Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cam Newton: I'm a Falcons fan all but two days a year « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Hate

Hall of Famer
: July 15, 2013, 08:16:35 PM

Cam Newton can't even pretend. He's still an Atlanta kid at his core.

Newton, speaking at his foundation's "Fun Day" at a YMCA in southwest Atlanta, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he still pulls for the Falcons when he's not playing them.

"It's always a heavily critiqued game," Newton said of the Falcons-Panthers divisional matchup. "I've always been a Falcons fan, and I'm still a Falcons fan except for those two times a year.

Overwrought Carolina Panthers fans might take issue with the quarterback's comments, but Newton is just being honest. Fans should understand better than anyone that your childhood team is your team for life. It shows that Newton actually is an NFL fan, unlike a lot of players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217816/article/cam-newton-im-a-falcons-fan-all-but-two-days-a-year

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 15, 2013, 08:26:39 PM

I saw that earlier.  Probably not something to share with nationwide media.  Especially when you are not exactly on solid ground with your present team.  If he bombs this season, it could be all over for him.  Then he can go be the Falcons QB of the future.  Too bad Matty Ice is only 28.  Cam would have a long wait.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 15, 2013, 08:31:44 PM

The only ppl who would have a problem with this are the under 21 crowd.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

ingey1968

Starter

#3 : July 15, 2013, 08:46:33 PM

I dont really see the big deal, he was being honest. People generally say players aren't honest and then when they are, they get backlash from doing it.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 15, 2013, 08:54:13 PM

No problem with being real.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 15, 2013, 09:16:38 PM

And at least when his team plays the Falcons, he's happy no matter what happens.

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 15, 2013, 09:58:39 PM

The only ppl who would have a problem with this are the under 21 crowd.

I would disagree.  I think the younger folks are more likely to find this okay, but the older generation of fans will be less so.  I'm an example.  There was a similar thread about Kappernic and his Dolphins hat.  Both are non-issues really, but I think it would be classier and more profesional to keep those thoughts to yourself and the hats in the closet until your career is over.  To me its just a matter of respect for the community you represent.  I think Newton's comments wouldn't sting as much if it wasn't a division rival.

MalcolmsPotofGold

Starter

#7 : July 15, 2013, 10:11:16 PM

Nothing wrong with it. His phrasing was just pretty bad. It is perfectly fine to want your hometown team to do well, but I would never want a team I'm competing for a division title with to go 14-2.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 15, 2013, 11:17:50 PM

A guy who is supposed to be the leader of the team and gets paid well by it should not be saying such things.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 15, 2013, 11:19:21 PM

Idiot.

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 15, 2013, 11:27:57 PM

So.....you pull for Atlanta to win games that impact your team? Another case of letting his mouth run the show instead of his brain. Cam is an idiot, he's always been and idiot and will always be an idiot. Fortunately, for him and his fans, he is an physically gifted idiot.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 15, 2013, 11:35:29 PM

Is anyone else glad we are not the ones who spent the 1st overall pick on this guy?

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 15, 2013, 11:42:55 PM

Oh no!!! A player still roots for the team he grew up with! For shame! Go kill yourself bro, once you get drafted you can never mention youre a fan of anything that doesnt involve your team! Whys he even doing charity work in atlanta? He should be doing that near charlotte or something. Just grow up dude and realise the firts 20or so years spent enjoying being a fan is worthless once you sign a contract!

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 15, 2013, 11:46:05 PM

Oh no!!! A player still roots for the team he grew up with! For shame! Go kill yourself bro, once you get drafted you can never mention youre a fan of anything that doesnt involve your team! Whys he even doing charity work in atlanta? He should be doing that near charlotte or something. Just grow up dude and realise the firts 20or so years spent enjoying being a fan is worthless once you sign a contract!
Blue font?

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#14 : July 15, 2013, 11:50:11 PM

Its one thing when its just a team... this is a division rivalry. Why does he have to publicize these particular comments?

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cam Newton: I'm a Falcons fan all but two days a year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools