55 AM »

Me neither. The Bucs made no effort at all to keep Bennett and Miller around. That tells me they're confident not only in the starters but the backups as well. I trust their judgement. It appears the were easily replaced. I'm fine with that. I'm also confident Freeman and Revis will deliver.
they sure were right about the secondary not needing an elite CB draft prospect last year.  You can always trust their judgement. 
« : July 14, 2013, 09:19:36 AM Skull and Bones »

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: As Training Camp Looms...Two Burning Questions For the Bucs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools