Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Tom Crabtree Win The Starting Job? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 14, 2013, 12:03:12 AM »

Can Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Tom Crabtree Win Starting Job?

July 11, 2013 3:40 pm EDT

by Michael Terrill

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed Tom Crabtree to a two-year, $1.6 million contract in the hopes that he will bring valuable experience and solid production to the tight end position. Everyone appears to be convinced that tight end Luke Stocker is the real deal and prepared to have a break out year in 2013. The Buccaneers would obviously be thrilled if something like that happened. However, is Crabtree capable of stealing the show in training camp and winning the starting job?

The 27-year-old has all of the tools to excel at a high level. He has hauled in 18 receptions for 302 yards and four touchdowns in his three-year career with the Green Bay Packers where he played a backup role to Jermichael Finley. Most of that production occurred last year when he caught eight receptions for 203 yards and three touchdowns in 14 games. More importantly, Crabtree has had the privilege of catching passes from the best quarterback in the league, which should serve him well over the next couple years.

Crabtree has proven to have a nose for the big play, while his postseason experience should help Tampa Bay if they are fortunate enough to make some noise in the NFC this season. The fact that he has a Super Bowl ring means that he can speak up at the right times and deliver some quality advice to the more inexperienced players.

Stocker has all the makings to be a dominant tight end. Not to mention, the competition that Crabtree will provide in camp will most likely only make him better. With that being said, Crabtree did not sign with the Buccaneers just to be a backup without taking a legitimate stab at a starting role.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/07/11/can-tampa-bay-buccaneers-tom-crabtree-win-starting-job/?whoMjc2E3eRLpyYh.99

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 14, 2013, 12:09:01 AM »

It's his to lose.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #2 : July 14, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »

The thing that scares me most about 2013 is relying on and hoping so many players have break out seasons.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 14, 2013, 01:04:44 AM »

Freeman praised Danny Noble earlier on. Honestly he's just as much in the conversation as Stocker and Crabtree.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 14, 2013, 01:13:02 AM »

I believe it's his for the taking.

Either way, he's not going to post much more than Clark did in this offense. The main question would be, can he produce when he actually gets the ball tossed to him?

Because of the limits on TE use in sully's offense, he's going to have to be consistant coming off the shelf at any given moment. If he needs to get fed, he won't succeed.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 14, 2013, 01:17:24 AM »

It's his to lose.

agreed

-------------------------------------------------------

Ironworker808

Second String

« #6 : July 14, 2013, 01:55:13 AM »

Either way, he's not going to post much more than Clark did in this offense. The main question would be, can he produce when he actually gets the ball tossed to him?

Because of the limits on TE use in sully's offense, he's going to have to be consistant coming off the shelf at any given moment. If he needs to get fed, he won't succeed.

Isn't being "consistent coming off the shelf" what he did backing up Finley?

Haven't seen him play a lot, so don't know about any dropped passes, missed assignments, wrong routes, etc.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #7 : July 14, 2013, 02:03:33 AM »

Haven't seen him play a lot, so don't know about any dropped passes, missed assignments, wrong routes, etc.

That's pretty much what I'm asking to others here. I honestly haven't watched enough of him to say he's going to be legit playing a full-time role.

He's better than what else we have, but that's not saying a lot.

Of course, it's still like asking if you want crust with your pizza. No one really gives a sh1t if it's there, as long as the rest of it tastes good. In Schiano's dinner, they hate crust, so don't expect anything of Gonzo-like proportions.

Ironworker808

Second String

« #8 : July 14, 2013, 02:11:09 AM »

That's pretty much what I'm asking to others here. I honestly haven't watched enough of him to say he's going to be legit playing a full-time role.

He's better than what else we have, but that's not saying a lot.

Of course, it's still like asking if you want crust with your pizza. No one really gives a sh1t if it's there, as long as the rest of it tastes good. In Schiano's dinner, they hate crust, so don't expect anything of Gonzo-like proportions.

Oh I know! lol. The TE is like the fifth receiving option in Sully's scheme.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #9 : July 14, 2013, 02:17:31 AM »

Stocker will beat out crabtree. Bucs use te more as blockers so I think the job will come down to that. Both are average pass catchers and neither is speed mismatch.

It will come down to blocking and maybe even potential if thet prove to be close to equal in blocking. Imo these guys are very similar in their skill sets. Thats why I think balanced tes are what they are looking for when people clammor for one of the plentiful recieving weapo lns available at te.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #10 : July 14, 2013, 02:29:58 AM »

Wasn't he praised for his blocking abilities a few times tat? I heard a lot of talk about his ability to catch, and it seems to be true, but not a whole lot else.

Also, would we be out of line IF we thought maybe, just maybe, TE goes up on the checkdown list? He threw to winslow like crazy, and I believe his overall comp percentage was better, so would it suffice to say maybe Schiano would want to incorporate TE a bit more to raise the percentage a bit?

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #11 : July 14, 2013, 03:51:48 AM »

Stocker will beat out crabtree. Bucs use te more as blockers so I think the job will come down to that. Both are average pass catchers and neither is speed mismatch.

It will come down to blocking and maybe even potential if thet prove to be close to equal in blocking. Imo these guys are very similar in their skill sets. Thats why I think balanced tes are what they are looking for when people clammor for one of the plentiful recieving weapo lns available at te.

If its coming down to blocking than Byham has the edge on Stocker.

My opinion is that Stocker lacks the speed to be a decent tight end, i could easily see him being cut. Crabtree is a good bit faster

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 14, 2013, 07:37:37 AM »

I saw him in a playoff game and he had a great catch and run. I wonder why they didn't use him more because he was heaps faster than the starter.

I hope he's better than Stocker. Stocker has never once impressed me.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : July 14, 2013, 08:12:58 AM »

The  Bucs have 6 TE on the roster-Wright (rookie) Bynham, Miller, Noble, Crabtree and Stocker.  5 of them with experience. I really think its wide open. Think Stocker might not even make it this year. Miller is no slouch either-pro bowler 2 years ago.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 14, 2013, 11:14:19 AM »

Miller is no slouch either-pro bowler 2 years ago.

LOL , no he wasn't .

You are thinking of the Seahawks Zach Miller . We have the former Jaguars Zach Miller .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can Tom Crabtree Win The Starting Job? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools