Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: As Training Camp Looms...Two Burning Questions For the Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 14, 2013, 09:18:31 AM

Clayborn should have a nice season. I think people tend to forget how powerful he is at the line.

I love the 2011 version of Clayborn but can't forget that he had a mere 1 tackle in the 3 games he played last year.
Can you remember how the defense played while he was out there?

I think the week 2 defensive performance last year will always be remembered by Bucs fans....

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#16 : July 14, 2013, 09:33:28 AM

i just dont have near the worry for the pass rush many on here have. I guess im thinking that the secondary improvement will make the difference there. Time will tell.

Me neither. The Bucs made no effort at all to keep Bennett and Miller around. That tells me they're confident not only in the starters but the backups as well. I trust their judgement. It appears the were easily replaced. I'm fine with that. I'm also confident Freeman and Revis will deliver.
they sure were right about the secondary not needing an elite CB draft prospect last year.  You can always trust their judgement.

They drafted Barron and signed Wright, and depended on Talib to stay straight. It was not possible to address every need this team had at the time. They did what they could and did more this year. It's called progress. The needs will be even fewer next year, and I will always trust their judgement over yours.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 14, 2013, 09:40:33 AM

Before last year I said the secondary was going to be this teams biggest weakness.  It far exceeded my expectations of suckiness.  Maybe you should trust my opinion over that of Dum.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 14, 2013, 09:46:34 AM

Can you remember how the defense played while he was out there?

Gave up 10 vs the Panthers, 41 vs the Giants, 16 vs Dallas. Your point?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : July 14, 2013, 10:12:41 AM

Bucs defense played great for 10 of the 11 qtrs he was out there. Individual stats aren't everything.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 14, 2013, 10:13:14 AM

I think Clayborn is going to be a solid 8 sacks a year guy , but he is never going to be that monster who gets 16 sacks ....simply doesn't have that explosion off the line and around the corner that elite pass rushers have. Love his motor , though.

If Bowers stays healthy , finally , I think he can become a consistent double digit sack guy , especially going up against right tackles instead of left tackles.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 14, 2013, 10:19:08 AM

If we got 8 sacks out of Clayborn, 8 from Bowers, 5 from McCoy, and 0 from the starting NT would you all be happy with that?  Just asking because I think it's a reasonable expectation. 

Hate

Hall of Famer
#22 : July 14, 2013, 10:24:12 AM

Bucs defense played great for 10 of the 11 qtrs he was out there. Individual stats aren't everything.

If you're content with your starting RE not laying hands on the QB, then i guess you're right. I expect a lil more.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#23 : July 14, 2013, 10:34:05 AM

I just want wins.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

nitey

Hall of Famer
#24 : July 14, 2013, 10:36:03 AM

I'm not too worried about the way Clayborn played at the start of last season (yet). Some of the problem could have been that the offense was accounting for him because of the prior year and I think that he was attempting to do everything that he learned in camp which basically mind blocked him. Also, I thought our defensive scheme last year was suspect all the way up to the last game. I'm strongly hoping that between Sheridan, Schiano, Wanny and Davis, we will have a better defensive scheme this year that better accounts for the personnel we have on defense. There are some very bright coaching minds on the defensive side of the ball and this year they have a year under their belt, should know the personnel better and know the rest of the division better. If the defense doesn't play better and the starting players are all healthy, it's the coaches fault. Plain and simple.

Like others, I'm not too worried about the defensive line because I think the secondary will help the defensive line by giving them just a moment more time before the QB releases the ball. As a result, the defensive line will play stronger because of that success. I don't think this is a top 10 defense (although if everyone played to their potential, I suspect it could be), but there has to be no doubt that this defense will be much improved over last season. You'd think a blind man could see that.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 14, 2013, 11:12:24 AM

I'm most worried about Freeman being consistent. We need him to ball this year. But I'm also worried about our defensive scheme. We got burned a lot last year. We didn't change anything until the last game of the season. They gotta make some changes if they are going to play better there. Just because they brought in Revis and Goldson in doesn't mean they can go back to doing what they did before. If those two areas are playing better and consistently I expect this team to be very tough to beat.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 14, 2013, 11:23:23 AM

Just because they brought in Revis and Goldson in doesn't mean they can go back to doing what they did before.

Yes it does . You think we are the only defense in the league who likes to play aggressive ? You can play man-to-man press coverage and have it work if you have a shutdown corner and/or a beastly pass rush. Now we have a shutdown corner , and hopefully a better pass rush with a healthy D-line.

You can't judge the system until it has the right personnel in it.  Last year we were still playing with Cover 2 personnel. There will be a world of difference between E.J. Biggers and Darrelle Revis.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#27 : July 14, 2013, 11:41:52 AM

I just want wins.

In today's NFL, if you don't put the QB on his ass, you don't win.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#28 : July 14, 2013, 11:58:15 AM

Iḿ worried about thee health of the key players and the football gods giving us a few breaks. If that happens, we win at least 10, if not, back to the crapper.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#29 : July 14, 2013, 01:18:53 PM

Just because they brought in Revis and Goldson in doesn't mean they can go back to doing what they did before.

Yes it does . You think we are the only defense in the league who likes to play aggressive ? You can play man-to-man press coverage and have it work if you have a shutdown corner and/or a beastly pass rush. Now we have a shutdown corner , and hopefully a better pass rush with a healthy D-line.

You can't judge the system until it has the right personnel in it.  Last year we were still playing with Cover 2 personnel. There will be a world of difference between E.J. Biggers and Darrelle Revis.

Hope your right. Our d was atrocious last year. Not sure I could go another year watching that.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: As Training Camp Looms...Two Burning Questions For the Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools