Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Tom Crabtree Win The Starting Job? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#60 : July 15, 2013, 10:52:19 AM

The disconnect, IMO, is that Stocker hasn't developed into Jimmy Graham...so he needs to be gone now, even though he represents value as a blocking TE who can catch an occasional pass. He can and probably will be replaced at some point in the next two years, but there isn't anything out there that represents an upgrade or replacement for him at this moment, so the Bucs are going to use him appropriately in 2013, which like you said, will be similar to what they did in 2012...and that worked out well for the Bucs.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#61 : July 15, 2013, 10:58:14 AM

The thing that scares me most about 2013 is relying on and hoping so many players have break out seasons.

Agreed, but if staff didn't think there was a good chance of it happening we would have addressed it. Stocker made the last start of the year, and it was no coincidence, that was an audition for him. So between the 3 catches he had, the blocks he made and other routes he ran apparently he made someone think he could be the guy this year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#62 : July 15, 2013, 11:02:15 AM

The disconnect, IMO, is that Stocker hasn't developed into Jimmy Graham...so he needs to be gone now, even though he represents value as a blocking TE who can catch an occasional pass.

I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#63 : July 15, 2013, 11:26:00 AM

You don't trade up in the 4th round to get a guy with Puke Stockers skill set.  You wait until the 7th and draft them. Stocker is a bust so far.  Bottom line.

He would never be a Jimmy Graham,  no one expected that,  but we were told when he was drafted that he had Jason Witten potential.  What did we get instead?  The white injury-prone John Gilmore.
: July 15, 2013, 11:49:44 AM Fire Mark Dummynik

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#64 : July 15, 2013, 12:50:58 PM

I think the fact that he was able to accomplish what he did last year on such a crowded offensive roster, is impressive. Writing it off as simply a product of Aaron Rodgers' greatness seems like a cheap and easy way of not giving the guy his props.
the guy had 8 catches.   accomplishments?  c'mon.   what props do you give for an 8 catch season?   he's an adequate player imo.  im excited to have him , i believe he'll be a great role player.

40 catches and 4 TD's for us this season.

Look at that offense and all the weapons Rodgers has. Crabtree was lucky to even see the field. He only had 12 targets last year and out of that he had 8 catches for 300 yards and 3 TDs. That is pretty **CENSORED**ing outstanding production from a very small opportunity. Especially from an undrafted guy. Sorry you don't see that.

Also, if he has 40 catches and 4 TDs for us this year, I'll be stoked. What kinda production do you expect from a TE in this offense? I'm not looking for huge numbers from our TE. I just want a guy that can can be reliable and help us improve our 3rd down conversion rate. Crabtree might be that guy. He has shown some potential. Stocker has not shown much of anything as of yet.
: July 15, 2013, 12:55:25 PM JDouble

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#65 : July 15, 2013, 12:55:50 PM

Also, if he has 40 catches and 4 TDs for us this year, I'll be stoked. What kinda production do you expect from a TE in this offense?

That's what Dallas Clark did last year, it appears some are expecting him to be better than 2012 Dallas Clark.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#66 : July 15, 2013, 01:27:41 PM

Look at that offense and all the weapons Rodgers has. Crabtree was lucky to even see the field. He only had 12 targets last year and out of that he had 8 catches for 300 yards and 3 TDs. That is pretty **CENSORED**ing outstanding production from a very small opportunity. Especially from an undrafted guy. Sorry you don't see that.

Also, if he has 40 catches and 4 TDs for us this year, I'll be stoked. What kinda production do you expect from a TE in this offense? I'm not looking for huge numbers from our TE. I just want a guy that can can be reliable and help us improve our 3rd down conversion rate. Crabtree might be that guy. He has shown some potential. Stocker has not shown much of anything as of yet.
i guess it sounds like a double negative to me, talking about his outstanding production...and then referencing 8 catches and 12 targets.  the guy was able to get big gains because of offensive playcalls and timed accurate throws, right?  he's an adequate football player, and im happy to have those guys.  did he get that 25ypc from breaking tackles?  did he do anything special?  or did he just simply do his job?

im expecting about 70 catches and 7 TD's from the TE's this year.   we had 63 catches and 5TD's last season.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#67 : July 15, 2013, 01:39:00 PM

He has been playing behind Jermichael Finley, who is considered one of the best TEs in the game right now. He doesn't decide how many opportunities he gets. All he can do is make the most of what he gets....and he did that.

As far as if the TEs have 60 receptions and 5 TDs or 70 receptions and 7 TDS....personally I don't care. Like I said before, I just want a TE who is dependable and can be a reliable option on 3rd downs and in the redzone. Whoever ends up being our #1 TE can have 25 catches for all I care....as long as all 25 are first down conversions or touchdowns.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#68 : July 15, 2013, 01:50:05 PM

He has been playing behind Jermichael Finley, who is considered one of the best TEs in the game right now. He doesn't decide how many opportunities he gets. All he can do is make the most of what he gets....and he did that.

As far as if the TEs have 60 receptions and 5 TDs or 70 receptions and 7 TDS....personally I don't care. Like I said before, I just want a TE who is dependable and can be a reliable option on 3rd downs and in the redzone. Whoever ends up being our #1 TE can have 25 catches for all I care....as long as all 25 are first down conversions or touchdowns.
isnt finley also one of the guys who is known for drops?

i dont even know why we are going back and forth on this one.  i think crabtree is adequate and will be a solid addition for us.   you believe something similar.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#69 : July 15, 2013, 03:36:51 PM

Finley definitely gets a lot of the targets as their primary TE, but I would hardly consider him one of the best TEs in the game. 

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#70 : July 15, 2013, 04:56:06 PM

Finley was a gem at one point.

He is now like cubic zirconium.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#71 : July 15, 2013, 05:20:20 PM

Perhaps I should have said he was expected to be one the best TEs in the league. He's only 26, but it's safe to say he hasn't lived up to expectation yet. Wouldn't be awesome if Crabtree ended up being the better TE! lol
: July 15, 2013, 05:22:34 PM JDouble

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#72 : July 15, 2013, 05:23:37 PM

We have no idea how either plays as a #1 TE that gets a decent amount of targets. Crabtree had gimmicky opportunities. He never had to go a majority of snaps against a safety. He was isolated against crappy LBs in designed plays.

I don't even think that Stocker is in this same conversation anymore, he's a primarily blocking TE now.

I'm just comparing Crabtree to Zach MIller and Danny Noble. None of those players stand out as a favourite for getting the most targets. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see MIller or Noble win the job of primary receiving TE.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#73 : July 15, 2013, 07:39:19 PM

i guess it sounds like a double negative to me, talking about his outstanding production...and then referencing 8 catches and 12 targets.  the guy was able to get big gains because of offensive playcalls and timed accurate throws, right?  he's an adequate football player, and im happy to have those guys.  did he get that 25ypc from breaking tackles?  did he do anything special?  or did he just simply do his job?

im expecting about 70 catches and 7 TD's from the TE's this year.   we had 63 catches and 5TD's last season.

I only saw one play of his He easily beat the LB and was wide open and then turned on the burners and dogged a DB.

It's a small sample but those are things that Stocker hasn't done once in 3 years. He literally did more in one play than Stocker has done in his whole life.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Hate

Hall of Famer
#74 : July 15, 2013, 07:46:14 PM

Well Crabtree did impress me with the one playoff catch I saw. That is one time more than Stocker has impressed me in the last two years.

I hope to God he wins the starting job. What good is a Te that can only block? Its telling the opponent that you are going to run as soon as he steps on the field. And he is not good enough to overcome that.

Exactly . Might was well put Gabe Carimi in at TE if that is your goal.

that ^^

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Tom Crabtree Win The Starting Job? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools