Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With Darrelle Revis, do Buccaneers have enough? « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 14, 2013, 12:02:46 AM

Training camp preview: With Darrelle Revis, do Buccaneers have enough?

Published Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:19 am EDT

Roy Cummings     Sporting News

Buccaneers forecast: All hands of deck, fight ahead

Greg Schiano (AP)

Editor's note: With offseason work across the league coming to an end, the focus shifts to the steamy summer workouts ahead. To get you fully primed for the preseason and beyond, Sporting News provides in-depth looks at all 32 teams leading into training camp.

Today: Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Prediction: Fourth, NFC South.

Coach Greg Schiano probably went a little overboard with his old-school discipline last year, ordering his players to keep their toes on the line during calisthenics, monitoring their meals and demanding that a specific temperature be kept in all the team's meeting rooms.

It's hard to argue with the results, though. Schiano succeeded in one of his primary objectives, which was to change the culture of the Buccaneers' organization and infuse more structure and discipline into his players. The trick now is to extract a few more wins out of them.

Schiano has a talented offense, arguably the best in franchise history, and the addition of cornerback Darrelle Revis and safety Dashon Goldson should improve results on defense, where the Bucs were first against the run but last against the pass.

Revis is coming off a season-ending knee injury with the Jets, but the Bucs believe he is still the best player in the league at his position and that his presence alone will make them better. If that proves true and everyone else continues to buy into Schianio's hard-core ways, the Bucs could contend for a playoff berth this year.

PewterG@tor

Starter
#1 : July 14, 2013, 12:23:02 AM

Please, someone remind me again why we're even fielding a team this year?  We're picked to finish dead last by everyone with an opinion.  Methinks maybe the critics will find the taste of crow is pretty fowl! (see what I did there?)

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#2 : July 14, 2013, 12:29:15 AM

Please, someone remind me again why we're even fielding a team this year?  We're picked to finish dead last by everyone with an opinion.  Methinks maybe the critics will find the taste of crow is pretty fowl! (see what I did there?)

If you listen to the so called experts I wasted my $$ on season tickets. I can't wait for the season to start.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 14, 2013, 01:01:02 AM

Honestly even without Revis this is a team that is a playoff contender. As long as we're not starting a bunch of practice squad level CBs and having them blitz all the time, we should win around 10 games.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 14, 2013, 01:07:14 AM

No.

We have to have big manning at Qb, Welker in the slot, trade for Gonzo, and then get a time machine and bring back a young Deon sanders before Tampa breaks the top twenty... ::)

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 14, 2013, 08:15:00 AM

Relax guys, media hype is really just like a line of lemmings, once the perception gets out, everyone seems to be eager to jump aboard and say much the same thing. In the end, I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I love how in almost every article, the writers tend to put us in 4th place in the division but hedge their bet by saying ' the Bucs could contend for a playoff berth this year'. That line is repeated so often that I grin every time I see it.

Here are the 3 major fallacies that every media analyst seem to make:

Bad Freeman is going to show up: Yes, Freeman has been inconsistent, but last season he was inconsistent in a very unusual way. He had 5 pretty good games followed by 4 games that showed off his inconsistency. Rather than look why most of the season Freeman played well enough to win every game we were in, the media focuses on those four games where Freeman threw 5 TDs to 9 INTs and had back to back 4 INT games. In fact, I would probably drop that to 3 games as Freeman had 2 TDs and 1 INT in the Denver game and while that shouldn't be considered a good game, it wasn't a horrible game either and many of Freeman's inconsistent passes could be directly attributed to the pressure he was under during the game. The media opinion seems to think Freeman has reached his peak, but will perform consistently at the level of the 3 games where he played the worse rather than at the level of the other 13 where he played acceptably to good where he could have won the game. Factors that will play into Freeman's favor for this season are: Sullivan, should have a very good handle on Freeman and will have plans to deal with Freeman's play if Freeman struggles like he did in those 3 games. The offense is playing in the same system two years in a row and understand the system better. The offensive line is immediately better by getting Joseph, Nicks and Carimi as depth back over the line that we finished the season with last year. We don't need GOOD Freeman for 16 games, although if that happened, I'd be really pleased, but I suspect BAD Freeman will not show up very much at all, and not in consecutive games.

Bennett and Miller walk equals to less pressure from the defensive line: Micheal Bennett was our best pass rusher last season and the Bucs let him walk. As a result, we have two players that have injury risks on the line and only potential and that translates to less pressure. Geez, I am SO tired of hearing this argument!  Clayborn IS NOT INJURY PRONE! He had a injury last season, but there is no reasonable reason to think that the guy is likely to get hurt again. For all intents and purposes, we swapped Clayborn for Bennett from a production stand point. At least at the starters position. Fans here all accept that, but the media loves to beat this drum. Then, the other poster boy for injury, Bowers is brought up. It's funny how if you asked them who played in more games in their career, many would say Clayborn. The fact is that Bowers played all 16 games in his first season and played 10 games last season. That is also not considered 'INJURY PRONE'. Again, the media should ding us for defensive line being more high on potential than on production, but I love to see how the media talks about how much improved the middle of the Panther line is going to be with two rookies starting and ding us for starting two players with the same potential AND game experience. The fact is, at worse, I expect the defensive line to be no better than it was last season. At best, the line could prove to be something very special. The truth as always, tends to fall in the middle.

Revis. Everyone in media loves the Revis trade, but universally all seem to think that Revis will not come back and be the same player he was and I don't understand that at all. All the news coming from Revis, doctors, the Bucs, video shows Revis doing everything you could ask of him. I have no doubt Revis is going to be ready to play on day one and I don't think the injury is going to change his game one bit. With the addition of Goldston and the expected improvement of Barron, our secondary should be very, very much improved. I love how media says 'even if Revis comes back and plays close to his old form, the Bucs will still have Eric Wright on the other side' - okay, so what? Wright will be covering a 2nd or 3rd receiver and will benefit from safety help? Hell, I think *I* could play in this secondary and still play well enough for the team to succeed. Wright or Banks or Johnson, whomever is going to win that other corner spot is going to be just fine and with that extra second of coverage by the secondary, that maligned defensive line is going to be better. It's no longer a question of if Revis is coming back the same as he was - he's there, it's just a matter of how we use him to our advantage.

Bottom line here: Nobody really knows what this team is capable of, nobody. I honestly expected the media to put us in the 7 to 9 win game slot given the way we played last season and the apparent improvement we made in the off season. This team has some weaknesses, but clearly from a starting 22 perspective (plus add in a consistent kicking game), there is no reason to predict this team constantly last in the division. No doubt this will be used for motivation during the season by the coaching staff and actually for that, I'm happy. 

I don't think this team lacks confidence and there is a lot of talent on this team. I think the coaching staff improved in the off season which is the one area I think media doesn't talk about as much. Coaching was in fact as much a reason we lost some of those close game last season as Freeman's play or the secondaries lack there of.

In all honesty, I think this team will be in every game this year and expect at minimum a 9 win season if we have injuries on par with last season (depending on who those injured players are). If we keep all or most of our starters for all 16 games this season, I think we can win the division. I honestly do not expect to finish less than 2nd in the division this year.

JMO. 

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 15, 2013, 10:22:59 AM

Relax guys, media hype is really just like a line of lemmings, once the perception gets out, everyone seems to be eager to jump aboard and say much the same thing. In the end, I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I love how in almost every article, the writers tend to put us in 4th place in the division but hedge their bet by saying ' the Bucs could contend for a playoff berth this year'. That line is repeated so often that I grin every time I see it.

Here are the 3 major fallacies that every media analyst seem to make:

Bad Freeman is going to show up: Yes, Freeman has been inconsistent, but last season he was inconsistent in a very unusual way. He had 5 pretty good games followed by 4 games that showed off his inconsistency. Rather than look why most of the season Freeman played well enough to win every game we were in, the media focuses on those four games where Freeman threw 5 TDs to 9 INTs and had back to back 4 INT games. In fact, I would probably drop that to 3 games as Freeman had 2 TDs and 1 INT in the Denver game and while that shouldn't be considered a good game, it wasn't a horrible game either and many of Freeman's inconsistent passes could be directly attributed to the pressure he was under during the game. The media opinion seems to think Freeman has reached his peak, but will perform consistently at the level of the 3 games where he played the worse rather than at the level of the other 13 where he played acceptably to good where he could have won the game. Factors that will play into Freeman's favor for this season are: Sullivan, should have a very good handle on Freeman and will have plans to deal with Freeman's play if Freeman struggles like he did in those 3 games. The offense is playing in the same system two years in a row and understand the system better. The offensive line is immediately better by getting Joseph, Nicks and Carimi as depth back over the line that we finished the season with last year. We don't need GOOD Freeman for 16 games, although if that happened, I'd be really pleased, but I suspect BAD Freeman will not show up very much at all, and not in consecutive games.

Bennett and Miller walk equals to less pressure from the defensive line: Micheal Bennett was our best pass rusher last season and the Bucs let him walk. As a result, we have two players that have injury risks on the line and only potential and that translates to less pressure. Geez, I am SO tired of hearing this argument!  Clayborn IS NOT INJURY PRONE! He had a injury last season, but there is no reasonable reason to think that the guy is likely to get hurt again. For all intents and purposes, we swapped Clayborn for Bennett from a production stand point. At least at the starters position. Fans here all accept that, but the media loves to beat this drum. Then, the other poster boy for injury, Bowers is brought up. It's funny how if you asked them who played in more games in their career, many would say Clayborn. The fact is that Bowers played all 16 games in his first season and played 10 games last season. That is also not considered 'INJURY PRONE'. Again, the media should ding us for defensive line being more high on potential than on production, but I love to see how the media talks about how much improved the middle of the Panther line is going to be with two rookies starting and ding us for starting two players with the same potential AND game experience. The fact is, at worse, I expect the defensive line to be no better than it was last season. At best, the line could prove to be something very special. The truth as always, tends to fall in the middle.

Revis. Everyone in media loves the Revis trade, but universally all seem to think that Revis will not come back and be the same player he was and I don't understand that at all. All the news coming from Revis, doctors, the Bucs, video shows Revis doing everything you could ask of him. I have no doubt Revis is going to be ready to play on day one and I don't think the injury is going to change his game one bit. With the addition of Goldston and the expected improvement of Barron, our secondary should be very, very much improved. I love how media says 'even if Revis comes back and plays close to his old form, the Bucs will still have Eric Wright on the other side' - okay, so what? Wright will be covering a 2nd or 3rd receiver and will benefit from safety help? Hell, I think *I* could play in this secondary and still play well enough for the team to succeed. Wright or Banks or Johnson, whomever is going to win that other corner spot is going to be just fine and with that extra second of coverage by the secondary, that maligned defensive line is going to be better. It's no longer a question of if Revis is coming back the same as he was - he's there, it's just a matter of how we use him to our advantage.

Bottom line here: Nobody really knows what this team is capable of, nobody. I honestly expected the media to put us in the 7 to 9 win game slot given the way we played last season and the apparent improvement we made in the off season. This team has some weaknesses, but clearly from a starting 22 perspective (plus add in a consistent kicking game), there is no reason to predict this team constantly last in the division. No doubt this will be used for motivation during the season by the coaching staff and actually for that, I'm happy. 

I don't think this team lacks confidence and there is a lot of talent on this team. I think the coaching staff improved in the off season which is the one area I think media doesn't talk about as much. Coaching was in fact as much a reason we lost some of those close game last season as Freeman's play or the secondaries lack there of.

In all honesty, I think this team will be in every game this year and expect at minimum a 9 win season if we have injuries on par with last season (depending on who those injured players are). If we keep all or most of our starters for all 16 games this season, I think we can win the division. I honestly do not expect to finish less than 2nd in the division this year.

JMO.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 15, 2013, 11:09:33 AM

Revis will make as big of an impact on this defense as anyone that could have been brought in. Outside of adding a top 10 QB to the roster, Revis will improve us more than anyone else could have.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

jlr0714

Starter
#8 : July 15, 2013, 11:38:07 AM

Great post Nitey.

Interesting how so many are taking worse case on whether Revis returns successfully from his ACL tear, but the same experts are anticipating RG3 will be even better.

Also good points on Freeman.   I went back and looked at career stats for the Manning brothers, Brees, Brady, Rodgers and Freeman.   Other than Rodgers, most of them were pretty inconsistent (based on QBR) for their first several years.   For instance:

Peyton Manning QB Ratings:   71.2, 90.7, 94.7, 84.1, 88.8, 99, and then 121.1 in his 7th year.   (he also threw 23 picks in his 4th year, and 19 in his 5th)
Eli Manning QB Ratings:           55.4, 75.9, 77, 73.9, 86.4, 93.1, 88.3, 92.9   (25 picks in his 7th year)
Drew Brees QB Ratings:          76.9, 67.5, 104.8, 89.2, 96.2, 89.4, 96.2, 109.6  (averaged 17.5 picks in years 6 & 7)
Tom Brady QB Ratings:            86.5, 85.7, 85.9, 92.6, 92.3, 87.9, 117.2 (in his 7th year)  (averaged 13 picks a year until his 7th year)
Aaron Rodgers:                          93.8, 103.2, 101.2, 122.5, 108  (dude is a beast!)
Freeman:                                     59.8 (the abbreviated rookie year), 95.9, 74.6, 81.6

None of these guys had the inconsistent (and poor quality) coaching that Freeman had his first four years...but with the exception of Aaron, all of them exhibited inconsistency through their first several years....despite that inconsistency, they have won 8 rings.   Flacco has only broken a 90 QBR once in his five years.   

The 'success' of some of the young QBs the past few years has fueled this perception that playing NFL QB is easier than it is...but let's see some of the guys sustain their success.  In part the RG3/Kaepernick success from last year looks to be partly fueled by them playing a different style of QB that defenses will have to adjust to.  They are both actually accurate passers in addition to being running threats, which distinguishes them from previous athletically gifted QBs like Vick...but defenses will learn to adjust...just like they did to the wildcat.

Freeman may never be on the level of Aaron, Brady, Brees or Peyton...but he is definitely talented enough to be a SB winning QB.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With Darrelle Revis, do Buccaneers have enough? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools